3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp charger on engine???? Wtf???

I was told that I don't need a 4 bank charger to charge my 36 volt trolling motor batteries and starting battery? All I need is a 3 bank for the trolling motor batteries because the engine has a 60 amp charger that charges the cranking battery while running? There's a BIG price difference in a 3 and 4 bank charger so lend me your thoughts...

Re: 3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp char ... (greenpumpkin34)

Consider what you are doing with your cranking battery throughout the day. Lights, accessories, electronics, livewell pumps and aerators, etc.
    Even at 60 amps, your outboard motor will usually not fully charge your cranking battery, especially if you're not making long runs or fishing long periods of time without cranking your big motor. A 10 or 15 amp slow charge overnight will rejuvenate the battery much better than a quick shot of 60 amps for an hour or so. If you can swing the $$ for the 4 bank, then do it. Most chargers these days have much better electrical management systems built in that will shut down each individual bank after a full charge is achieved and manage the batteries to keep them 100% until ready to use.

3. Member

If you have 4 batteries you need a 4 bank charger. In the off months you plug it in once a month to keep every thing in chech. Your big motor does not always charge your cranking battery. IM sent.

4. Member

Re: 3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp char ... (FSH4BAS)

Yeah the whole not running long distances, lights, livewells etc., it just doesn't seem reliable. I didn't think of the quality of the charge. Good advice... Thank you

5. Member

Go with the Dual Pro they are made in the USA they have been known to last 15 years.

6. Member

Re: 3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp char ... (55excl)

Will check out! Thank you

7. Member

It depends on if you are talking about a Alternating charger or a charger when not in use.. Alternating charger you don't need but a three bank charger because the engine charges the starting battery already... I have both on my boat, so if its windy or night fishing as I am running down the lake my engine can maintain my trolling batteries and keep them topped off.. I have Minn Kota chargers on mine and have had very good service, couldn't be happier.. Hope that helps too, sounds like he was talking about an alternating charger though..Good Luck!

Del Bolton
    2007 Triton Tr-200 X2 / Mercury 225 Pro XS

8. Member

Re: 3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp char ... (Bassman669)

I'm talking about the charger on my engine. 2010 Mercury 250 Pro XS. Don't know if its an alternator charger or what. They just told me it has a 60 amp built in charger that charges the cranking battery when running... my question with all the stuff the cranking battery runs is if that's enough. I've camped out on a hole for 8 hours before never turning the big engine on...

9. Member

I have a 250 Pro XS. I run two Humminbird 998's, indash flasher, livewell pumps, blacklights and running lights. I have fished more night tournaments than I can count. I also have a Clarion XM stereo with 5 speakers and an amp. I have no trouble with my cranking battery while I am on the water. I do use a on board charger and I always charge my batteries as soon as I get back from the lake. The key to everything is buy QUALITY batteries and keep them charged. If you do this you will not have a problem.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

10. Im wishin I was fishin

Re: 3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp char ... (BulletTJ)

I would get a 4 if you run 4 batteries, it can save you an unwelcome suprise at the boat ramp you will know they are all fully charged when you go!

Re: 3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp char ... (scstarr)

your engine has a 60amp altenator, however with the high draw on amps the HDS's and power poles and pumps etc it makes it easy to always stay charged, you fish all day and then crank and run a mile or so back to the ramp it will charge starting battery, but it may not have gotten fully charged. Then you get back home , hotel camp and plug up the "charger" and it tops the cranking battery off along with trollers. never hurts to have cranking battery charged, simple insurance
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

12. Member

Re: 3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp char ... (2500)

Piece of mind. Thanks fellas, 4 bank it is. I'm excepting donations--- lol

13. BBC SPONSOR

Get a 4 bank. I am not 100% rather only 99.9% sure that the outboard is only good enough for a surface charge.. You need to be able to charge deep down in the heart of that battery man

14. Member

Re: 3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp char ... (Hydrilla Gear)

+1000

15. Member

Re: 3 or 4 bank charger???????? 60 Amp char ... (55excl)

4 banker it is...

16. Member

Look at a Stealth charger system. It is incredible!