3 wire trim motor to 2 wire trim motor diagram/Help

I have a buddy that has a 1986 Mariner, his trim motor went out and he bought a replacement. The old motor has a blue, green and ground from the motor. The new motor has only the green and blue wires. the new motor also came with a new harness that includes a 50amp fuse, ground wire, two relays and green and blue wires to the trim motor and two smaller green and blue wires that I assume go to the trim switch. Can anyone post a wiring diagram for the newer motor or at least explain how the new motor should wire up.
    Thanks a ton
    Dave Moeller

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Dave:

Very simple, actually.

Larger gauge blue and green wires from relays attach to the new trim motor.

The trim relay packs will have a GROUND (black) and a POWER (red) wire that must be attached to the starter solenoid power post, and a good ground, respectively.

The smaller gauge blue and green wires on the relay packs will be driven from the trim switches (wires that previously activated each of the solenoids that drove the 3-wire motor).

Remove the old trim solenoids, and all other related wiring COMPLETELY.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member

Thumbs Up

Thanks a bunch buddy, works just fine.

4. Member
    Hey Don,

I'm doing this conversion right now on my 1985 Mercury 175. Finding it difficult to mount the relays and all the wiring into the original solenoid locations. Any reason I couldn't zip tie it all up tight? Also, the solenoids were grounded to the air box. Is this a good ground location for the relays? I have enough wire to go to the negative post on the starter solenoid.
    Arnold Custom Cabinets
    214-931-8647

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would recommend mounting the RELAYS at the back of the engine, or down below the switchboxes. Ground to the electrical plate, or a good ground (not to the airbox).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor