Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    Guys, if you are having the rattle problem there are way cheaper ways of fixing it. You are going to have the lower cowl off to install the Merc part anyway , just get some thick foam weather strip from Lowes and cover the spots that show wear. Why pay $70 for a piece of foam? It ain't no big deal to fix, believe me.
    +1.... I've seen at least five different "variations" that worked quite well. One of the most effective I've seen was a customer who cut a 3/4" long piece of 5/8" heater hose, and installed it over the forward end powerhead retaining nuts. The hose was thick enough to buffer the lower cowling in this area... VERY inexpensive, and very effective.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member

3. Member
    How do you get the lower pan off? A picture or two would be great. I have the annoying rattle and would like to fix it. Thanks

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Four bolts involved in separating the lower cowlings.

-Pull cowling seal up from PORT side lower cowling (starting at the front, working to the center/back).

-Disconnect cowling mounted trim switch from inside the Starboard (right) cowling.

-Unbolt the clamp that retains the rigging tube flange on Port (left) cowling.

-Remove the two rear bolts (inside cowling at rear- one up high, one down low- which is accessed through a rubber plug).

-Remove one bolt underneath cowling, near the front (just above swivel shaft).

-Remove one remaining bolt inside cowling at front.

-Carefully separate cowlings.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I'm confused, why should I have to pay any money on a motor that I just purchased because it rattles. If this was a new vehicle, I would bring it back to the dealer and they would fix the rattle for free. Why isn't this happening with Mercury?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Cabela10... this post was put up as a REFERENCE for folks to use. Not all owners on these boards have a new engine... and of course, if your engine is under warranty, I would recommend consulting with your Local (Authorized) Mercury Dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1.... I've seen at least five different "variations" that worked quite well. One of the most effective I've seen was a customer who cut a 3/4" long piece of 5/8" heater hose, and installed it over the forward end powerhead retaining nuts. The hose was thick enough to buffer the lower cowling in this area... VERY inexpensive, and very effective.
    Lower Cowling fix.jpg

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

8. Member
    Sounds good. My confusion has subsided.

9. Member
    so Don this does not really affect my 2000 200hp opti? is it a 2.5l by the way

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bercy38 View Post
    so Don this does not really affect my 2000 200hp opti? is it a 2.5l by the way
    With a few (rare) RACING engine exceptions... the 200hp Optimax is a 3L.

Got a serial number?

Don, Would an 250xb be included in this discussion?

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by music man View Post
    Don, Would an 250xb be included in this discussion?
    Yes sir... it's a 3L Model.

13. Banned
    Thread necro. I know! I have a 2014 150 XS that rattles at idle. I don't hear a rattle at any RPM higher than idle. I'll try to take a vid of it this weekend. Just wondering if you've heard of a rattle on these motors at idle.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's a 2.5L Model- completely different engine than is being discussed in this thread. Suggest opening a separate thread for your engine, and include the video (you may actually simply be hearing the sound of the Air Compressor).

15. Member
    Any one have pictures of the Lower Foam pan kit and the Top Cowl sound blanket for the 300 XS?
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    http://www.bbcboards.net/gambler-boa...check-out.html

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-l...ease-read.html

(There are more... try the "Search" Feature for "300XS Insulation").

17. Member

18. Member
    Here's a good picture of the inside of a new 300 XS cowl

Fellas... just curious if this rattle is intermittent or does this always happen at those RPM ranges? I have I guess what I would call a rattle/ringing noise at certain RPM ranges and motor tilt positiion combined... however it doesn't always rattle/ring while in that RPM range and tilt position. Mine is intermittent. And I will add that I haven't had the lower cowls off to investigate further. I will do that as soon as she comes home from the fiberglass shop.
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X