Ethanol potential problems and other manufacturers views?

Hi Don. I have many friend fishermen who own OMC,HPDI,ETEC, and Yamaha motors that do not seem to be overly concerned with the potential disastrous effects of Ethanol to their motors. Is this a case that you have raised the flag for our benefit or do they not consider Ethanol as being a major problem? Not one has even considered changing fuel lines,etc, and few,if any, add any additives as a preventive. Is Mercury only sounding the alarm or is my small sample of friends not informed and should know better? Time for me to start to try to educate them? The boats range from the late eighty's to as current as 2008. I am really confused.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Ethanol potential problems and other manufacturers views? (oldgeezer)

Ethanol is a non-discriminating destructive agent. MANY OEM's are banding together to protest it's introduction (and the proposed increases in Ethanol content into the future).

This INCLUDES many of the manufacturers you've mentioned.

ALL of them have issued various advisories and bulletins.

However, we obviously see a higher count of "problems" on the Mercury boards, simply due to the SHEER NUMBER of engines out there. Mercury obviously has held a "lions share" of the market.

They'll be thinking about it "sooner or later"- for sure!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor