New Monthly Photo Theme Rules

*DO NOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF. This is about encouraging each other, sharing your art and not to be taken seriously. Voting polls will be public.

1) Picture has to be true to the monthly theme.
    2) You have to take the pic yourself.
    3) Only NEW pictures taken between the time constraint given (ex: Nov1st through Nov 25th at Midnight). Exif data must be available in the picture for verification of date shot if there is a stipulation. NO archived photos (unless otherwise specified)
    4) Pictures submitted need to be 1024x768
    5) No heavy photoshopping. Cropping and color adjustment (brightness, contrast, B&W etc.) are fine but no HDR's or complex manipulations.
    6) OPTIONAL Please list the settings you used to capture your shot, such as apeture, shutter speed, ISO, if you were using a tripod, remote etc. etc. If you don't know them or were on full auto, no problem.
    Last edited by Revoke36; 07-01-2015 at 03:39 PM.

2. Banned

Re: New Monthly Photo Theme Rules (RoadrashPaul)

I like the changes Paul.

Only exception would be the size. 640X480 is VERY compressed and you'll lose a lot of detail.

IMHO 1024X768 would be much better. The staff at Photobucket agrees as well, here's an excrept from PB regarding what size to upload at.....

Photobucket recommends a size of 1024 by 768 pixels. The quality is good at this size, yet it is small enough to be displayed quickly when you link it to a blog or another website--unlike those photos that display bit by bit, because they are too big to display well on the internet. This size also creates a file size which is small enough to be shared via email without slowing the recipient's email download.

Good job Paul. I do agree with Sneezy on the size though.

Now, what is our theme for November? You're the MOD, get to MOD'ing.

4. Moderator

Re: New Monthly Photo Theme Rules (Sneezy Beltran)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Sneezy Beltran &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I like the changes Paul.

Only exception would be the size. 640X480 is VERY compressed and you'll lose a lot of detail.

IMHO 1024X768 would be much better. The staff at Photobucket agrees as well, here's an excrept from PB regarding what size to upload at.....

Photobucket recommends a size of 1024 by 768 pixels. The quality is good at this size, yet it is small enough to be displayed quickly when you link it to a blog or another website--unlike those photos that display bit by bit, because they are too big to display well on the internet. This size also creates a file size which is small enough to be shared via email without slowing the recipient's email download.</td></tr></table>

Thanks for info, I will definately change it to that. As I stated, I just done a quick search of the most common size and that was it but I think 1024x768 will be better.

What do you guys think about adding settings and such?

5. Banned

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by RoadrashPaul &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Thanks for info, I will definately change it to that. As I stated, I just done a quick search of the most common size and that was it but I think 1024x768 will be better.

What do you guys think about adding settings and such?</td></tr></table>

I like the idea.

It will help others understand how a certain "look" was achieved, as well as understand how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO relate to each other.

6. Moderator

Re: New Monthly Photo Theme Rules (Sneezy Beltran)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Sneezy Beltran &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

I like the idea.

It will help others understand how a certain "look" was achieved, as well as understand how aperture, shutter speed, and ISO relate to each other.</td></tr></table>

I do as well. To me it will show someone exactly what settings to put their camera on (in a given situation) and recreate a shot for themselves. I am going to add it to the rules not as a requirement but as an option that would help everyone.

7. Member

Paul, that info will also be buried in the exif data, I do like the idea of sharing that info because sometimes it explains why something came out the way it is.

If someone happens to shoot on full auto or any of the various creative scene modes, no big deal just say so.

I would also add that the no archive thing is unless otherwise specified because there may be themes where a previously taken picture is acceptable.

8. Moderator

Re: New Monthly Photo Theme Rules (jb882)

Great suggestions Jim. I will make the changes. Thanks again everyone who has helped with this

Excellent Now buying a 7D. With a 7D I can screw up faster , As for "auto" shots, you can still look at the properties and see what the auto setting captured the image on. I flip from auto to AV etc to help me adjust what settings I should be at in a manual mode.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

10. Member

Re: New Monthly Photo Theme Rules (timberland)

Timberland, you are going to LOVE the 7D, congrats !

I have had a 7D since shortly after it came out and it is a superb camera. If you do any type of action stuff you will really appreciate the auto focus system. If you have any questions on it please don't hesitate to ask.

11. Moderator

Re: New Monthly Photo Theme Rules (jb882)

Very jealous guys, very jealous. Congrats Richard I think I may try to swing a new body and maybe some glass next year.

12. Member
    I like the rules. especially posting camera settings and not allowing archive photos. I believe this will make it better for everyone.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by RoadrashPaul &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

I realize this may eliminate some of you from the contest. But it was brought to my attention that just like fishing in a tournament, you wouldn't show up with a snoopy pole and a rubber raft (thanks Jim ), if you want to keep up in this contest and possibly win you will need to get better gear or learn to use what you have to its full potential.</td></tr></table>

hmmmmmmmmm.....

14. Moderator

Re: New Monthly Photo Theme Rules (delee36)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by delee36 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

hmmmmmmmmm.....

</td></tr></table>

huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

15. Lost and confused MississippiBoy's Avatar

huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......</td></tr></table>

Shut up, Beavis.