prop question txp/hydromotive/bravo 20xd w/250xs

ok, i know there are hundreds of questions on the right prop to use and each setup is different: here goes:
    i have a 2002 20 xd with 2005 250 xs and 12" plate i just took the 1.75 torque master off and put a new 1.62 sportmaster on, i was running a 30 bravo 1 with double holes but just never saw over 6050 rpm (which for the xs is just right as far as the powerband goes) and about 81 mph loaded heavy to fish, which is real slow compared to most others.

I put the sportmaster on and moved the engine up 1 1/2" on the bolts then jacked the plate up another 3/4, i think i'm about 1/2" to 3/4" above the pad this is just for starters.

finally here is my question: from all that i've read and BWB mag. article everyone says the 28 hydromotive quad IV ot is the one to use and that is what i'm looking at, i also thought about a 4 blade performer with a bullet cut, and when i talked to tim at performance propeller he said since he was out of perfromers right now that i should try a txp 4 blade and that a lot of guys seemed to prefer them on the 20 bullets.
    i had ran a 3 blsde txp (29 or 31) off my sons stratos and it was real fast but had real hairy handling when i was in the boat by myself, i mean real hairy?

so what i'm asking is if you guys have ran more than one of these which one gives the best all around fishing ability without losing much speed and handling.
    my priority is to be able to plane off without having someone lay on the front deck when the livewells are full and still run as fast as possible.

i know that's what we all want and with my sons 28 bal. and blueprinted 28 bravo 1 it apears that it is faster now and the whole shot is real good but i have no tbeen able to have anyone in the passengers seat but i did make a quick run and had to back off, but i did get to around 82 but this was at 1/2" below the pad, i have now jacked it up another inch or so.

SORRY it is so long but I appreciate the help guys. I am ready to buy a prop now and since i have 10 or more laying around now that aren't right for my current setup i don't need another useless one!

2. Member

Re: prop question txp/hydromotive/bravo 20xd w/250xs (james69z28)

28 Hydromotive

3. Member

James a very good friend of mine had the same setup as you.

me @ 230 and he is about 170lbs

all tackle, rods, reels, livewells full.......88-90 mph with that load

14'' rapid jack set at 1 1/2'' over pad....worked 29 hydromotive quad 4 ob with dual vent holes drilled. 1.62 sportmaster.

4. Member

Re: prop question txp/hydromotive/bravo 20xd w/250xs (mercury97)

i have ran the 3 and 4 blade txp props on my 20xd /225 yammie. 3 blade was 1.5 to 2 mph faster, but like you said it got real squirly on the top end. the 4 blade could be driven with one hand at 90mph. the 250merc/ bullet combos that my buddies are running are seeming to like the hydromotives better. i am currently running a 29 BC performer on my 300X/ 20xrd and love it. not sure if this info helps
    20XRD COMP/300X

I am running a 28 pitch TXP-OT4 on my 03 Bullet 21XD with a 04 merc 3.0 225EFI and with a fishing load and a tad over half tank of gas no water in the live well's, just me I'm running 82.6 (gps) at 1.5 below the pad and torque master with 1.75 gears and have a two second hole shot 14 inch rapid jack and at 5650 rpm I'am loving it not to shabby for a 225 EFI, and a very good price for that prop with a life time gaurantee.....

6. Member

Re: prop question txp/hydromotive/bravo 20xd w/250xs (tmbullet)

tmbullet, you are getting the most out of that rig! first a 21' with only a 225? my 20 xd with 250xs and the torquemaster lower and 12" rapidjack and 1.75 gears with a 30 bravo 1 and fishing load and 2 people will barely see 80-81 on the best day.
    this says a lot for the txp! and at that price too! i will have to buy and try a hydromotive 28 and then try a txp and see how they run on the same day and same setup! I thought most bullet guys prefered the hydromotive but Tim at performance said more of his customers prefered the txp, but you never know if the difference is the cost of the prop or not???
    more people prefer regular fuel over premium but if they cost the same more would buy the premium, at least that's what i think??
    thanks for your input, your post makes me want to try one a lot more now.
    I may also need to go to a 14" jackplate too! but usually you loose a lot of holeshot, but since i weigh about 330 and i carry a full Topdogtackle.com inventory (seems like more than a Walmart) it may help!

