Bleed Line check Valves - How to check?

Replacing the reeds on a '97 225EFI. Boyesen installation instructions state to check the function of the bleed system check valves. How is this done? I can blow/pull air through all but one of the valves. If they are all shot, how tough is it to change them out? Is it a foolish assumption to believe they are threaded?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Bleed Line check Valves - How to check? (wilbur)

A Factory Repair manual (and perhaps a parts diagram) will help you to determine WHICH are "check valves" and which are "straight fittings".

Most all of these fittings/check valves are PRESSED IN (with red loctite). Removal and replacement is either "real easy".... or "real difficult" (removal of the old ones it the difficult part).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member

Re: Bleed Line check Valves - How to check? (EuropeanAM)

Then "suck and blow" is the approved method to check the check valves?

4. Member

You will need to know which you can blow thru and which you cant, Not sure about your motor but mine 97 promax (example) bottom of block you can suck thru it but not blow, top of block you can blow thru it but not suck. Just got new ones from Don yesterday, hope to put them in today.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by wilbur &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    Then "suck and blow" is the approved method to check the check valves?</td></tr></table>

Technically correct (though I would recommend utilizing a small "mityvac" vaccum/pressure pump to avoid the possibility of a mouth full of fuel/oil mix).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member

Don, i had a mini vac laying beside me when i checked mine. Did not use it the first time but after five minuates of flushing with the hose pipe i decided it would be a good ideal to use it on the next one. Had no ideal there was that much fuel/oil laying in the bottom of the crank.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by EuropeanAM &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Technically correct (though I would recommend utilizing a small "mityvac" vaccum/pressure pump to avoid the possibility of a mouth full of fuel/oil mix).

</td></tr></table>

What's the matter Don, don't you gargle with that mix in the morning anyway............
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Bleed Line check Valves - How to check? (Nikon Man)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Nikon Man &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

What's the matter Don, don't you gargle with that mix in the morning anyway............ </td></tr></table>

Nah.... I'm done with that. Besides.... since the introduction of 10% ethanol (or higher).... I'd be a mess by the time I checked a full set of those check valves!

9. Member

Mmm....ethanol