Motor trimming up by itself

Serial # 1B903884

The past two evenings that I've come home from work my motor has been trimmed up all the way?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Had my merc do that while running across the lake. My turn signal trim was the culprit ,it was gritty from a ride home in the rain. I now use a little spray lube on it a few times a year especially when it's been wet. No re-accurance after the lube!

Well it has been outside with the cover off the past couple days in some downpours. What do you mean the pro trim was "gritty"?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

4. Member
    You have water completing the circuit, inside one of the trim switches.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Mine did the exact same thing and it ended up being my switch on the motor that shorted out. If I was you I would disconnect the battery until u find the culprit. Mine finally stuck on, killed my battery, burnt up my up trim really, and almost ruined my wireing harness that plugs into the trim relay. Take it from someone that's been down this road before. Like savage said it's probably one of you trim switches.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Bow switch is the most common culprit (followed by the cowling switch).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

How would I know if it's shorted out and what would I need to do to fix it?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Test with a DVOM.....simple

9. Member
    Mine was the cowling switch you can unplug it and see if it stops.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If it's not doing this while you are standing there looking at it... you're forced to use the process of elimination.

Start with the BOW switch. Gain access to the switch, and disconnect it's power. Note that if you see corrosion or rust on the back of the switch- it's VERY likely the culprit (you simply replace any bad or suspect switch with a new one).

Once the switch is eliminated, see if the problem repeats.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks guys. I disconnected the battery earlier this week and have not had a chance to do any further looking. I plan on finding out which switch is bad this evening.

Thanks again for the help!
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Just an update... I found out it was one of the trim relays mounted on the motor that was sticking. I took it off and put it back on and the trim seems to be working fine now. I'm gonna go ahead and order a new one just in case this one might be bad? Don would you know what the part # is for that and an approximate price?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    You should always replace trim relays in PAIRS.

Will do. Thanks savage
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Has anyone ever installed a properly sized, dedicated disconnect switch for the battery?
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdic View Post
    Has anyone ever installed a properly sized, dedicated disconnect switch for the battery?
    A few hundred of them...

17. Member
    I just put a switch on all my batteries for that very reason

Thanks for the information, going to research the proper size switch the starting battery of the engine.

No luck in the search forum, any thoughts on what size switch and manufacture I should use.......1B822149
    Last edited by Rangerdic; 10-12-2016 at 08:12 PM.
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    European Marine)

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perko 9601DP would work well for a single-battery installation (just one of many brand/model options).

Thanks EuropeanAM, for your time and knowledge.
    European Marine)