Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (EuropeanAM)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by EuropeanAM &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Effective October, 2010, Mercury has "officially" announced a change in it's oil recommendation for the entire line of ProXS Engines.

Due to a better additive package (that helps to decrease carbon buildup), OPTIMAX/DFI oil is now recommended for ALL ProXS Engines.</td></tr></table>

"Entire Line" and "ALL ProXS Engines" does indeed indicate that the recommendation is RETROACTIVE to prior years.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member

OK, my wally world only has premium plus and the synthetic blend. How does the synthetic blend hold up compared to the DFI?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (cpacheco)

The bottles labeled "Synthetic Blend" are usually PREMIUM PLUS (with a different label). If you can obtain the part number from the container, that allows for "accurate determination" of what is inside the container.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member

What about amsoil hp injector oil, it says its good for an opti max, what about pro xs, I can get it cheaper than DFI oil here its 32 a gal prem plus 19.99 I got cases of amsoil at my shop I can get cheap.

Proudly number 37496

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: OIL RECOMMENDATION CHANGE for ProXS Engine Line! (bwwarnock)

Refer to your owner's manual, or the recommendations found above.

You should certainly be able to find Optimax/DFI oil for less than that amount.... especially if you purchase it from a dealer's "bulk supply".

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

This post has been added to the "Commonly Asked- Commonly Used" Sticky at the top of the forum (for future reference).

7. Member
    I dont understand the different reccomendation for oil use , whats the difference between the Pro XS and the Racing XS, arent these motors very similar, and both in the Optimax family?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (TexasCub)

Yes, they are.

Difference: Intended use.

ProXS is commonly utilized for "Consumer Use". Even in a fishing application, these are often run at lower RPM's (especially since the advent of Side Imaging Sonar).

XS is a RACING ENGINE (and there's an obvious presumption that as a racing engine, it won't spend much time at lower RPM's).

9. Member

Re: (EuropeanAM)

So if I am using my Racing XS in a fishing appliction as opposed to a racing application should i adhere to the Pro XS reccomendation? I idle around quite a bit using electronics.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Going STRICTLY by the written recommendation- you should remain with Premium Plus.

However, common sense dictates that your above comment is both sensible and appropriate (based on the specific application of your engine).

11. Member

Yesterday I ran the boat, but I spent a lot of time setting up some new electronics and moving around slowly. When I pulled the boat out of the water at then end of the day, I noticed a black smudgy coating on the prop hub, its coated the whole inside of the hub black. Its more smooty than oily but it definately has an oily texture. I dont know if thats from slow speeds with Premium Plus or maybe a slight decarbing since I took your advice Don and put 2 oz of Quickleen in the new fuel filter when I replaced it. Common sense is telling me to run DFI instead of Premium Plus.

P.S. Don , she runs a lot better with all 6 plug wires connected to the coils!...grin

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

That does sound like carbon buildup (probably more related to the running you did, than to specifically the oil).

Try finishing off each outing with a nice, long run (5 minutes minimum) in the 3500-4500 RPM band. This is where your engine get's it's best fuel economy, and where it runs the "cleanest" (thus assisting in reducing carbon buildup).

13. Banned

I'm new to the Mercury family, with a 150 Pro XS. Is there a difference in color between the OptiMax/DFI oil and the Premium Plus? My dealer sells in bulk and I want to be sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Jake

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (Jake Grey)

Optimax/DFI is a Tan-Brown color, and Premium Plus has a Bluish/Green color.

If in doubt.... ask to see the drum. Should be clearly labeled.

15. Banned

Thanks Don!

Jake

16. Member

Difference in oil

I won a jug of the synthetic blend premium plus, part no. 92-858027K01. I have a 225 pro xs and have been using the synthetic blend optimax/DFI, part no.92-858037K01. Is the jug of primimum ok to use in my motor? Is it the same as the opti/DFI? I noticed the premium plus has TC-W3 certified and the opti/DFI says it's not inteded for use in any engines specifying a TC-W3 oil. Thanks in advance!

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Difference in oil (bama railman)

The Synthetic Blend (which is actually Premium Plus) can be used "temporarily" if Optimax/DFI oil is not available.

However, Optimax/DFI oil IS the correct (and recommended) lubricant for your Optimax or ProXS Optimax engine.

18. Member

Re: Difference in oil (EuropeanAM)

Don, I have a 2.5 liter XRi 150 EFI. I'm not sure where this falls in the product line, as I've seen similar motors labeled Optimax, BlackMax etc. Would I follow the recommendations for the Optimax, or should I use something else? Thanks for your help. GS

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Difference in oil (gsmith2066)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by gsmith2066 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Don, I have a 2.5 liter XRi 150 EFI. I'm not sure where this falls in the product line, as I've seen similar motors labeled Optimax, BlackMax etc. Would I follow the recommendations for the Optimax, or should I use something else? Thanks for your help. GS</td></tr></table>

Welcome to BBC.

Your EFI engine carries the recommendation of Mercury or Quicksilver "Premium PLUS" oil.

Very different engine from the topic being discussed.

20. Member
    I asked my dealer about this information as he had told me I should be using Premium plus oil...his response was

"I told you that your Triton was set up to run Premium Plus. Doug Cody the Mercury Field Rep told me that you should never mix the Premium Plus oil with DFI oil. You can run eather oil you just can not mix them. If you want to run the DFI oil, just drain the Premium Plus and start over".

Can someone explain to me how my 2011 Optimax pro xs could be "set up to run" premium plus oil? Is there a specific injection setting that has to be programmed in?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast