USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

coil failure again; I have no faith in my 08 250 pro XS

Friday morning on truman; I drive five hours to prefish for a two day tourney and then state championships next week at table rock and I go to get on plane and NO POWER! Imagine that with a mercury! I knew right away it was another coil. If I would have had a gun I would have put this pos out of its misery! I got real lucky though. Made a phone call to Pro Choice marine in Warsaw and they said bring it in. They told me Mercury has come out and said change all the coils with the new design or whatever and so I was off the water only two hours and up and running again. I can not say enough about the outstanding service of Pro Choice! I hope my coil problems are behind me now but I am sick and tired of this crap and will NEVER buy a mercury again. Just a year old and been broke twice for coils. What junk!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Re: coil failure again; I have no faith in my 08 250 pro XS (Puma Jim)

That sucks, but at least you had warranty and got them replaced quickly. I've got an '07 250 pro xs that's just out of warranty and *knock on wood* haven't had a problem yet. It stinks having to keep my fingers crossed every time I go out, but I'm hoping that I got a good set since they've lasted 150 hrs or so now. Maybe your problems are over since you've replaced all of them.

3. Member

Two reasons i don't have a new one now, just bought a used 250xb #1- coils / #2 i was not going too pay $1500..00 in taxes to our lousy government. If you get a boat it is only about 2 1/2%

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Jim:

Look at the face of your coils. There's a number engraved into them.... if that number contains or begins with "8M".... breathe a sigh of relief and know that you're very unlikely to see any further problems in this area.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Re: coil failure again; I have no faith in my 08 250 pro XS (EuropeanAM)

Sounds like you have a good motor just some faulty made coils and Merc is trying to get all new coils on the market..

Frustrating as it may be you still have a good engine there

6. Member

Re: coil failure again; I have no faith in my 08 250 pro XS (Largemouthlou)

Makes you want to buy an older blown up 250XS just for the good coils.
    Merc has had over a year to correct the coil issue. They should just do a full on recall. This is a latent defect, and will keep happening until these coils are fully out of the field.

Meanwhile, the dealers can get a bad rap for a poorly responsive company.

7. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Re: coil failure again; I have no faith in my 08 250 pro XS (John Jackson)

thanks Don, I will look for the "8M". The paperwork references the service bulletin I heard about so maybe I am go. I know it is a good motor but this is t frustrating big time
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP