1996 Mercury xr6 150 possible oil problem. HELP!

I have a 1996 mercury xr6 150 and i am getting the beep-beep-beep-beep when i start the engine. I am pretty sure this means an oil problem and i have checked the tank on the motor and the reserve tank in the boat. Both are completely full. Had the boat out on the lake the other day and was fine all day until I went to come in and as i was in the idle zone, the beeping started, so i immediatly shut it down and trolled in. I know there are other possibilities, but if you could possibly give me a good place to start i would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Also, is it ok to just premix the gas until i can get the problem resolved?

2. Member
    If the beep is cause by something other than an oiling problem , , , ,
    So many honey-dos . . . . . so little motivation

3. Member
    are you saying you dont think its an oil problem?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See email responses.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWompum View Post
    are you saying you dont think its an oil problem?
    What I meant to say was that if you took the step you described (pre-mixing) and the cause of the warning was not oil related, you'd still be operating with the real problem and perhaps putting the motor at risk.

Sorry for being cryptic.
    So many honey-dos . . . . . so little motivation