Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Question **Flurocarbon Decisions

So I am tired of paying $22 for 200yrds of 17lb test berkley 100% flurocarbon. I have 6 reels I use this stuff on (spinnerbait and crankbaits) and really like it, but it is really starting to add up $$ wise. I was looking at getting berkley vanish for $10 for 250yrds. So I would basically spend half the amount of money in re-stringing my reels. I fish alot so I basically replace the line on my reels about every month and a half.

I know the old vanish "made your fish vanish" but on the box it says..."new and improved", so I didnt know if they really did improve this stuff or not?

I was looking at seguar redline, but they do not make a 17lb test in the stuff, which also cost $10 for 200yrds. I can only find 20lb test and I believe that may bee too much for my shallow water cranks and spinnerbaits....

Thanks for any help!
    2007 Skeeter 20i class, Yamaha HPDI 250 "If the boat does not rock on your hookset, you are not setting it HARD ENOUGH!!" **Common sense is not common, it is a function of experience and training**

If you are using that much of the 100% 17lb, and you like it, then I would get a 1000-3000 yard spool of it. This will cut the cost considerably and it will also be more cost effective as you won't end up with an unusable amount of line left after 1-2 refills. I assume you are backing with old line and just respooling the last 70-100 yards with new line, that of course will cut the cost of respooling in half right there.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Yeah it still makes your fish vanish. My brother lost 3 keepers last tournament and cost us first by 4 oz. Hundreds of dollars difference in 1st and second place. Brand new off the shelf Vanish I think14lb. I didnt break off a single fish with 10# Mccoys and had Big Bass for the day.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Is it something with Berkley 100% or any flouro, I wonder if it seems so expensive since it breaks so often, I was using it the last two years, but switched to copolymer specifically p-line cxx and yozuri soft on spinning due to respooling that berkley 100% so often. It seems if I get one backlash and the line loop folds onto its self - that's it, it will break easy usually on a long cast with expensive lure. I am not sure the negatives outweigh the positives and I am only fun fishing anyway these days, and I have not notice any difference in my catch rate.

The double uni knot, really makes backing spools easy.
    Proud BBC SPONSOR - Hand Made in USA

5. Member
    I bought several jumbo spools of Berkley 100% from Brian at the Tackle Trap this spring. Their price was way better then BPS. When you look at the amount of line and price it works out real well. There is a lot of waste in small spools. When you come down to the end of the spool there is never enough to refill, but plenty enough to be a waste. I have not had any issues with break offs. Stay far away from Vanish.

XPS fluoro is a little cheaper, its all I use for fluoro now. I fish almost every weekend and I do not replace that much.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I like the XPS fluro. And as mentioned, you can buy in bulk and it saves money. I recently just changed to Sunline and love it. Not the real high dollar sunline but the lower end and I haven't had any problems with the 16lb test. I have friends that use the Seagar Red Label and they seem to like it. Good luck with your decision. Oh, and I agree with what everyone else has said about the Vanish. Stay away from it.

8. Banned
    I've started using Flurocarbon a lot this year. Late adopter is what I would be called in marketing! LMAO I haven't had any issue with Vanish at all. I think the P-Line Fluro seems to be really stiff. I use a loop knot on all my crankbaits, and the fluro is hard to tie in a loop, but the palomar is an easy knot with fluro.

I also am using backing on all my reels with fluro or spiderwire. I use braids on my carolina rig, used to use it on my jig, but switched to fluro as you can see it better, and someone talked me into trying the alabama rig, and that is 100 lb. test braid. Talk about a work out though. I threw it for about 45 mins this past Saturday, only one fish, and it flat dab wore me out. I think if I'm going to keep throwing the AR, I better get into much better shape!!! LMAO

I meant to mention, I saw the ads for Vicious fluro this A.M. and it seems they have two grades. The original, "proven" winner, and then the upgrade more supple line for pros and the serious anglers who really want to win their club or weekend tourneys. I guess the rest of us not using this stuff don't really care if we win or not!! LMAO

Hope some of this helps....