Ya buddy I love that TXP-OT4, I would like to try a 29 pitch TXP 3 blade Mike Lohn thinks I may hit 84 with a light load I would like to try it just for $hit's and giggles, but you should try a turbo TXP-OT4 I think you will love it especially the price and the life time warranty as long as you don't have it worked on , good luck my friend!!!

8. Member

Re: prop question txp/hydromotive/bravo 20xd w/250xs (tmbullet)

I will have to say on my 21 with a 250xs 1.62 gears, the ot/4 did not run good. I seemed to hit a wall and would not run over 81 loaded or unloaded. I really liked the looks and thick blades on the TXP's and cost. I got a Bravo and thought I would like it, and have to say I cannot stand it either. If a Trophy would hold up, that would be the only prop I would run. I can run 85-86 single with a 27 trophy and 82-83 loaded with a Trophy. I am thinking about selling the Bravo and trying a Hydromotive. It sems like every Bullet runs alittle different with each prop, I will keep searching till I find what I like.

9. Member

Re: prop question txp/hydromotive/bravo 20xd w/250xs (todd250)

I have a 20 xdc with 250 Yamaha with hpdi gear case, on a 15 jack, mine runs 85 with just me and 82 with loaded to the gills with a 28 bravo labbed ob. I have also run 81 with 3 guys and gear. I ran a new 27 txp ot4 an I can only get 81 with just me. The 28 bravo turns 200 more rpm, they handle very similar. I would like to run a 30 txp 3 blade and see what it can do. The bravo is supposed to be one of the slowest props you can run on a bullet,with the right prop I hope to see 90, but I will probably sell this boat before I can really get it setup right.

S&S PRECISION RIFLES, LLC.
    New Castle, PA 16101
    724 822 9197 Shep

10. Member

Re: prop question txp/hydromotive/bravo 20xd w/250xs (bronzeback 20XDC)

I understand, I figure by the time I find what runs good I will either sell the boat or break the motor? I have 12 or 15 props that were from me trying to get the right one when I had a 225x motor but now they are of no use to me!
    I ran it last night in a tx. and with me at 330 and a 275 lb partner and all gear (way, way too much plastic) it ran as bad as it ever has!!!
    I would barely come out of the hole and it only hit 74 mph at 5500 rpm. that is awful!!! I had 20 psi water press. so it makes me think I need to go higher but it seemed as if the 28 Bravo 1 wasn't lifting the boat where as last week I ran it by myself and it jumped out of the hole and hit 83-84 real quick with much more left, the only difference is the added weight and I raised the motor 1/2 to 3/4" ince running it last.

11. Member

I understand todd250, I ran a trophy and really liked it until at a tx blastoff and I slung a blade without a spare with me, 100 miles from home, and I had just taken the spare out that mourning! with my TM lower and 1.75 gears my 30 Bravo was far out of the hole and quick up to 80-81 but liike you said it "hit a wall"!

12. Member

well i took daddychatams advice and i did raise it up to 1 1/2" above and it did actually run better and handled pretty good except when turning it felt like the rear was going to slide out from under me? it got the rpm's up the 28 bravo ran 83-84 at 6000 rpm's with about 18 psi water press. this was loaded real heavy and real humid 97 degrees. i also ran a 27 4lade txp but could only turn it about 56 or 5700 rpm (if i remember right) about the same speeds.

13. Member

James,
    Love to have you try a 28-29 QIV X OB on that rig. Works real well.Call any time 330-425-3629,

Todd

14. Member

Re: prop question txp/hydromotive/bravo 20xd w/250xs (prophydro)

I have been talking to hydro. but i am still confused on "which" prop, the x ob or the x ss? I know you said option A. I am trying to find one to just try, but i have been told that if i'm running a bravo that there is not much difference in them and i have 3 bravos in stock? i am really confused now!