Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line!

Effective October, 2010, Mercury has "officially" announced a change in it's oil recommendation for the entire line of ProXS Engines.

Due to a better additive package (that helps to decrease carbon buildup), OPTIMAX/DFI oil is now recommended for ALL ProXS Engines.

Premium Plus still meets the requirement... and is still safe to use, but Optimax/DFI oil is now considered the "first choice" oil. IMHO... the Optimax oil would be of benefit to those that run for extended times at lower RPM's (such as long no-wake zones, extensive side imaging, etc.). Another reason that has contributed to carbon buildup is the introduction of Ethanol into fuel supplies, and this change may help to combat this buildup, ESPECIALLY when combined with regular use of Quickleen.

The following is from the official announcement (courtesy: Mercury Marine):

"Effective October 2010, Mercury OptiMax / DFI or Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle engine oil is the recommended oil for all OptiMax models - including Pro XS. (The previous recommendation stated the use of Mercury Premium Plus 2-Cycle Outboard Oil in ProXS models and OptiMax oil in non-ProXS models.)

OptiMax / DFI oil is a superior oil when compared to the Premium Plus oil. While both products are high quality 2-cycle engine oils suitable for use in OptiMax engines, the OptiMax / DFI oil contains a higher percentage of additives that reduce carbon deposit formation.

Over time, under normal operating conditions, carbon deposits accumulate in the power cylinder (piston, cylinder head, liners). In most cases the carbon deposits do not create a problem, but carbon deposits that form on the piston - particularly behind the piston rings and piston skirts - can reduce engine life and performance.

OptiMax / DFI oil is specially formulated to prevent the carbon deposits from forming. It also does a better job of reducing existing carbon deposits than the Premium Plus oil. Going forward, the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty manuals for OptiMax outboards will recommend Mercury OptiMax / DFI or Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle engine oil to help maximize engine life and performance."

The "Commonly Used- Commonly Asked" posts has been updated to reflect this change.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (EuropeanAM)

What about an 04 250 XS ?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (gambler1)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by gambler1 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">What about an 04 250 XS ?</td></tr></table>

See the following post for regular updates (will be updated again as soon as the "official" publication comes out on MercNet).

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=310172

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member

Hi What would be involved to switch oil to the new recommended Oil
    Does the system need to be flushed out or do you mix the two oils?
    Eric

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (eric1966)

The Optimax/DFI oil and Premium Plus are COMPLETELY compatible with each other. If changing over, simply start refilling with the Optimax/DFI.

6. Member

Don,

Which oil do you recommend? Been hearing that the switch to optimax DFI oil for PRO XS engines was a misprint. Soon to be running a 250 PRO XS.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (ErieFeeling)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by ErieFeeling &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Don,

Which oil do you recommend? Been hearing that the switch to optimax DFI oil for PRO XS engines was a misprint. Soon to be running a 250 PRO XS.</td></tr></table>

There has been conflicting information (even at high levels) for a couple of months. We were even informed several times that the website was a misprint (turns out, it was not).

I suspect this latest change was brought on due to changing factors in the operational parameters most of these engines operate under.

It has been confirmed that the Optimax/DFI oil is indeed the oil recommended by the Engineering Department, as it has additional additives to help combat carbon buildup (which is something we've been battling, especially with the introduction of side-imaging sonar.... which often leads to excessive "low RPM operation"). This does not negate the recommendation for use of Quickleen, however.

Always stick with the manufacturer's <u>latest</u> recommendation (Optimax/DFI).

8. Member

Don,

Thanks for the reply. That clears that up. Been on 10 different sites and nobody knew what was going on. Seems like your the guy to talk to when it comes to these Mercs.

Don
    Whats the difference in the Mercury OptiMax / DFI and Quicksilver DFI 2-Cycle engine oil. Is it the same oil just packaged differently?
    Do Work !

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (jigginjeff)

Mercury Optimax/DFI oil, and Quicksilver Optimax/DFI oil are the SAME PRODUCT (should even be the same part number.... with a "K" for Mercury, or a "Q" for Quicksilver).

Do Work !

12. BBC SPONSOR

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (jigginjeff)

Hmmmmm, seems to me Mercury wants that additional $2-4 for the DFI oil. You cant tell me they just now figured the DFI oil is better!

13. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar

Thanks for posting this Don...now I get to part with a few more bucks.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (billius)

Shouldn't cost you any more Bill. You never go fishing, you're always here

Why am I in the Merc forum?

15. Member

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (Fiddlefarter)

Does this mean we can stop adding Quickleen?

Seadoo had been doing the DFI thing for years.

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (Tracker Tim)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Tracker Tim &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Does this mean we can stop adding Quickleen?

Seadoo had been doing the DFI thing for years.</td></tr></table>

When I talked with Don, he recommended continuing with Quickleen and a stabilizer such as Stabil or others.

I have run Optimax motors since fall of 98. I have always used Premium plus, or, when winning some Opti Oil, have mixed them. No issues at all!!!

I have been using the DFI oil since I noticed excessive oil residue on the hub of my prop. I used half a gallon of Premium Plus and dumped it out and went back to DFI, oil residue has never reappeared. Thanks for the Update.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (Tracker Tim)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Tracker Tim &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Does this mean we can stop adding Quickleen?

Seadoo had been doing the DFI thing for years.</td></tr></table>

You should continue to run Quickleen in EVERY tank of fuel. This has not changed (see original post.... this information is in the post).

Not sure where the Seadoo thing came from.... very similar system, even some common components- but VERY different operational parameters.

19. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (Fiddlefarter)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Fiddlefarter &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Shouldn't cost you any more Bill. You never go fishing, you're always here

Why am I in the Merc forum? </td></tr></table>

I don't go as often as I'd like...only about once a week, need to improve on that. And why ARE you here on the Merc forum??
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

20. Member

I have read it more than once and still can't see where it says retro-active on earlier years. I have a early 2010 250 Pro XS and should I change over to DFI oil?

Thanks,
    Barry

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast