Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member

How long does it take to carbon up like that?

Is this something that can be expected at 200 or 1500 hours? Just curious.

2. Member
    The pics are of a motor that's got around 600 or so hrs on it. It did not have alot of idle time though, I would guess the more idle time mixed with the junk gasoline that we are getting, it would not take as long.... But that's my opinion, Don might be better at answering that question.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: How long does it take to carbon up like that? (ssv1761982)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by ssv1761982 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Is this something that can be expected at 200 or 1500 hours? Just curious.</td></tr></table>

Several factors play a role in this (and it varies):

-Fuel Quality
    -Fuel ADDITIVES (running Quickleen and Quickcare help to prevent this)
    -OIL USED (appropriate oils also help to lessen carbon buildup)
    -Idle or Low RPM Runtime (especially while graphing with SI sonar, or long no-wake areas)

A good practice is to ensure you're running appropriate fuel additives, GOOD QUALITY FUEL, limit low RPM runtime to engine warmup, and finish off each lake outing with a 5+ minute run in the 4000-4800 RPM range (approximate range where your engine gets it's best fuel economy, thus running the CLEANEST).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member

Re: How long does it take to carbon up like that? (EuropeanAM)

Any ideas on what a mercury shop would charge to clean the carbon like above. I have a motor that is acting just like this. Also it seems to smoke a little more than normal in initial start up. Runs fine in the spring and fall, but a little sluggish in the summer. It was owned by an older gentleman who mostly used at idle. I don't have serial numbers as it is stored for the winter. It is a 2000 225efi mercury.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: How long does it take to carbon up like that? (kmerical)

Flat rate can be applied to removal and replacement.... but as you can imagine, there's usually a considerable amount of "cleanup" involved (gasket surfaces, drilling out tuner, cleaning, etc).

We normally charge 6.5 hours labor for this (average)... plus necessary parts.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member

Re: (EuropeanAM)

Shef, What you described is exactly and i mean exactly how my 2002 200efi is acting. Dog loading on trailer, holeshot not very good and im only getting 5500 rpm out of this motor but ppl with this same exact boat with same engine and prop are getting 5,900 or so. Took it to boat shop and there repairing it but they never said anything about an exhaust tuner they said my #6 cylinder had a bad fuel injector but the motor never had a miss at idle or high rpm??? Im wondering if this may be part of my problem also.

with my problems described above do you think that 1 nasty sticky injector could be the problem?? The bill is going to be over $1,000 to do the injector and thats already hurtin but Im wondering if i should ask them to check this out while its in there????? I hate to spend more money but don't want to have to take it back and them have it another freaking 3 weeks either.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (cobracrazed)

Robin:

First, I'd strongly recommend that you provide your engine's SERIAL NUMBER.

A faulty injector can mean a LOT of different things... electrically failing, lean, RICH, FLOODING, etc.

In most cases, injectors can be PROFESSIONALLY CLEANED (and a very few facilities even have the ability to CALIBRATE injectors).

http://www.europeanmarine.org/injectorservice.html

I'll be glad to comment further when you can provide the serial number.

8. Member

Re: (EuropeanAM)

Here ya go

0t467525 Mercury 200efi 2002 year.....

Yes any info would be appreciated. I can just see this being 1K bucks that doesnt fix this thing and then my boat having to be there another freakin month. They said they checked reed valves and they looked great, checked for strong spark and no issues there either.

Let me know bud thank you very much!

Let me ask you this. Prolly a dumb question but how would they know which cylinder is down on power? Run it on dyno and start pulling spark plug boots on each cylinder 1 at a time??

This boat was gonna need a lot more ass on wholeshot and getting onto the trailer. walking onto trailer and gas her up and she just boggs. Boat doesnt sound impressive running on muffs out of water like most motors ive heard run either. Just seems dull, no bad ass sound like others ive heard run out of water. Talked to others with my same boat engine and prop and there getting right at 70mph loaded. Im getting about 56mph. Boat dealership said that the motor didnt sound impressive out of water because it was a "smart engine"??

Not sure which cylinder is the #6 cylinder but if I was standing behind the boat, the bottom left cyliner was the only 1 that had a sparkplug that looked different. It was darker on the tip than the others. Is that the #6 cylinder?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (cobracrazed)

Robin:

That engine is:

Serial# 0T467525
    Model# 1200413ZD
    MERCURY 2.5L EFI 200EFI L

<u>Completely</u> different engine than is being discussed in this topic.

Not sure what methods they used.... but I'd suggest going back to the BASICS first:

-Compression Test (preferably including a LEAKDOWN TEST)
    -Spark Test
    -Fuel Quality, Pressure, and Pressure Leakdown Tests

If you don't find the problem within these simple, basic tests, open a new thread on your situation, and I'll be glad to assist.

Note: If you do open a new thread, be sure to discuss the Injector Harness with me.

10. Irving-NorCal Irving-NorCal's Avatar
    Don
    I understand by these post that you should be able to drop the lower unit and look up and inspect for blockage, can you also clean out the ports from below without disassemblying?
    Irving-NorCal
    2000 Cobra Viper 201 DC
    2024 Mercury 250L Pro XS SN# 3B431534
    Fury 3 Blade 24P

Quote Originally Posted by Irving-NorCal View Post
    Don
    I understand by these post that you should be able to drop the lower unit and look up and inspect for blockage, can you also clean out the ports from below without disassemblying?
    Read post #9 above. You can see only 6 or 7 of the ports from the bottom side. If they look like they are getting plugged then pull the powerhead, remove the tuner and clean them all. Its really not that bad if you have wrenched on motors any and you say it fast. When I did mine a couple of years back I rented an engine hoist to lift the block. Set it up one afternoon and returned it the next. Hardest part is scraping all the gasket surfaces on the bottom of the engine block.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

12. Member
    Don,

If a person were to find their tuner to be as dirty as the one above, is there any harm in taking it to an automotive machine shop and having it cleaned as one would do to a cast iron block prior to rebuilding?
    Rusty
    MSG (R)
    Louisiana National Guard
    Desert Storm, OIF Veteran
    08 21XDC/300XS

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rusty:

BE CAREFUL HERE... Your tuner is not made of cast-iron!

However... you COULD drill out the openings, and then have the tuner cleaned in the same fashion that would be used for an ALUMINUM block or head casting.

Drilled mine till the holes cleaned up then pressure washed. Good as new!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

15. Member
    this one was mine before and after the treatment
    IMG_1034.JPGIMG_1037.JPGIMG_1038.JPG

thanks
    F.

16. Banned
    Other than a drill... What material do you use to clean the carbon out?

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCat View Post
    Other than a drill... What material do you use to clean the carbon out?
    Drill and hot steam (pressure washer).

IMHO... once you've drilled the passages open, clean what you can (reasonably).

Tuner will be black by the end of the next outing (roughly as futile as washing the inside of the tailpipe on your auto).

18. Banned
    I am going to look into the hydro tech tuner

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It makes some noise.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    It makes some noise.
    Thats perfect for me. Don I'll be sending you my injectors and fuel rail very soon as well.

The popit diverter a simple install?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast