Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A friend and I conducted our own "break tests" between Berkley Vanish and Berkley 100% using a digital scale. We did this because we had just started using Vanish and were very disappointed in it. We each had some 100% left over, so we decided to compare them. The verdict? Vanish sucks! It consistently broke before the "test limit" printed on the package. But we weren't completely happy with Berkley 100% either, so after reading a lot of reviews of various floro's, we purchased BPS's XPS Floro because it was competitive $$wise and had great reviews. We both love it. It even looks/feels thinner and doesn't twist as badly. All floro's twist. It's the nature of the beast, however, XPS seems to have much less of it. I don't see myself changing anytime soon.

Just my 2 cents.

2. Member
    I have used Berkley VANISH for several years with hardly any problems. The most important thing with using FLOROCARBON is the knot at the hook. I retie very often when I am fishing tournaments. FLOROCARBON is most definately more sensitive. I have heard several of the pros talk about FLOROCARBON and several of them say to not compare # to #, but compare line diameter. In other words 12lb test in brand X may be .012, 12lb test in brand Y may .014. That is what I tend to go by. I use nothing lighter than .014 for my lite jig fishing. I use .012 diameter for most all of my crankbaits small to large as DD22. Just for the record ANYTHING below .010 I have had very bad luck with IN ALL BRANDS that i have tried. Just don't fish with line that small much anymore, not a finesse guy.
    Last edited by Gman24; 05-01-2012 at 10:54 PM.

3. Member
    Silver thread makes a good flourocarbon, but it isn't as readily available here locally. I also like invisix for cranking and red label for everything else. I wouldn't touch vanish with a 100ft pole....it's horrible.
    2002 gambler 2100
    2008 250 proxs

4. Member
    I don't really understand everyones problem with the Berkley Vanish. I have been using it for a couple of years now with ZERO lost fish. Have y'all never heard of this thing called a drag setting? I fish Berkley Vanish on just about everything from tx-rigged worms and creature baits to cranks and spinners and have very little problem with it.

5. Member
    i have used vanish on my spinning rods since it came out basically and have lost very few fish because of the line. I only use it while finesse fishing and do lots of back reeling but i would do that with any line. maybe i just get lucky?

6. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    If you are using that much of the 100% 17lb, and you like it, then I would get a 1000-3000 yard spool of it. This will cut the cost considerably and it will also be more cost effective as you won't end up with an unusable amount of line left after 1-2 refills. I assume you are backing with old line and just respooling the last 70-100 yards with new line, that of course will cut the cost of respooling in half right there.
    this works great for me

7. Member
    Seaguar Red Label is good stuff at around $10. You can find Invisx for $15 or less if you shop around.

8. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar

9. Member
    I've never used flouro before - only mono in spinning reels and braid in casting reels. from the comments here, it sounds like it snaps easy - is that what I'm getting, or is it more complicated than that?

I've been thinking about using flouro on my walleye jig rod as an experiment, to see if the lack of stretch and lack of buoyancy help me feel those lighter taps a bit easier. Is that a bad idea? Will I bust line and lose fish?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cain Roberts View Post
    I've never used flouro before - only mono in spinning reels and braid in casting reels. from the comments here, it sounds like it snaps easy - is that what I'm getting, or is it more complicated than that?

I've been thinking about using flouro on my walleye jig rod as an experiment, to see if the lack of stretch and lack of buoyancy help me feel those lighter taps a bit easier. Is that a bad idea? Will I bust line and lose fish?
    Definitely give it a try. I only get to walleye fish about a week per year, but won't ever use mono again for my jig fishing. Either braid or flouro will help you get deeper using a lighter jig - the flouro because it sinks, or the braid because of the smaller diameter. I use 8 lb flouro most of the time, but when I need to get deeper, I switch spools to 8 lb braid. Even though it floats, the smaller diameter helps get down deeper. Where we go, anything deeper than 14 feet is unusually deep, and 21-22 is probably the max we have ever found walleye. I have no problem getting to 12 with a 1/8 oz jig, and a 1/4 oz handles anything deeper.

With either line, I tie on a two foot leader of 12 lb flouro. It seems to reduce the number of bite-offs from northerns, but doesn't stop them completely.