Danny
    Last edited by kybasser; 04-30-2012 at 05:34 PM.

9. Member
    I used Seagar Invisix exclusively until last year, respooling several times a year. I switched to Tatsu on one reel last year and used it the entire year. I know it costs twice as much up front, but is by far the most supple, manageable florocarbon on the market. After only having to spool a reel once over the course of a year it also wound up cheaper in the long run!!

10. Member
    Cheap line is never cheap. How many 5-20$ baits do you have to loose to prove it to you. Stick with what you have confidence in. Try the big spools, they make each spooling almost half the price.

Fish-On
    Aaron

11. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    I've tried about everyline there is over the years and I always return to good old Trileen XL. I still catch lots of fish, win a tourney every now and then and hardly ever break off a fish. I think the florcarbon is way over rated IMO. This is what I think of this. When a fish is looking at a bait sees all those hooks, snaps, wire and other hardware a almost invisable mono line is of little consequence. just me.
    Last edited by bassnman81; 05-14-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

12. Member
    x2 on the sunline

word is, Cabelas No-Vis FC is Seguars old Carbon Pro. That may be something I look into. I am in the same boat as you. I like XPS but tired of paying for it. looking at different copolys now too.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

14. Banned
    Bassman,

You are so right. I'm sure you've heard of the Bass Professor, Doug Hannon? He had a show on ESPN2 a few years back, and on the show he said that after examining a bass' brain cortex, and its eyes, it was concluded a bass could not see a line that was not either very, very fluorescent, like bright orange, or the width of a nickle width. I emailed him once to confirm this. He did answer my email and said that was exactly right. I had suggested that smaller pound line probably worked better due to two things, more action and that the lateral lines that are so sensitive on a bass probably "feels" the line disturbing the water way more than seeing it. He agreed.

I only switched to fluorocarbon for two reasons, I liked the lack of stretch, and the fact it would sink. I mean come on, we're told to use red hooks because the fish see them and think the lure is bleeding, but then we are told to use red fishing line because the color red disappears underwater the quickest of all colors. In the motor oil thread people were dissing on those of us who used the brands recommended by our motor manufacturer for falling for marketing schemes, well it seems perfectly clear to me that the biggest marketing scheme is the "Our line is invisible the most" scheme. I'll stick with the science guys and what they found.

That said, Doug did recommend a line, and was honest about the fact that the line company sponsored him!!! Sounded honest enough for me to believe.

Glad someone else brought it up!!

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    I've tried about everyline there is over the years and I always return to good old Trileen XL. I still catch lots of fish, win a tourney every now and then and hardly ever break off a fish. I think the florcarbon is way over rated IMO. The was I think is this. When a fish is looking at a bait sees all those hooks, snaps, wire and other hardware a almost invisable mono line is of little consequence. just me.

Sunline FC Sniper ++++++++++++
    Best out there
    Angler's Choice Martinsville VA

2015 Ranger Z518c

Seaguar Inviz-X. Awesome stuff. It will last a good while too, if you use a line conditioner and don't leave your rods
    out in the sun for days at a time.

17. Member
    I pretty much stick to Vicious for 12 lb and up, and use Seaguar for lighter lines. Something I have started to do when replacing the line over my backing is to use a Berkely line counter to know exactly how much I have put on. Then I write it on the spool label. I can look at the spool and not have to guess whether there is enough remaining to fill another reel. If there isn't enough, it gets reserved for C-rig leaders.

I know line visibility matters on clear water lakes. I have learned this lesson more then once.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I've tried a few of the "high end" flurocarbon lines and they are all as sensitive as mono in my opinion. I don't know why guys can't cast Vanish or tie a knot with it but it's the only one that actually translates the bottom and light bites better than mono. No need for line conditioners or anything else. Just spool it up and go. Try it and decide for yourself. It's up to each angler's personal preference.

You get what you pay for, i use P-line halo for heavier lines and Vicious for 10 lb or less.....

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast