BBC SPONSOR

TM vs Verado case

I thought there was a post made that listed the differences between the two cases. I would like to know specifics not just which case is good for what mph.

250xs application if it matters.

Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: TM vs Verado case (Hydrilla)

Verado gearcase is slightly longer/larger. It can be easily identified by:
    -Leading edge of case (if you run your hand top to bottom) has a 1/4" Jut-out
    -No torque-tab present on the starboard side of the skeg
    -Gear Lube Vent screw on STB side of case
    -Utilizes a Standard Flo-Thru Torque Hub
    -Suitable for most hulls "up to 80 MPH top speed"

Torquemaster Gearcase:
    -Utilizes HD 1-1/4" Diameter propshaft (requires Racing prop hub)
    -Torque tab cast into Starboard side of skeg (hence the name "Torquemaster")
    -Suitable for hulls requiring partially elevated mounting heights, up to 85 MPH

BOTH gearcases are equipped with low water AND side water intakes.

BOTH have the gear lube drain screw located behind the propeller, at the bottom of the bearing carrier.

Your 250XS (Racing) would likely have come with EITHER the Torquemaster, or a Sportmaster Gearcase.

Another gearcase is in production as of January, 2013.... the "Gen-2 Torquemaster" or "Wingmaster". It can be identified easily by the "wing" located forward, and slightly above the side water inlets.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 01-29-2013 at 04:05 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. BBC SPONSOR

Re: TM vs Verado case (EuropeanAM)

Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Is there a high potential for blow out above 80mph with the Servicemaster?

If I plan on running above 80, is the Torquemaster a better/safer choice?
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member
    2. Yes.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've seen the Verado Case up to 85 MPH... but IMHO it's best to move to the G-2 TM on hulls capable of CONSISTENT speeds in excess of 80 MPH.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Verado case doesnt lift as well the TM also it wants to crab since it doesnt have the torque tab. Without question i would get the TM
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I've got several customers running the Verado Case on 21' Bullets. Right at 80 MPH, and they're not having any handling problems.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Torquemaster Gearcase:
    -Utilizes HD 1-1/4" Diameter propshaft (requires Racing prop hub)
    -Torque tab cast into Starboard side of skeg (hence the name "Torquemaster")
    -Suitable for hulls requiring partially elevated mounting heights, up to 85 MPH

BOTH gearcases are equipped with low water AND side water intakes.

BOTH have the gear lube drain screw located behind the propeller, at the bottom of the bearing carrier.

Your 250XS (Racing) would likely have come with EITHER the Torquemaster, or a Sportmaster Gearcase.

Another gearcase is in production as of January, 2013.... the "Gen-2 Torquemaster" or "Wingmaster". It can be identified easily by the "wing" located forward, and slightly above the side water inlets.
    Should the vent plug on the Torquemaster gen 1 be on the starboard side as well? Just asking because mine is what should be a TM gen 1 and the vent is on the starboard side. It is an insurance replacement (late last fall). I usually change my own gear lube, and from what I remember on the one that got replaced (which also should have been a TM gen 1), the vent plug was on the port side. Am I missing something? Thanks. S/N: 0T999280
    Last edited by eliteangler; 08-20-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: serial number
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X