Thread: Just an update

Just an update

History: I bought the boat used about 5 months ago so I have no idea of the PM that has been done. With that said since I have owned this boat I have cleaned, checked , or changed: air compressor filter at the block, checked t-stats (also added merc monitor), spark plugs, oil line entering the motor was pinched in between the throttle and bracket, greased/oiled all locations with appropiate grease/oil, water pump and foot oil. When I changed the foot oil, I got maybe a 1/2 quart out and it was milky. I know that some could be moisture in the foot but this was a little too much. So I am gonna run it for a month or two and change it again. If it is milky this time, I will be calling you Mr. Don for an appointment. 07 Merc 250 pro xs s/n 1B446096. I don't know if it would be considered warranty work or not, I do have about 1.5 years left on the warranty.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

2. Member

Re: Just an update (tonka)

I would not run it that long before i had it checked or the repair bill could be a lot more. Let Don do a leak test on it. Could be the seals or the oil may have been mixed. If you used a synthetic and the previous owner used high performance it will turn milky.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Just an update (CRIMSONGAMBLER)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by CRIMSONGAMBLER &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I would not run it that long before i had it checked or the repair bill could be a lot more. Let Don do a leak test on it. Could be the seals or the oil may have been mixed. If you used a synthetic and the previous owner used high performance it will turn milky.</td></tr></table>

I agree- a leak test is in order.

If you're under the FACTORY warranty (and not a Product Protection Plan).... seals proven to be DEFECTIVE would be covered.

However.... just an FYI: The Mercury or Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube is synthetic.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member

Re: Just an update (EuropeanAM)

Awe crap, no wonder i had troubles with it. Learn more everyday.

Re: Just an update (CRIMSONGAMBLER)

Yea, this site is very informative. I only thought I knew a little about outboards. So now I guess I need to look at my work load and figure out a good day to take off and see if it is good for European Marine also. I know it will be atleast 2 weeks till I can get a day during the normal work week off, plus it's a 3+ hr drive up there. The motor has that 3+2 warranty on it so...... it may be covered, hopefully, but if not that's ok. Gotta do what ya gotta do.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Just an update (tonka)

Just give us a call- Rhonda can set you up an appointment (make sure she has your serial number so we can ensure we have a seal kit on hand).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor