Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Ran a minn kota maxxium on my dad's boat. Just bought a new boat for myself and it has a new motorguide. I hate it. Minn Kota all the Way. I still take my dad's 03 versus my new one because I like the trolling motor on his more. I am just waiting on my minn kota so I can start using mine.

I have both. I absolutely hate the motorguide. The motorguide does not go 360 degrees as easily as the minn kota and the motorguide continually gets weeds stuck in back of the motor and in front of the prop. The minn kota does not have this continual issue and I fish the minn kota in hydrilla and the motorguide up north. Very disappointed in the motorguide. In addition, I keep the motorguide very high in the water column to avoid as many weeds as possible. The problem with this is that the head of the motor is higher and sometimes interferes with my casting and on higher speeds the prop makes when the surface water is disturbed.

FLORIDA BOAT: 2010 Ranger 198VX, 200 Yamaha HPDI Series II, Atlas 10" hydraulic jack plate, Minn Kota Fortrex 80, Humminbird 1199C SI, Helix 10" SI , Helix 10"SI with 360, dual 8' power poles, livewell pumpout

WISCONSIN BOAT: 1992 Ranger 362V, Johnson Fast Strike 175, T & H Pro Hi Jacker jack plate, Motorguide Tour 70, Lowrance 522C, Eagle color unit,

LET US NOT LOSE SIGHT OF HOW FORTUNATE WE ARE TO ENJOY FISHING AND THE OUTDOORS! CATCHING JUST MAKES IT A BIT SWEETER!

Minnkota much better in weeds.

4. Member
    Minnkota but I agree with the statements about the switch on the wrong side. It just drives me nuts but quality and durability is unmatched. In the short time I've owned boats I've replaced 2 MGs.

5. Member
    MinnKota

I've owned motor guide all my life but used several boats with minn kotas and plan on my next tm being a minn kota. I find MK is much smoother putting down and picking up and they also run smoother and quieter.

Both have their goods and bads, one of the biggest deciding factors for me was how heavy the mk are vs the mg's. Ive had both and have had equal problems out of both so I use the weight factor when i decide which goes on the front of my boat. And I'm sure everyone here knows how sensitive boats are to bow weight when it comes to that extra couple mph's

I've had both, either will work. Just make mine hand controlled.
    Pat Leach

USAF Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

9. Member
    I've had good luck with MK...

both trolling motors tour series and fortrex are awesome if your using lowrance electronics and want minn kota i suggest fortrex with built in transducer the fortrex is effortless deployment the tour series from motorguide are good as well just have to learn to use light foot pressure to release to deploy...

A buddy has a motor guide, I bought Minn Kota. Minn Kota hands down!

fortrex with built in transducer...i have used it and it works as good as the lowrance skimmer and with it no cord to deal with running down shaft also effortless to use

13. Member
    I've had both, and the only difference to me is the Minn Kota is SO MUCH quieter than a Motor Guide. I've never seen a Motor Guide that was as quiet as any MinnKota

14. Member
    Have owned motorguide for many years. Bought a new skeeter that came with a minn kota fortrex. Dealer told me if I still wanted a motorguide after trying out the minn kota he would exchange it. Used it for 2 weeks and would never ever buy another motorguide again. The Minn kota with the lift assist is awesome. Just pull the rope and let it go slowly and quietly into the water. Could never do that with a motorguide, usually have to push down on the bracket to pull the rope cause it gets stuck then lean back becuse withl the weight of the motorguide you have to get some leverage to put it in the water quietly. The minn kota shaft is composite and it can take an impact from any angle and it will not get damaged. The motorguide steel shaft can take an impact head on and the gatormount saves it but take an impact hard enough or from the side and you gotta have a new shaft. The minn kota props are much thicker and almost indestructable. The motorguide prop is thin and gets carved and bent up easily. The only thing that took me a little while to get used to was the go button being on the opposite side compared to the motorguide. Took about a week. you owe it to yourself to try out a minn kota seriously.

15. Banned
    Motorguides suck in the weeds.

I have both. I like the fortrex best

17. Member
    I have had probably had 25 Motorguide trolling motors over the years, and have learned how to repair them if needed. I may try a Minnkota on my next Triton just for a change.

I like the minnkotas better, they go thru grass much better but I always end up putting motorguides on my boats because they are not as bulky.
    Les Mahan - STROKER 250 MERC

Kota fortrex

BBC SPONSOR::
    BEST PRICES ON BOCA BEARINGS, OIL AND SPOOL PIN PLIERS!
    DUO REALIS DEALER AND KUSTOM BAIT PAINTING..
    BBC SPECIAL PRICING!!!!
    http://threeltuningandcleaning.com/
    http://dobynsrods.com/
    http://biospawn.com
    lewisboat.com
    Omega Custom Tackle
    Lewis Pro Team
    2016 Phoenix 919 Pro XP

20. Member
    Minn Kota. M.G. Seem flimsy and if you fish any kind of grass, forget M.G.

When all else fails, go fishing.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast