What do you use for dock lines for those fold down cleats on the new Ranger boats?

I'm going nuts trying to feed a 3/8 in braided loop through those nice little fold down cleats on my new Z521. I looked in several local outlets and on West Marine website and they don't have anything smaller than 3/8 inch. I'd like something nice looking and matching my "basic black" color scheme. What do you use for dock line?

2. Member
    I use the dock rope that I got from the Rangers Owners group. I run the loop through the middle hole of the cleat then fold the loop back over the edges. Works fine on my 2011 Z520.

3. Member
    THANKS! I didn't realize that there was a "Ranger Owners Group." I just ordered dock lines from the rangerwear.com.

I'm still not sure what perks come from being a member of the group. When I went to the web site to register it asked for a hull number. It would not accept my number starting with RGR. When I called Ranger they confirmed that my RGR number was good and that I would become a member of Ranger Owners Group from the dealers registration of my boat.

4. Member
    is this a new boat?

1/4" rope..like a climbers rope for lack of what it's called, Northern Tool sells the stuff.

6. tool bag
    i use cheap bundgy cords at the steering wheel for short term tie ups. best thing I have ever used. quick and holds great to the dock. try it and see..
    Live life, its the only one you get!
    You don't scare me.

7. Member
    Ranger Dock Lines is what I use. I have two of them, one for the front and one for the back:

Vehicle/Boating

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    is this a new boat?
    Yep, bought it late February this year new.

9. Member
    I use 1/2" braided dock lines. For the bow, I just tied a big knot in one end of the rope and feed the rope thru the cleat. For the back, I tied a brass clip to the end of the rope and clip it on the stern eye. I've used the same ropes on my jet-ski, moved them to my first Ranger, and now use them on my 519. Work perfectly and they are nice strong lines. I'm not a fan of 1/4" rope for keeping a boat in place. JMO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happy2bfishin View Post
    i use cheap bundgy cords at the steering wheel for short term tie ups. best thing I have ever used. quick and holds great to the dock. try it and see..
    Thats what I use.

11. Member
    if leaving for any length of time might consider steel plastic coated cable. it can be looped at end and passed thru cleats and around tie area and locked up, hard to cut and thieves don't want to spend that much time trying to cut cable.

12. Member
    Wouldn't use steel cable because it doesn't give. Any stress from wave action is dispersed to the connection points, one of those is your expensive boat.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNZ520 View Post
    I use the dock rope that I got from the Rangers Owners group. I run the loop through the middle hole of the cleat then fold the loop back over the edges. Works fine on my 2011 Z520.
    Why I asked if you bought it new? As a new buyer your dealer should have given you access to the R.O.G. and you should have had credit dollars in which to buy stuff, like dock line.
    Rangers owners help me out here, have I got this right?

14. Calvin Roy Harrison
    I realize this is a super old post but... I can't seem to find anything on the R.O.G. (Ranger Owners Group) other than the Facebook Group. My new Ranger Boat Warranty has been registered so if I can find the web address, I should be able to log into the thing if it is still around...HELP!
    Calvin Roy Harrison Retired Border Patrol
    2021 RANGER Z185

It’s not around anymore like that. Ranger wear transitioned to a new company and they haven’t started offering a lot of accessories like dock line or spare tire covers, etc like the old ranger wear from back then carried.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

16. Calvin Roy Harrison
    Roger that. My dealer assured me he would take care of signing me up but I suspected he had no idea what I was talking about. The closest I came across for free stuff for new owners is the Operation Troop Salute Military Appreciation Program. If any other New Ranger owners want that, be aware that an affidavit has to be submitted within 30 days of the dealer registering your boat warranty. ALSO, the 2021 year form you download from RangerBoats to submit notes that the preferred submission method is via Email but the form lists a submission Email address containing a typographical error. The 2021 form has RangerTroopSalute@dealersrviceswrmg.com. I believe it should be RangerTroopSalute@dealerservices.com. Thanks again for the super fast response.
    2021 RANGER Z185

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    Roger that. My dealer assured me he would take care of signing me up but I suspected he had no idea what I was talking about. The closest I came across for free stuff for new owners is the Operation Troop Salute Military Appreciation Program. If any other New Ranger owners want that, be aware that an affidavit has to be submitted within 30 days of the dealer registering your boat warranty. ALSO, the 2021 year form you download from RangerBoats to submit notes that the preferred submission method is via Email but the form lists a submission Email address containing a typographical error. The 2021 form has RangerTroopSalute@dealersrviceswrmg.com. I believe it should be RangerTroopSalute@dealerservices.com. Thanks again for the super fast response.
    If your a member of TBF you get $300 credit for mostly apparel https://www.rangerboats.com/ranger-bonus-voucher.html

18. Calvin Roy Harrison
    Thanks. Not a member of TBF yet. I see where Ranger will give TBF members a $300 dollar certificate good for buying clothes. Thanks!
    2021 RANGER Z185

19. mikesxpress
    Flat parachute cord works very well for the small opening on the fold down cleats. On-line or Army/Navy surplus.

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.or...376035498.html