Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

just wanted some opinions

me and mike run some friday night tx on the river and greers and so forth. we've been pondering raising the penalty for dead fish. we believe we are seeing too many. anyway, i just wanted to throw this out there and see what you guys do or what you think would be a good move. i understand that we can't save them all, but when you bring 5 to the scales and 3 or 4 are dead or all your big ones are dead i just can't hardly stand it. any opinions are welcome. suggestions on how to take better care of the fish as well. i'll pass it on to the guys. thanks, jason.

2. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar

Re: just wanted some opinions (weekend warrior)

Do yall currently have a penalty?
    If you're seeing a lot of dead fish, I would consider it. But even with night and evening tx's, this is still the toughest time of year on the fish.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

3. Real Deal Tungsten

Re: just wanted some opinions (cmclairday2)

what are you tournament hours?

4. Member

Re: just wanted some opinions (Skeeterman1)

tx hours are 6pm to 9pm on the river and 7pm to 11pm on greers and yes we have a half pound penalty in place for dead fish.

5. Arkansas Fishing Moderator cmclairday2's Avatar

You could always raise it, but then people will be tempted to break the law and just throw back dead fish.
    I would really encourage the use of Release Me, or Rejuvenade, and provide some info on fish care at the tx's. Information on the proper use of ice, chemicals, and livewell pumps could go a long ways on this.
    '02 Gambler Outlaw
    '02 Mercury 200 EFI 2.5L

6. Member

This is a tough time of the year on fish with the heat. I agree you hate to see any die. The biggest thing to encourage is ice and catch and release/please release me. The .20 penalty is sufficient. you could increase the penalty with increased number of fish. 1 fish =.20, two fish = .50. 1/2 pound per fish is a huge penalty and may encourage throwing dead fish back especially if it is raised even more.

7. Member

Re: just wanted some opinions (puma20)

the half pound penalty i would think would be sufficient, but it still seems like that we are seeing too many. there may not be anything i can do. it's just been on our minds lately. we try to stress the ice and rejuvenade but i can't make them buy it. it is ultimately their responsibility. i just really hate seeing the dead fish. not saying i've never had one die because i have. i understand if you hook one deep or something he may not live.

8. Member

Give them ice at take off. Take it out of pot.

Other option is to check livewell function before takeoff.

Between no ice and guys with non functioning livewells you'll find the issue.

9. Member

DROP THE LIMIT TO THREE FISH
    2011 Phoenix 719 Pro XP
    2011 Yamaha 225 SHO

10. Member

Re: just wanted some opinions (bassncoop)

If you are fishing the tournament, you aren't fishing to lose. I see 5 bucks for ice as a very cheap investment. 1 bag for each livewell and 1 for the cooler.

In the 4 years that I have been fishing tournaments, we haven't killed a fish yet (knock knock). Once the water temps are over 82-85 degrees, I start icing my livewells. I used to not agree with it but I do now. Heard a tournament director say one time, "you might have caught that bass in 90 degree water but that doesn't mean it won't swim down into 70 degree water...in your livewell, it can't do that if it ain't cooled."

Re: just wanted some opinions (wildkat7)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by wildkat7 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">If you are fishing the tournament, you aren't fishing to lose. I see 5 bucks for ice as a very cheap investment. 1 bag for each livewell and 1 for the cooler.
    </td></tr></table>

Where would you keep these 3 bags of ice? Obviously the bag for your cooler would be in your cooler, but the other 2 for the livewells?
    20XD/250XS

12. Banned

Re: just wanted some opinions (timmaahh12)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by timmaahh12 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Where would you keep these 3 bags of ice? Obviously the bag for your cooler would be in your cooler, but the other 2 for the livewells?</td></tr></table>

Some Boats have two coolers.

13. Member

Re: just wanted some opinions (bigpoppy)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by bigpoppy &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Some Boats have two coolers.</td></tr></table>

And most others have insulated livewells. My live well keeps ice just as well as my cooler does.

Gayle

I am too good for nothing

Re: just wanted some opinions (turkdaddy)

Night tournaments occur during the summer cause it's TOO DARN HOT to fish during the day.
    You're starting the tournament when the water is the hottest it will get all day long and ending the tournament before it gets it's coolest.

More dead fish during night tournaments than any other time.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

15. Banned

Re: just wanted some opinions (turkdaddy)

Well said!

16. Member

Re: just wanted some opinions (timmaahh12)

The best rule I've seen is our clubs. Your allowed to weigh up to 5 dead fish a year. At the fifth dead one you then are penalyzed .5 pds per dead fish. It is the summer and they sometimes just die. This makes you mak an effort to perserve them.

Re: just wanted some opinions (pacafan)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by pacafan &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">The best rule I've seen is our clubs. Your allowed to weigh up to 5 dead rocks a year. At the fifth dead one you then are penalyzed .5 pds per dead rock. It is the summer and rocks sometimes just die. This makes you make an effort to perserve them.</td></tr></table>

I just corrected some of the spelling for ya Caleb. If words are still spelled wrong it's cause I ain't got all day.

18. Banned

Re: just wanted some opinions (SkeeterDD22)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by SkeeterDD22 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

I just corrected some of the spelling for ya Caleb. If words are still spelled wrong it's cause I ain't got all day.</td></tr></table>

LMAO!!!!!!

19. Member

Re: just wanted some opinions (SkeeterDD22)

Dont hate the weight hate the rock

Re: just wanted some opinions (pacafan)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by pacafan &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">LMOA!!!</td></tr></table>

Caleb, Caleb, Caleb..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast