Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The "Rubber" that Oldtimer is speaking of is an integral portion of the Thermostat (comes molded to the t-stat assembly). It is NOT the GASKET (and does not take place of the gasket).

Thermostat covers still require an 8503181 gasket (one per side). Perhaps he has been "lucky" and his gaskets remained in place.
    That's EXACTLY what I thought you would say!

2. Member
    I suppose that is possible. I am sure I will have to remove 'em again within a month, I will look carefully at the housing side (where the gasket would usually go I would assume). I did look at the head side and there is no gasket material or anything visible there, just aluminum. Not real sure of the point of the rubber around the t'stat AND a gasket that obviously would sit on top of the rubber, but who knows?

Hardly a day goes by that I don't learn something new about something, this is obviously another case of that...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

I can't tell you how many times I've pulled my thermostats to clean them in the last 13 years. The gaskets have always remained on the housing. One of these days I guess I should change them.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    I can't tell you how many times I've pulled my thermostats to clean them in the last 13 years. The gaskets have always remained on the housing. One of these days I guess I should change them.
    Damn, I wish it was that way. I clean mine out at least once a month... And 95% of my fishing is done on Norris Lake, a deep clear lake... Dan

5. Member
    Keep your motor trimmed up, when your on the trolling motor...…..BIG difference!

6. Banned
    Thanks for the tip... I'll try anything... Dan

7. Member
    Im dealing with this for the first time on my 2018. I idled back to the ramp saturday and remove the stats tonight. Both of them had a few pieces of sand.

my question is: i noticed as soon as i came off plane that my temp wasn't coming back up like normal. If i had immediately gotten back on plane and ran wot wouldn't the stats opened back up possibly flushing the debris out? I know that my motor runs below 100 degrees on plane normally this time of year even when it is working correctly, so i cant see how getting back on plane would have hurt anything.

obviously running a completely cooled motor would be a bad idea.
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thermostats control temp at idle. Once you begin to plane off, the poppet valve opens and provides a straight-through flow of water (thermostats may not open at all during planing speeds, especially in cool water temps).

Don't rely on any type of "gun it and flush it" technique. That approach often leads to an "unscheduled disassembly".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Thermostats control temp at idle. Once you begin to plane off, the poppet valve opens and provides a straight-through flow of water (thermostats may not open at all during planing speeds, especially in cool water temps).

Don't rely on any type of "gun it and flush it" technique. That approach often leads to an "unscheduled disassembly".
    Makes sense, thanks for the reply Don!
    2018 Phoenix 819 / 2018 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Are there any videos on doing this? I was out Saturday and think I had a thermostat get stuck a couple of times. Couldn’t get the idle temp up, then a little later it worked fine. I want to check the thermostats and clean them if necessary.

As far as the service manual, can I download/buy it online? Thanks.

11. Member
    Sounds like you lucked out. Not much in fixing what is not broken. IE if you can't get up to 125 or so, they need to come out and cleaned to get whatever it is that is blocking it removed. If it is now working normally, it probably self-cleaned when it eventually opened and water went through it. Amazingly, it does not take a big rock or piece of wood. The smallest thing can get trapped in there and prevent proper warmup. You'd think grass would not do the trick, but 90% of my t-stat problems were nothing but grass. I could not even see it until I took each stat and put them in 150 degree water. They would open, and a piece or two of grass would then fall out. And the problem was gone. Never had pebbles and the like myself, as I am pretty cautious about stuffing the gear case into crap. But grass can happen anywhere. I'd bet the Big O keeps everyone busy cleaning.

BTW no service manual downloads. But contact Don and he can get you the RIGHT one quickly. I did this myself and they were very quick.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Are there any videos on doing this? I was out Saturday and think I had a thermostat get stuck a couple of times. Couldn’t get the idle temp up, then a little later it worked fine. I want to check the thermostats and clean them if necessary.

As far as the service manual, can I download/buy it online? Thanks.
    See the FAQ Section- there are instructions there for cleaning thermostats. I don't recommend "tube" videos as many of them are riddled with costly errors. The instructions listed n the FAQ have been followed many, many times with success.

Mercury does not offer "digital format" Service Manuals to the end consumer. You would need to purchase a hard-copy manual (see Rhonda's post, pinned at the top of the Forum- she can set you up).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member

Just took my thermostats out and cleaned them for the first time, had never done it before. Pretty easy and hopefully I didn't mess anything up. I did not have to move the fuel rail back for the port side, was very easy to get to the thermostat cover and get it out. Starboard side I Had to lose the fuel rail and move it back. I had a small 8mm wrench that I was able to get on the one bolt on the port side and easily remove it and I used a small ratchet and socket on the other bolt o the port side. I hooked up the water hose, started the motor up afterwards, and the tamp went right up tp 120. I had one on the starboard side (top one) that started to come out but I pushed it right back in, never came out all the way. I took some photos if anyone wants to see them and I'll be glad to email or text them. Might help for someone doing ti the first time just to orient yourself to where everything is.

Stupid question I know but read the instructions Don posted and I assume oiling the injectors is only if they come out? After going back and reading the instructions maybe I should have oiled the injectors on the side where the fuel rail attaches. Should I go back and oil them or too late now, won't matter?

15. Member
    Won't matter now.

Thanks, that’s what I figured.

17. Member
    Before having the instructions in front of me, I bled the port side Schrader valve, no pressure noticed, then like a dummy, bled the starboard side, fuel came out. I realized my mistake. Can this lead to problems? I have not water tested the T stats. Are there other steps needed to rectify the issue or will it be OK?

1B840713

Thanks
    Dave

18. Member
    No problem with pressures being bled off.

19. Member
    Thank you Savage!
    Dave

20. Member
    I am going to do this for the first time myself. Want to learn how to take care of this. My plan is to just put new Tstats in and then clean the originals (2009 Pro XS 1B750829).

I also have a set of new gaskets. A couple of questions:

1. Do I need to put loctite (Blue) on the Tstat cover bolts?
    2. How do I know if an injector comes out too when sliding the fuel rail?

Anything else to check on or be careful of?

Thanks!
    Tim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast