Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    switched the ecus yesterday but still same cylinder has issues.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Reeds inspected?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I looked them over when I reinstalled the injectors, there was no visible cracks or splits, but that is as in depth as my inspection went

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If your inspection did NOT include REMOVING the reed plate, and inspecting the condition of the reeds from the CRANKCASE side of the reed cages... I would strongly recommend that you do so.

BTW... this would be an excellent time to consider upgrading reeds (though you would want to ensure that BOTH engines are upgraded, as you need to retain similar performance characteristics in your "twin application").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    What benefits would I achieve by upgrading the reeds is it a cost effective upgrade to my fuel economy or is it something for longevity and piece of mind?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Benefits include (but aren't necessarily limited to):

-Improved idle quality
    -Improved Holeshot
    -Snappier mid-range
    -Safer (in the event of breakage).

(SOME make claims of improved top-end. I don't subsribe to this notion... it's likely attributed to the fact that they actually HAVE a complete set of reeds in the end).

Proper Sync-n-Link is required, of course after reassembly.

7. Member
    if the weather holds up i will pull the front off and check the reeds and injector harness, so i will be needing some more intake gaskets. will i need any other gaskets?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You would need the intake gaskets, AND the reed plate gaskets (for both engines).

9. Member
    This is what happened to me once. Not saying this has anything to due with your issue but, it might. Did you switch coils from one engine to another? What happened to me was , i was working on a 90hp merc that had a miss, first thing i checked the plugs 2 were wet, had good compression so i check spark on coils had really good spark on 1 and the other 2 had spark but alot weaker. So i picked up 2 coils put then on, started it up same thing. Now what i did was replace the coil that had the best spark before., now all coils sparked the same and engine runs good. Now that being said i've been a auto tech for 20+ yrs never seen it but it did happen. Maybe someone can enlighten me.
    1994 RANGER 391V 10"JACK 200MERC

10. Member
    Reason i mention this you stated very good spark on 1 cyl.
    1994 RANGER 391V 10"JACK 200MERC

11. Member
    i pulled the reeds today and they were all intact and looked fine,ther was a lot of gas and oil residue all over everything from the reeds to the intake. ther was also trash in one of my bleed lines and a strange pool of black stuff at the bottom of the intake cover. the motor hasnt been ran in three or four days but i did cycle the key a few times before i tore into the intake.some of the injectors also had what looked like raw fuel on them here are some pics of what i found1photo.jpg2photo.jpgphoto.jpg

12. Member
    correction,the black smudge was on the top of the intake cover

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Can you get a better angle of those reeds (so they're ALL visible)?

Puddling/fuel in the intake is not unusual... especially if the engine was running at idle (partially trimmed). Definitely clean the debris from the bleed port... and would be a good idea to check those bleed fittings/check valves.

Ranger 391: I think you'll find you have a completely different engine, with CDM ignition. That would explain your "coil situation" (read up on CDM ignition system in the repair manual).

14. Member

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those look pretty good (still not a bad idea to replace, since you're already there).

Have you re-verified the fuel pressure and pressure drop (with key off) to confirm that you've SOLVED that problem?

Fuel pressure should remain virtually steady from 5-60 seconds after key turned off (no more than 2-4 psi pressure drop after 5 seconds). If it's still leaking down drastically, this problem MUST be located and corrected.

16. Member
    think i found my problem!!!!! i set up a bench test by assembling my injection and vst in the vise and pressurizing the system,then i made a momentary switch and applied 1.5 volts across the injector. the number 3 injector(which is the cylinder im having trouble with) had no atomaztion at all. i repeated this on the number one cylinder which i new to be good and it was spraying a fine mist the way it should.so i guess my injectors are going back for another cleaning. i may just send don my whole intake and let him give it a good once over.

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Send that entire intake.... I'll be glad to re-run that set for you.

If one's bad.... we should have some spares.

18. Member
    sent my vst to don to have it checked out and fix my fuel leak down issue. i thought this would have been the second time it was cleaned because i had a mobile marine mechanic disassemble it because the fuel pump was not pumping fuel because the pump was seized up. apparently the mechanic thought charging for the cleaning was the same as actually doing the work. after giving him the 300$ for the work, and still not fixing my problem, i decided to take over and do the work myself.after having don clean my injectors,i reassembled the motor and tried running it. it ran great for about twenty minutes,then fell on its face. by assuming the vst was clean,i think it clogged my injectors again. live and learn i guess?now my components are in good hands with don so he can work his magic.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    DEFINITELY could have spent a little more time cleaning.... VST, pump, filter, regulator final filter all dirty.

HPPump.jpgVST.jpg

20. Member
    Fuel tank inspected and cleaned,Vst and injectors have been put back on the motor,and a full sync and link done. Took it out labor day weekend and she ran like a top.thanks don for all the help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast