20xrd/250xs Prop test results

There is something going on with the motor because from time to time it would go into gaurdian while coming out of the hole and shut us down one time while making a run. The owner said it had been doing it since he got the boat. He has checked the code and it is saying it is going down on block pressure. He has lowered the motor down to only .5" above pad (verified tonight before we put the boat in the water). Not sure what is going on but I would not raise the motor because of this. I actually wanted to put the boat back on the trailer, but the owner said lets run.

The owner is a member here that just recently got the boat and is looking for the right prop and set up. Really wish we could have raised the motor, but I did not want to tear anything up. Hopefully the owner will chime in and give us his opinion. He is more familiar with the boat and also knows more of what he wants out of it. My idea of a decent or good holeshot or mid-range may be different than his.

Anyway, test conditions where 97* air temp and 95* water temp. (forgot to check humidity) and water was almost dead slick until right at the end and got just a bit of a ripple.

First prop was a 28 Bravo it did okay, but only ran 87.5@6200 with 2 aboard. I really think there was more there, but I was still getting the feel for the boat. Would like to run this prop again on the boat now that I am more comfortable with it.

Next prop was a 30 Bravo that ran pretty dang good. It posted 89.6@6100 with 2 aboard. I really would have liked to run this prop solo, but we had another prop we still wanted to run. Holeshot was decent (not outstanding), but could use a little bigger vent holes (only 1" holes). Mid-range was outstanding and really pulled hard to 6100. If it was my call, this is the prop I would go with with bigger vent holes for a fishing prop.

Last but not least was the beast prop, a 30 Performer 4 BC (this prop is a little stiffer than a stock 30). It ran 90.4@5500 with 2 aboard. Not the best holeshot, but this motor really impressed me with the mid-range pull with this prop. I think a 28 set up like this prop would make this boat scream. Solo it ran 93.3@5500, I was really kind of hoping for a little more solo, but the motor just kind of hit a wall at 5500 with this prop. If we would have raised the motor and got it up where it needed to be it probably could have pulled a couple more mph out of it.

Again this was a 20xrd/250xs with sportsmaster 1.62 gears and 12" jackplate. This thing was a blast to drive and extremely responsive to trim inputs. I still like my 21 footer better, but man was it fun. Really wish we could have raised the motor up because I truely believe there was another 2-4 mph left in it especially solo.

2. Member

Re: 20xrd/250xs Prop test results (70 Mach 1)

thanks for the info.

gunna have to get my hands on one to try it out
    20XRD COMP/300X

Buddy I am not sure where Gonzales is, but I am not afraid to do a little traveling to meet you somewhere. You are welcome to run the prop. I personally can only turn this prop 5900 in cool air with my 300xs.

4. Member

Re: (70 Mach 1)

when is the bossier city rally ?... might try to make that one
    20XRD COMP/300X

May 5,6,7, and 8.

6. BBC SPONSOR

Re: (bayoubullet)

Sound like good test results. Wish the motor was running better for you.

Has the Bravo been re raked?

7. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by 70 Mach 1 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">May 5,6,7, and 8.</td></tr></table>i do belive i will make it. after concordia rally my boat will not move until after huntin season.... i dont think this boat is so fun to drive that i might have to miss a few hunts just to go play
    20XRD COMP/300X

Rich it has been tweaked, but I tried the Tempest blade profile and did not like it for my boat. It did not seem to accellerate as well and was no faster up top. My current blade profile still looks very similar to stock and is not aggressive, but runs well and handles very well.

Modified by 70 Mach 1 at 3:18 PM 9/17/2010

9. BBC SPONSOR

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by 70 Mach 1 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Rich it has been tweaked, but I tried the Tempest blade profile and did not like it for my boat. It did not seem to accellerate as well and was no faster up top. My current blade profile still looks very similar to stock and is not aggressive, but runs well and handles very well.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;
    Modified by 70 Mach 1 at 3:18 PM 9/17/2010</td></tr></table>

10-4 I have not run one that has had the ear design mod.