11. Banned
    I've switched to Fluero this year on several of my crankbaits and my jigs and TX rig. Last year I only tried it on one rod.

I have used Vanish, P-Line, and one other brand I don't remember. None of them break very easily. I have had to change knots though. I liked a loop knot on my crankbaits, but fluero is much stiff, especially the P-Line. I've switched mainly to .... brain freeze can't remember the name, but it is where you use a doubled line and make a simple overhand knot, then slip the bait through the big main loop.

Also, don't cut your tag line too close, thought knot slippage has really decreased. Also inspect the line often if you are fishing cover like wood or rocks. It does seem to get nicked up, or at least mine has. I do re-tie more often now as a result.

BUT, the improved feel through less stretch and the deeper crankbait depth makes it worthwhile for me personally. I still think often line choice is a personal decision.

I use 15 & 17 lb on my jigs and worms, and 10 lb on crankbaits. Oh one more thing, it seems the line has more memory than the mono I was using, especially the P-Line, but that could just be the result of it being a bigger diameter line. But still, it has more memory than Stren 17 lb mono, in my opinion at least.

Good luck, and tight lines,

Danny

Quote Originally Posted by Cain Roberts View Post

I have used vanish for 3 years or so. In lower # it sucks. I have no issues with 17 and 20# and I fish some nasty stuff, wood and rock. I also use red lable in 20# for flipping, it seems to come off the spool smoother. Most haters have never tried vanish, repeat what they read. It is hard for me to break off when I'm hung. I use a palomar knot! Viscious is ok but same diameter as mono in regular series.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bare2 View Post
    Viscious is ok but same diameter as mono in regular series.
    Well, if you are using the regular series, according to a commercial from Vicious, you just aren't serious about catching the fish!!!!

As you can tell, that commercial really bugged me... LMAO

Tight lines,

Danny

14. Member
    I have tried the vanish, pline flouro, and berkley 100%. I love plinexxx but the flouro was awful. Vanish was awful X2.
    I am a fan of the berkley 100%. I caught a 9.9 (2nd BF)on 8lb test line. I was lucky she went out instead of in. I like the sensitivity of it. At 8-10lbs line, most of your "breaks" will happen on impact so I use a softer tip when fishing it. It has cost me a fish or two with the light line, but that will happen when you use light line

15. AH HELL Coming in HOT.... Fishn_Fatboy's Avatar
    I tried sunline fore the first time two weekends ago and i love it well worth the money it think
    USMC Combat Vet 0331

"Their trolling and the hooks anit big enough" well shit "They're messing with the wrong school they ate their WHEATIES"

I know flouro is expensive. I only use Seguar InvisX and have had great success with it. I only use Flouro on my bottom presentation rods. For soft plastics and jigs I want the sensitivity it gives. I use mono backing on my rods so a spool will do 2-3 reels. The Seguar seems to be more resistant to abrasion and nicks and works for me. Going cheap on flouro will make your life miserable on the water.

For any of your reaction baits "feel" isn't nearly as important. In most cases - the shock absorbtion that mono gives is an advantage. I like P-Line CX Premium. It's a co-polymer and "hides" a little better, gives a little more sensitivity, but is super manageable. Their CXX is an overbuilt "fat" line that can be unruly above 10lb..

17. Member
    I bought a 1000yd roll of Seaguar Invisix 12lb a month or 2 back. It has been snapping on me everywhere from the middle of the line to the middle of the reel. It has snapped on every reel I have tried it on. I think I have a bad spool or something.

I'm scared to keep using it. I'll sale you the rest of it CHEAP

I have been using the YoZuri hybrid on a couple reels and I love that stuff.

the guy that owns the tackle shop here turned me on to the red label seguar flourocarbon. i think its about 50 bucks for a thousand yards. i have used it all year on kentucky and barkley and dale hollow and it is awesome. i was surprised at how it performed for the price. it is like their third best grade of flouro line i think.
    Ranger Forever

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by taterhead08 View Post
    ....It has been snapping on me everywhere from the middle of the line to the middle of the reel.....
    I'll bet you're getting a tiny bit of loose the line on the spool, wind in over it and forms a slight crimp. No Fluorocarbon likes to be crimped, my theory is ,over time the impact from casting or setting the hook breaks one of these crimps.

20. Member
    Vanish will make your lures VANISH

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast