Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    - But I wouldn't be inclined to "guess".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Boat has been in the shop all summer, water pump, thermostats, poppet valve, a new poppet actually made problem worse, the usual suspects all with negative results. At first the mechanic couldn't duplicate the problem, but after having the boat for a while and running and testing it multiple times he has experienced all of the same problems. As of today he wants to pull the head to see if there's any visible problems with gaskets or debris or anything affecting the cooling system. No guarantees he'll find anything. The alarms are consistently for overheat.

He's talked to Mercury. There was a series of these outboards that had similar problems, but this engine was not built within that date range.

Including the service to date, plus pulling the head (4hrs) probably looking at $1000. I'm thinking it over....

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Olemon- Did you get PRINTOUTS of the Run History and the Freeze Frame (Fault) History?

I know you've been dealing with this a couple years now- sure would be nice to see a resolution to this thread sometime before I retire.

VERY, VERY important: When the Water Pump was done in the shop this summer, HOW MANY GASKETS WERE REPLACED in the Water Pump?

I more than "slightly" suspect a broken/damaged gasket UNDERNEATH the impeller plate or the water pump base.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    There are printouts. I haven't picked them up though. The mechanic thought that the gasket under the impeller plate could be the problem too and that was the first thing he tried. He tells me he's changed out all of those parts. He said the water pressure is okay, no components are malfunctioning, temp sensor matches the heat gun, both heads run hot. I talked to him again this morning and gave him a green light to pull the power head.

Re: retirement, you and me both:)

5. Member
    retirement; huh you cant, its what we do we are searchers of whats wrong a dieing breed of craftsmen,fixers, and perfectionist to a tee,what would the masses do foul a plug discard what they have and buy a new don't think so, retirement ,haaaaahaaa
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I agree... it's probably just wishful thinking. Will likely have to settle for a little time here and there.

Olemon... ran into this gasket scenario just yesterday in the shop. There are TWO DIFFERENT gaskets that will fit under the impeller plate. They ARE different (there is one bridge that is missing on the HP gasket... same one that I suspected might be BROKEN on the standard-production gasket).

Have to use the correct one...

7. Member
    I spoke to the tech about the possibility that the gasket could be the culprit. He didn't believe that was the problem and pulled the power head, but didn't find anything wrong. Now he has contacted Mercury a few of times about this motor and apparently there was a group of these engines that had the same overheating problem and Mercury came up with a kit to fix it. Based on Ser No. this motor shouldn't need the kit, but based on Year it does, or so said the Mercury Reps. Two different stories. Anyway, the tech installed the kit and tested the motor today with the computer hooked up. No overheating and no alarms. I'm not 100% sure what the kit consists of, but I sure hope that's done it. I should get the boat back later this week. I'll try to run it this weekend and let you know so that everyone can enjoy their retirement.

This kit, maybe?

'Anyone have experience installing this kit 884236A1 that corrects overheating problem by rearranging water lines from thermostats on the 2002 and earlier Optimax DFI 150/135/115?'

A discussion here...http://www.mercurypartsus.com/forum4...es-th3294.html
    Last edited by olemon; 10-10-2017 at 05:02 PM.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably an updated poppet valve kit- possibly with a restrictor for the bypass hose.

May or may not resolve your complaint... though I still think the source is described in Posts 23 & 26.

9. Member
    Got the boat. Haven't run it yet. They did install a poppet. Originally the tech said that made the problem worse, but they hadn't installed it correctly. On this motor the two thermostat hoses connected to a single hose in a 'Y' configuration. The kit eliminated the 'Y' and added a second connector at the base. Each thermostat now discharges through its own hose to the connection at the base.
    Last edited by olemon; 10-14-2017 at 01:32 PM.

10. Member
    Ran the boat this morning. No alarms. Put it through all of the usual paces. No issues.

I do have the printouts - used to use Photobucket - guess that's not free anymore. Here's a snapshot.

Run History

202.9 / Total Run Time

Run Time HRS / RPM Range

74.9 / 0-999
    13.3 / 1000-1499
    10.5 / 1500-2999
    28.6 / 3000-3999
    40.0 / 4000-4999
    6.8 / 5000-5999
    0.0 / 6000+

Fault Seconds

Over Temp Seconds / 2269
    RPM Limit Counts / 6
    RPM Limit Seconds / 1
    ACT Temp Seconds / 0
    Block Pressure Seconds / 1147
    Coolant Temp STBD Seconds / 4714
    Coolant Temp PORT Seconds / ----
    Oil Loss Seconds / 0
    Guardian Seconds / 2265

Fault Counts

Ignition 5 / 7
    Injector 2 / 201
    Main Power Relay / 13
    Warning Lamp Drivers / 189
    TP No-Adapt / 22
    TP Link Adjust / 845

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Given that you have 4 primary problems noted in the Fault Seconds/Counts, each of which could result in Guardian... it may be necessary to run the engine again, and then compare WHICH numbers are increasing. Some of these items may be older (and already addressed).

-TP No-Adapt, Link
    -Overheat w/Block Pressure Low
    -Injector 2
    -Ignition 5.

12. Member
    Just wanted to close the loop on this thread, finally!

We spent a full day on the water here recently and really put the Optimax to the test. I'm happy to report that there were no issues and no alarms, it ran like a top. I'm even happier to report that we sold the boat.

Thank you for your all your time and effort.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12