Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Post Hotfoot Setup & Adjustment

Many have asked about how to adjust the throttle-cable and/or hotfoot:

1. Disconnect throttle cable from Anchor point at engine.

2. Confirm that engine can reach WOT by MANUALLY operating the throttle arm on side of engine. Shutters should be .001"-.020" (1/16" if working with the roller/cam) from their mechanical stop (so as not to "hammer" the throttle plates and cause premature wear).

3. Adjust throttle cable so that it holds ENGINE throttle arm FIMRLY against the IDLE STOP (usually the BOTTOM screw on the black throttle arm, port side of engine). DO NOT alter ANY SCREW SETTINGS on this throttle arm!

4. Connect cable with attachment nut, snugging the nut down. BACK NUT OFF 3/4 turn (the black plastic washer should spin freely under the nut).

5. On the hotfoot, loosen jam nut for the WOT stop screw, and turn the screw WELL AWAY from the pedal.

6. Depress hotfoot to WOT position- have someone check to ensure WOT was reached at engine. HOLD HOTFOOT HERE.

7. Turn stop screw COUNTECLOCKWISE until it just contacts the pedal (pedal still at WOT position). Release pedal.

8. Turn stop screw 1/2 to ONE TURN FURTHER counterclockwise- hold it in place, and tighten the jam nut (this step helps to prevent throttle cable stretching).

9. Depress hotfoot firmly to WOT position. Verify engine reaching wide open throttle.

*This thread has been placed in the "Commonly Asked- Commonly Used" Sticky Post (at the top of this forum). :thumbup:

** Thanks to potamicbassin for providing some of the images.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-21-2021 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Old Thread would not update.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Good info for sure!!! Thanks Don

3. Member
    After using a micrometer and a feeler gauge I'm just a bit out so I adjusted as you posted! Thank you!
    Gary \"Big Red\" Freeman, USAF Retired

2001 TR-21DC, Mercury 2004 Mecury 250XS
    Bassanglersfederation.com
    That others may live foundation
    Natures Sunshine Products
    Chaney Distributing
    Carbon X Rods
    Fringetackle.net

I have always added a spring on the motor from the throttle cable to the block...

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I have always added a spring on the motor from the throttle cable to the block...
    This should not be required on Optimax or EFI models.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This should not be required on Optimax or EFI models.

May not be required ... But it will help to make sure the throttle returns to the idle position..
    More like a back up safety than a required part if something else fails..
    I have had the bolt that attaches the throttle cable to my hotfoot back out....
    If not for the extra spring I would have been up POOP creek..

Mine will not reach WOT on the stop at the engine as stated in step 2 in the OP. Should I adjust the stop screw that is behind the VST?
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X