Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

DON'T run "aftermarket equivalent" spark plugs in your Opti!

There's been PLENTY of talk over the years about spark plugs.... and their cost.

While Mercury's plug are indeed more expensive- they come with a ONE YEAR PARTS AND LABOR WARRANTY. What this means- is that if the plug comes apart- and it's the right plug, you have the ENGINE MANUFACTURER standing behind that plug.

If you're price shopping.... PLEASE, PLEASE buy ONLY the recommended spark plug.

For those of you under warranty- remember, that although the engine manufacturer cannot void your warranty for use of an aftermarket product (see the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act of 1976)... they DO have the right to DENY a warranty claim if that aftermarket product "contributed to, or caused a failure".

The pictures below are from an Optimax that ran an "aftermarket equivalent" (term used very loosely) spark plug with a name similar to "car-o-light" for less than 10 minutes... the plugs OBVIOUSLY were not even remotely "equivalent" (not even the correct heat range or reach):

The above pretty well negated ANY potential savings.... preignition/detonation resulting in hot-spots near the edge of the piston dish resulted in catastrophic piston failure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member

Re: DON'T run "aftermarket equivalent" spark plugs in your Opti! (EuropeanAM)

It seems ridiculous to me when people try to save a few dollars on very critical replacements parts, correct fuel with additives and of course, oil. If I have to cut back somewhere, it will be how much running the motor does, not how cheap I can make it run, expecting the motor to run as advertised. That picture doesn't speak a thousand words, but thousands of dollars. Harsh to say, but I hope the owner has some of that money he "saved".

3. Member

Re: DON'T run "aftermarket equivalent" spark plugs in your Opti! (EuropeanAM)

I just say ! your recommended plugs are cheap in states, over the sea where i lives that plug cost FOUR ( 4 ) times more..
    Peter Sandstrom /// Sweden

Re: DON'T run "aftermarket equivalent" spark plugs in your Opti! (Eagle670)

Some things are "worth" the money you "spend" on them. An automobile is no different. IMHO
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

5. Banned

Re: DON'T run "aftermarket equivalent" spark plugs in your Opti! (rdc5445)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by rdc5445 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">It seems ridiculous to me when people try to save a few dollars on very critical replacements parts, correct fuel with additives and of course, oil. If I have to cut back somewhere, it will be how much running the motor does, not how cheap I can make it run, expecting the motor to run as advertised. That picture doesn't speak a thousand words, but thousands of dollars. Harsh to say, but I hope the owner has some of that money he "saved".</td></tr></table>

+10000000000000000000

My girl gets mad when I stop and by the seafoam, stabil, quickleen (all 3 bottles) and then place them all in tank... and then purchase the oil... and that i only run shell 93 in the XB.

I try to explain that 100+ dollars of fuel and additives is better than 15 grand in a new engine.

6. Member
    When you say OEM spark plugs do you mean NGK or does Mercury actually make a spark plug of their own?

Johnny

Re: (machinist)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by machinist &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">When you say OEM spark plugs do you mean NGK or does Mercury actually make a spark plug of their own?

Johnny </td></tr></table>

Whatever is called for in your manual.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (machinist)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by machinist &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">When you say OEM spark plugs do you mean NGK or does Mercury actually make a spark plug of their own?

Johnny </td></tr></table>

Good question!

In the case of the Optimax engines, Mercury sells NGK plugs under their own part number.

You CAN purchase the correct plug through another NGK supplier or vendor, and still get the correct plug (avoiding the scenario pictured above).

However.... there is a difference in the Warranty of the spark plug. Mercury's Parts and Accessories Warranty covers PARTS and LABOR (when a defect in materials or workmanship is apparent).

In the case of the engine pictured above- it literally could have made a $5K+ difference in the customer's wallet.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member

Re: (EuropeanAM)

I had thee IZFR6J plugs put in for my 100 hour service. Are these the plugs that come from Mercury or NGK?

If NGK, what is the part number for the Mercury plugs?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (BrownTrout)

Jim:

The 225 ProXS utilizes IZFR6J, or Mercury Part# 843220Q (Quantity of SIX).