Question about monthly photo themes

Someone suggested to me a couple months ago, that they thought it would better if we could get a single judge, that actually knew photography, to judge our monthly contests. I thought about it for awhile and I agree. I think I have found someone but wanted to think what everyone else thought about it before I made the necessary changes.

This person would look over all the entries and choose the best based on their opinion of the photo and possibly let us know why they picked that particular photo. They would also make suggestions/comments to the rest of the field on how to improve on your shot for future contests.

What does everyone think???

Re: Question about monthly photo themes (RoadrashPaul)

bad ideal.look at all the pro forums and you will see the people vote for it not just one person thats a buddy of someone.

3. Member

I think it should be left like it is. It's not neccesarily the perfect picture that wins. It's the one thats most appealing to the masses. That may be a photo thats not technically perfect to the eye of an expert. JMHO.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

Re: Question about monthly photo themes (smalljawguy)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by smalljawguy &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I think it should be left like it is. It's not neccesarily the perfect picture that wins. It's the one thats most appealing to the masses. That may be a photo thats not technically perfect to the eye of an expert. JMHO. </td></tr></table>

So you like the fact that any Paul, Jim, or Richard can win this monthly prestigious award?

I'm fine with whatever the majority says. I think we have taken the contest in the general direction Paul had envisioned so speak up and make it even better folks.

5. Member

Re: Question about monthly photo themes (tshooter)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by tshooter &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

So you like the fact that any Paul, Jim, or Richard can win this monthly prestigious award?

I'm fine with whatever the majority says. I think we have taken the contest in the general direction Paul had envisioned so speak up and make it even better folks.

</td></tr></table>

I honestly don't care who wins. I'm just lucky to be able to get on here and see their amazing photos. I vote for the one I like and they haven't won it yet. Maybe I'm bad luck.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

6. Banned

Re: Question about monthly photo themes (smalljawguy)

I really don't know chit about photography, but I know what I like when I see it. I've seen art contests judged by "experts" and crap wins. I've seen other stuff judged by "experts" and crap wins. This is the BBC, we're family, and family should vote on family stuff. It would mean more to me if I was chosen the best by the members than by a faceless expert who is all over the f stop and depth of field stuff. JMHO.

7. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar

Horrible idea. Let the people decide.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

Re: Question about monthly photo themes (aussiebasser)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by aussiebasser &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I really don't know chit about photography, but I know what I like when I see it. I've seen art contests judged by "experts" and crap wins. I've seen other stuff judged by "experts" and crap wins. This is the BBC, we're family, and family should vote on family stuff. It would mean more to me if I was chosen the best by the members than by a faceless expert who is all over the f stop and depth of field stuff. JMHO.</td></tr></table>

I agree with Dale. I am no expert on it either but I do enjoy looking at them. And getting to vote on the one I like best. Like Dale says we are BBC family. Who knows maybe one day I might be able to enter one of the contest.

I'd rather be fishing cause girls fish too.

9. Member
    "Expert" judges, in my experience, ruin it for all. No growth seems to come from their critique, either...simply regurgitated theory and such, which kinda puts a damper on freedom of style.

Let the masses decide.
    "The most dangerous risk of all -the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later." -random Facebook pic that came up on my wall

8'6" Longboard
    6'6" Shortboard

10. Richard Jennings timberland's Avatar

Re: Question about monthly photo themes (sgt93)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by sgt93 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Horrible idea. Let the people decide.</td></tr></table>

Agree 100%. with this ^^^ If someone wants to enter and be "pro" judged, enter a few captures on an open forum like "Photography On The Net" ...those guys eat, sleep and breath photography. Some think our "lounge" is tough, ....notta chance. That crew at POTN are just plain mean to rookies like me, . I do this for fun...just like all my hobbies. Next thing to eliminate is the "prize" ...lets keep this for fun and bragging rights.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

11. Moderator

Re: Question about monthly photo themes (timberland)

Alright guys..... you have spoken and I will listen. No single judge.

I was just feeling that whenever I can get someone who knows more than me involved and I have a chance to learn from them, it helps me to improve on whatever it is I am doing. I thought this would be a good learning tool for everyone as this person could critique and comment.

No biggie. We will leave it like it is but we are keeping the prize

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by RoadrashPaul &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">We will leave it like it is but we are keeping the prize </td></tr></table>

Yeah, that was just silly talk from Timberland last night. He must have been hitting the bottle at 12:58 a.m.

13. Richard Jennings timberland's Avatar

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by tshooter &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Yeah, that was just silly talk from Timberland last night. He must have been hitting the bottle at 12:58 a.m. </td></tr></table>

No silly from me, I don't drink. Actually my post show up from my Michigan time...beings that we are in Kona, Hawaii, it was only 8 pm when I posted.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Re: Question about monthly photo themes (timberland)

Did you really need to rub it in again?

15. Moderator

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by tshooter &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Did you really need to rub it in again? </td></tr></table>

It was uncalled for wasn't it