Mike Lamb

Question aerator Ranger 170vs / Please help

Guys and Gals,

I fish tourn sat and for some reason my aerator on the auto setting would not work. Manual worked but dumb me left it on way too long and it drew down my battery to the point I almost didnt get my motor started.

question

Does the aerator auto/manual use the same pump? Or is there one for auto and one for Manual?
    What should I check? (switch/timer and how to go about this?)

if you can help I would appreciate it. I have two big tourns coming up and want to get this back to working form.

Mike Lamb
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

2. Mike Lamb
    ???
    Michael Lamb
    Raleigh, NC

3. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Mike, the Auto/Manual use the same pump(s) Sir. I would check fuse to the switch first then the switch itself. May be something as simple as a wire loose on the back of the switch.

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

4. Mike Lamb
    Thanks. Would it still be a fuse if the manual switch works? I will tear into it tomorrow.
    Michael Lamb
    Raleigh, NC

5. Mike Lamb
    ok, I have checked the fuse and there are two pumps. sometimes the auto pump works now. but when I mess or turn the timer it turns off. Not sure what is going on. Does anyone have a way to isolate this issue?
    Michael Lamb
    Raleigh, NC

In all the Rangers I have had there are two pumps. One for each side of the livewell. The switch works both pumps simultaneously. There is NOT one pump for auto and one for manual. They are both operated by the same switch and same fuse. The "Auto" and "manual" functions are two switches wired in parallel inside the one rocker switch (SPDT--single pole, double throw). If one switch is on the other is off and vice a versa.

If the pumps don't run in auto but they do in manual then there is either something wrong with that side of the switch (replace the rocker switch) or the circuit board has gone bad. The timer circuit board is located behind the dash under the timer knob. Or the wire connections to the circuit board have come loose (unlikely).

If both pumps don't run when "manual" is selected then the pump is bad, or has gotten crawfish parts in it or a plastic worm. ( I just found a Senko sticking out of my air injection port in the livewell, no idea how it could have gotten in there). It is possible that if one pump has gone bad it could make the timer circuit board not function since the load is not right on the circuit board but I am not sure if that matters or not.

Hope this explanation is clear enough and helps you out.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

7. Mike Lamb
    yes, and thank you very much. this is what I have done and still working on it.

I pulled both fuses (port and starboard) for the aerators. They are good. Turned on the switch to manual and see no issue (runs)

When I turn it to Auto, I get no light on the switch and pumps are not working. I switched it back and forth and couple times it came on. If I changed the timer setting it went off. I am just guessing I have the timer has gone bad and or switch. Does anyone know how much it is to get replacement parts?
    Michael Lamb
    Raleigh, NC

8. Mike Lamb
    still have issue. Went out sat and it worked. When the timer finished its cycle. never turned back on. I am guessing it is the timer. But not going to take chance. Will just replace both I guess.
    Michael Lamb
    Raleigh, NC