leaking power steering

Hi guys,

I've been losing some power steering fluid and was wondering if the seals can be replaced?

Thanks

2. Member
    if its a sea star, no problem. There are board sponsors that carry the seal kit. Just a word of caution, they are not cheap!

3. Member
    What part of the system is leaking? The cylinder by engine or steering helm. I replaced my seals on the cylinder next to the engine. Not difficult No experience with the steering helm seal.

4. Member
    It's a sea star and it's on the cylinder next to the engine

5. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corvette joe View Post
    if its a sea star, no problem. There are board sponsors that carry the seal kit. Just a word of caution, they are not cheap!
    true that, just went through it myself but steering is great now. It is nothing to mess with so get it fixed fast.

6. Member
    Those are easy to change. Order a seal kit and spanner tool online. You will
    also need 2 quarts of hydraulic fluid. Follow instructions in kit. I replaced mine in about 2 hours including bleeding. Was fishing later the later the same day.

7. Member
    How much did the seal kit and spanner tool cost altogether. I think I'll try to take on this task. Thanks all for the replies.

8. Member
    Common issue, I had mine fixed at marine dealer shop. The seals eventually wear from piston moving in/out. Good idea to wipe piston clean of dirt, etc frequently

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basinmaster View Post
    Those are easy to change. Order a seal kit and spanner tool online. You will
    also need 2 quarts of hydraulic fluid. Follow instructions in kit. I replaced mine in about 2 hours including bleeding. Was fishing later the later the same day.
    You can easily do it. Instructions are on this forum! I paid 120 from jamestown distributors, which was on the high side for the kit and wrench. Plus I had the stuff overnighted for a tournament. But it was worth it and they should last a long time.

10. Member
    Those seal kits are a rip off. I found mine at a seal place in Tulsa called Sealco. Costs me less than $15, I made my own spanner wrench and I was good to go. Then all you need is some fluid. Check your yellow pages for a seal place, take one of your end caps with you and see if they can match them. Good luck, Jim

11. Member
    i broke my loose with a pipe wrench,and tightened it back with a pin wrench because it was going to break the pin wrench getting it loose

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moldman View Post
    Those seal kits are a rip off. I found mine at a seal place in Tulsa called Sealco. Costs me less than $15, I made my own spanner wrench and I was good to go. Then all you need is some fluid. Check your yellow pages for a seal place, take one of your end caps with you and see if they can match them. Good luck, Jim
    Did you have a part number from the seal from Sealco?

Would like to try and cross check the part number.

JAZII

13. Member
    Looked for the invoice but couldn't find it. Sorry. You need to find a seal place that specializes in seals and not bearings. May take some legwork. Good luck, Jim