Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think your dealer may be locked into "old school" thinking. "It's always worked in the past so I'm not into newfangled ideas".
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

2. Member
    Maybe...but he said his Mercruy rep told him this...recently!

3. Member
    My other question would be why can't you mix them. If your running premium plus now and want to change over to DFI oil why can't you mix them. If he's telling you to run premium plus ask him if he is going to stand behind the warranty if it blows up and Mercury says tough you should have ran DFI oil. Call mercury customer service and see what they tell you.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    My other question would be why can't you mix them. If your running premium plus now and want to change over to DFI oil why can't you mix them. If he's telling you to run premium plus ask him if he is going to stand behind the warranty if it blows up and Mercury says tough you should have ran DFI oil. Call mercury customer service and see what they tell you.
    Optimax/DFI Oil.

This is per printed communication to dealers (via MercNet) under SERVICE NEWS, dated August 1, 2011.

Also can be verified under the "specifications" of various Optimax models on Mercury's Website: http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines...optimax/proxs/

I believe you will find that your dealer has misunderstood, or misquoted "Doug" (BTW... he retired from the company about the same time as this communication went out).

Per Mercury, Optimax/DFI oil and the Mercury/Quicksilver Premium plus are totally compatible with one another.

BTW... the very first post in this topic is a direct quote from the MercNet Dealer Communication.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 10-17-2012 at 07:58 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Should i run the DFI oil in a 300XS ? I do idle some w/side imaging.Yes or no.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmwilliams View Post
    Should i run the DFI oil in a 300XS ? I do idle some w/side imaging.Yes or no.
    Premium Plus is still the recommended lubricant for the Mercury Racing Optimax Models, such as your 300XS.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    "Premium Plus is still the recommended lubricant for the Mercury Racing Optimax Models, such as your 300XS."
    Don, what about using the "Premium Plus Synthetic" that's now on store shelves instead of just "Premium Plus"?
    2000 Stroker 300XS -Black Creek Lives Matter - Pat Paulsen for Pres.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCreekStroker View Post
    "Premium Plus is still the recommended lubricant for the Mercury Racing Optimax Models, such as your 300XS."
    Don, what about using the "Premium Plus Synthetic" that's now on store shelves instead of just "Premium Plus"?
    Premium PLUS is a Synthetic BLEND (and has been as long as I can remember).

Anytime you're in doubt about the contents of a container (due to unusual or new labeling), provide the Part Number from the back label of the bottle (from which we can easily confirm the contents).

9. Member
    10/4! Thanks Don!!
    2000 Stroker 300XS -Black Creek Lives Matter - Pat Paulsen for Pres.

The guy who had the boat before me said he only ran the synthetic blend from day 1. Should I change to the merc dfi oil ASAP? Motor serial number 1b937353

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    The guy who had the boat before me said he only ran the synthetic blend from day 1. Should I change to the merc dfi oil ASAP? Motor serial number 1b937353
    Same thing with my boat, he said the dfi was "too expensive"... I switched, but with my luck it'll blow next time out.

12. Member
    DFI oil isn't cheap....but it's WAYYYYY cheaper than rods, pistons, a crankshaft, an engine block and the countless hours required to install them. A wise man once told me that there are 4 things to never 'price shop' for:

1) Surgeons
    2) Lawyers
    3) Helmets
    4) Oil
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

13. Member
    Merc DFI IS synthetic blend.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Member
    DFI

What's the best way to get all the oil out of the oil tank

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

16. Member
    If he was running mercury premium plus "synthetic blend", there is no reason to drain the oil tank. DFI oil is fully compatable.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

Yea thats what he used.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Merc DFI IS synthetic blend.
    More accurately, it Is A Synthetic blend.

Several of the available bottles marked "Synthetic Blend" actually contain "Premium PLUS" oil. Not to be confused with DFI oil.

19. Member
    What's the best way to get all the oil out of the oil tank
    Post #5 of this thread explains what to do.

20. Member
    My optimax/dfi oil says synthetic blend on it. Part number 92-858037K01. Is that the correct oil for my 2011 proxs ser number 1B802382?
    2011 21xrd
    2011 250 Pro XS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast