Banned

Analog Trim Gauge Sender Adjustment Question

The picture below was taken on the port side of my 150 ProXS. Is the round thing with the numbers and yellow dot the analog trim sender? It seems to be attached by two screws, one on the right and one on the left. If this is the sender, I've heard that it can be adjusted so that I get a greater range on my gauge when the trim goes up or down. Right now, when I'm trimmed up all the way it only shows on the gauge less than 1/4. I have whatever the standard gauges that were installed on a 2011 Ranger.

If I'm on the right track, how is it adjusted? Is this something I can do myself?

Thanks,
    Jake

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Jake:

That is indeed the trim sender, and you're correct that it can be adjusted via loosening the screws and rotating the sensor.

Doing so only alters the sensor's reading (it doesn't change the "range"). Ultimately, you would like the gauge to read EXACTLY on the full down line with the engine all the way down.

This will most commonly result in a reading of 1/4-1/3 when the engine is fully trimmed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Banned
    Thanks Don!

Jake

4. Member
    YOU WILL BE AT 1/4 when at full trim...most think the gauge should read at 1/2. Not true.it will read at the bottom line when full down.and read at about a 1/4 when full up trim.The sender is very sensitive .I crank down the trailer tongue all the way.The set trim when it reads right on the bottom line.Good Luck