Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    when you see smoke from exhaust ports youll know its full [builds own press]
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Thanks.....kinda thought so but wasn't sure.

3. Member
    It's very easy I replaced mine today, takes an hour to complete

4. Member
    I did mine yesterday but when I went to relieve the air pressure on the port side, nothing came out. Then I went to remove the fuel pressure on the starboard side nothing came out of it either. Is that normal? I ran the motor earlier in the day and it sat for about an hour before I took it apart. This was my first time doing this procedure.

5. Member
    Here's a question. My 200 pro xs (2014) has had this issue twice this year. BOTH times on the starboard t-stat. I've helped a couple of friends over the past couple of years with the same problem (6 beeps once, during idling). Is this common (starboard side on all of 'em) or is it just random luck that we all had a piece of wood or sliver in just the starboard t-stat???
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

6. Member
    Random.

7. Member
    I just removed both t stats on my 05 opti 150 but there where no gaskets.

Is this previous owner messing up or do some models have no gasket and just seal with the runner seal around the tstat

8. Member
    Ah I just noticed the faq section in the 2.5l on t stats links me to here my bad

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ride.race.live View Post
    Ah I just noticed the faq section in the 2.5l on t stats links me to here my bad
    That link is a reference only. If you have questions specific to your 2.5L Engine model, feel free to open a separate thread on the 2.0, 2.4, 2.5L Forum.

Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member

Regardless answered my own question

Went to a dealer and pulled up his parts fiche no gaskets just rubber seal around t stat.

11. Member
    I'm replacing the thermostats on my 2008 200 Optimax. The manual says to put oil on thermostat bolts. The bolts look like they have blue thread lock on them. Should I use oil as the manual says, mediuim strength thread lock or nothing? The torque on these bolts is 100 inch lbs.

12. Member
    If the manual states to lubricate with oil in conjunction with a torque spec, then the bolts should be lubricated.
    If u dont lubricate the threads, then you may not achieve the required bolt pre tension, due to too much friction between the threads.

Conversely, a torque spec which requires no lubrication should not be lubricated. In this case, if the bolt is lubricated, too much tension will be applied and the bolt could fail during torque up or perhaps under external loading during operation.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtnt View Post
    I'm replacing the thermostats on my 2008 200 Optimax. The manual says to put oil on thermostat bolts. The bolts look like they have blue thread lock on them. Should I use oil as the manual says, mediuim strength thread lock or nothing? The torque on these bolts is 100 inch lbs.
    I would degrease the bolts and torque with blue Loctite.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not sure what manual you're looking at, but I suspect you're off by about an inch (the HEAD BOLTS get oiled....)

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    I am not certain about all the 3.0's, but my 2014 200 Pro XS is pretty easy to get to. The points of pain are two of the 4 bolts. One on each t-stat. One is easy to get on with a ¼" drive socket. The other is harder. I use an 8mm wrench which can snake around the obstructions to the other bolt, and can remove both t-stats without having to fiddle with the fuel rails at all.

Also, I see gaskets mentioned, but in mine, each t-stat has a rubber gasket that grabs onto the t-stat mounting flange, and it has come off cleanly every time I have had to remove 'em. And personally, that is happening WAY too damned often. Seems to be mostly on the starboard t-stat which seems odd, but it is what it is. I usually burn an hour doing this as I also remove the bottom half of the cowl and pull the compressor strainer as well. To clean the t-stats, I go put em in a pan of water that was heated to boiling, let 'em open up, and brush 'em out with a toothbrush as stuff will get trapped in the gap and then stick there until you take action to remove it.

The first couple of times I did this, I loosened the rail nuts so that the two nuts were even with the stud, giving just a bit of extra room, but the last couple of times I bypassed that completely and just finagled with the small 8mm wrench to get the two hard bolts out.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

16. Member
    What is the part number for the "Rubber" thermostat gasket, that the Oldtimer speaks of?

17. Member
    No idea. This was on my FACTORY t-stats. I remove the two small bolts on each housing, pull them away, and I see a milled surface with the t-stat in the hole. The metal flange that seals to the head on one side and the housing on the other has a rubber gasket that has a "slit" around the inside that fits over the t-stat flange. No other gasket to be found, and zero water leaks. I looked at the service manual for my SN, and it does show a gasket with two holes for bolts, one on each end. My motor has never had those. When I removed them for the first time, it was pretty obvious they had not been removed by previous owner due to paint that covered everything looking brand new with no cracking.

No idea what is going on, but what I have works perfectly so I am happy. Wish I understood the t-stat issue, but I don't. Could not find what I have in my factory service manual, but I have encountered that in the past here and there so it's not a surprise...

Never seen this kind of rubber t-stat seal? Can't imagine mine is a one-off deal. It is a 2014 year motor, sn# 2B090405. Just ended the final year of platinum service back in April of this year.
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

18. Member
    My question was for Don, or Joe54.

What is the part number for the "Rubber" thermostat gasket, that the Oldtimer speaks of?

19. Member
    I understood oldtimer to say he doesn’t have thermostat gaskets and that he was describing the rubber ring that comes preinstalled on the stat. I could be wrong though.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The "Rubber" that Oldtimer is speaking of is an integral portion of the Thermostat (comes molded to the t-stat assembly). It is NOT the GASKET (and does not take place of the gasket).

Thermostat covers still require an 8503181 gasket (one per side). Perhaps he has been "lucky" and his gaskets remained in place.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast