Question Help? Need an understanding of how things are powered?

Hello,

I am new the forum and just purchased my first boat. My boat is a 1979 Caravelle CX173 with a 1966 Mercury 65hp 4 cylinder on it. Motor seems to run pretty well so far but I really don't know anything about them yet to be a good judge. I am told this is a good motor and will last for that I am thankful. Currently the boat is undergoing a major rebuild. The floor was so rotten that the transom came out in 30 minutes by hand alone, and the longest piece of wood I took was from the center stringer and it was almost 2 ft long. WOW. Now to the point, the people before me had pretty much stripped every piece of wiring off the boat except the battery and steering cables so I will be rewiring it too. The boat that I am most familiar with is a little alum. boat with a trolling motor. What I know about that is the battery drained and then we recharged it before going back out.

The Caravelle only has 1 battery but I am going to get at least 1 more. I have the 65 hp motor and a trolling motor and would like to hook up the rpm, bilge alert, radio, inverter and lights up as a minimum. I am a hands on woman that needs a little guidance here: I know the car battery recharges due to the alternator, but there is not one on a boat.

1) Are you guys charging your batteries between use or is there some cleaver way to recharge while on the lake?
    2) Do I need to run a line from the battery thru an inverter or even a fuse panel of some sort before going to the motor and other components? I have read on here about fuses but am not seeing the need for a fuse if the battery is not connect to a ground supply of power. Lightning would be the other super charge and that would probably fry things anyhow right?
    3) I want everything to run on switch so it can be turned off if I need to reserve power, and my life well for the time being will be a cooler so I need an inverter to hook to I am thinking. What is a good size inverter to have on a boat to run the live well and radio?
    4) Do you have any diagrams that might aid me in the rewiring process?
    5) This boat rotted I believe because water sat in the bottom over the years, and it was left outside uncovered. There were no vents for the lower part of the boat to breath which I will add but is there a solar powered fan that works with the vents or is it just based on air circulating while you ride around the lake?
    6) Is 2 batteries enough or should I have 2 for normal boat operations and 1 separate for the trolling motor?

I really appreciate your thoughts, ideas and help on this. Thanks Guys aj
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AJJMH; 05-15-2012 at 08:11 AM.

2. Member
    First off, nice looking boat and second, wth is she holding a gator? lol

1) Always charge when not in use!! Get a good 2/3/4 bank charger for charging when not in use. Get the multi-stage type that has a normal charge and a trickle charge/maintenance. You can find one at just about any sporting goods store (BPS, Academy, Cabelas). If you plan to be out for extremely long periods using the trolling motor, I suggest you get a "Charge-and-Run" system as well, check out Minn Kotas Onboard DC altenator chargers (On-Board DC Alternator Chargers :: Minn Kota Alternator Charger :: Minn Kota Motors Online Store) Yes, Minn Kota chargers will work with your Motorguide!

2) No inverter, the starter is designed to be powered by 12V DC power as well as most other marine devices, just like your car. I would however put a fuse between any other electronics you have on there such as lights, depth/fish finders, radios ect...

3) Until the boat that I have now, I have always had a master power switch for everything on the boat EXCEPT the main motor and trolling motor. This is not a bad idea. It is also a good idea to have a switch for each individual system. Lights (nav & anchor), livewell/baitwell, bilge pump (even if it is an automatic), ect.. No inverters are needed, all these devices are designed to work off 12V DC

4) Tell me what all you have and want to re-wire and I will gladly work with you and possibly even provide prints (Where are you located, if you are close to Guntersville, AL I might possibly even come help you do it)

5) Use something like this (Walmart.com: DampRid RV and Boat Moisture Absorber: Fishing & Marine) and when you arent using it, be sure to store it in a dry place if possible with the transom plug out

6) Unless your trolling motor is a 24V or you will have a whole bunch of electronics running I think 2 batteries would be plenty for you (one for the cranking and electronics and one for the trolling motor). Make sure the trolling motor is the only thing on the trolling motor battery. If you plan on staying out for long periods and just sitting with your radio on, lights on, electronics on, live well on, and a phone charger or two going, I would suggest you take a spare battery though.

Check out Walmart's Everstart Maxx Marine Series and get the largest one you can afford and fit in the boat. In my opinion 1 large battery is better than two small batteries.

3. Member
    Yes it is an alligator I am holding. I have had the opportunity to hold small gators about 4 or 5 different times and I would love to do it again - ANYTIME! I am in Brandon, MS just outside of Jackson. I have done some wiring around the house before but simple stuff like replacing switches or outlets, running lights off a switch to create an overhead light, garden wiring for lights - that sort of stuff. I use to be a firefighter/paramedic so there is not much I can't do or at least try.

I had spoke with Aqua Fiberglass Repair about doing that work since I have not done it before but I just can't afford their price of $4500 so I will be doing that work too. I don't have any special date it has to be done so I can just focus on doing it right and when it is done it is done. I just got a deal at Home Depot on the resin and am excited about that. Now I am going to order the rest of my material and in 7 - 10 days I will begin. Until then I will just finish removing the last bit of wood, grind it down and let it sit and dry until the supplies arrive. I am getting more and more excited.

I am not 100% sure what all electronics I want on it yet but I know that I will be using it mostly to fish. If others come out with me from time to time then perhaps the radio would be played, but I doubt I will use it much. I love nature. I would like to have some sort of live well as I want to start getting into tournaments but for now that will be a cooler with aerator in it which I already have. I can definitely see me out all day, I have had men go to sleep on the boat when they go out with me. I don't even have to catch fish to be happy. lol. Depth/fish finder eventually yes, perhaps a gas gauge, rpm gauge, trolling motor, bilge pump and lights are all I will probably be using at first. My anchor is woman powered.

Anyhow, thanks for the book. I write them to so I appreciate the extra info and details. Thanks so much.
    AJ
    I LOVE ALLIGATORS! Too bad they get so large, otherwise I would have several as pets.