Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    ? How often should fuel lines be replaced?

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

2. Member
    Inspect annually per Don. New hoses should last for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556 View Post
    Inspect annually per Don. New hoses should last for years.
    Yeah what is years? 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

4. Member
    There are too many factors to nail it down to a number of years, so I inspect mine yearly and make a determination if its time to change them.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    There are too many factors to nail it down to a number of years, so I inspect mine yearly and make a determination if its time to change them.
    Yeah I realize that. Mine sits in a cool garage verses one that sits in the middle of Florida going to have two very different needs. My next post includes a very interesting call to Ranger.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

The main reason I posted the question was my father in-law has a 2002 Ranger Cherokee 118 on Okeechobee and I'm in Ohio and it developed a running problem with his troller motor. It was running fine and in a second was running like it was starving for fuel anything off of an idle. The big motor is fuel injected with no problems and the troller carbureted. I suspect piece of garbage in the run circuit in the carb or pulse pump issue. I'll just trying to figure out what to do and be prepared to do it.

That being said I contacted Ranger today and found them very helpful since I'm 1400 miles away trying to get an idea on what it takes to replace the line from the tank to engines. They put me in touch with the guy that managed the line that boat was built on. Very Nice and helpful person I couldn't ask for better 20 minute conversation.

Paraphrasing here but he stated they used a very high quality nylon type fuel line in that model. And he owns that same model boat a year older and runs any type of gas in it and doesn't do much of anything to treat for the alcohol in the fuel he admitted. He also stated he would be surprised the fuel line being the problem and to look else were first before I went to the trouble gaining access to the fuel line for replacement. His boat still had the original line also but go prepared to replace it but he wouldn't count on needed too.

I wasn't going to do the line unless I found good reason for it. I did my Champion 3 or 4 years ago. Not that big of a deal but it was some work. Just thought I would pass it on. I don't know this guy personally but he has been with Ranger a while and was very free with information and pleasure to speak with. For that matter I talked with two other people before I got sent to him. Very impressed with customer service on that old boat. They all were eager to help. I don't plan to own a Ranger but I liked the service says a lot.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

7. Member
    I would NEVER trust a fuel line in a boat from 2002........15 year old fuel line is asking for problems.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1. Get it upgraded to appropriate/compatible line.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Hi,

I recently purchased a 2001 ranger 681VS w/ a 2001 Mercury 135hp Optimax serial number OT343374 205 engine hours. It ran bad at lower RPM's say 800 to 1200 and would idle rough and spudder and die. So I replaced the fuel line and bulb to the pump and external canister water fuel separator filter. Bulb line was badly degraded. I also rebuilt the diaphragm pump found 2 small particles lodged in diaphragm nothing much. Drained and filled fresh fuel with quickleen and quickcare additive. new set of NGK IZFR5G plugs gapped to .040 (was told by mercury dealer in town to gap them to that) I've heard different gaps from various sources.. Ran great for 2 outings then started acting up again having intermittent spudder and miss (not near as bad as original rough idle and miss) at low speeds idle is still okay but not perfect. checked coils and wires they are good. Checked tracker valve no tears and looks good. Anyone have any advice on what else to do? I'm at a loss here. Maybe replace fuel line from tank to bulb? Check VST internals? Is there a filter inside VST? Maybe regap plugs? Any help would be great. What size fuel line do I need from tank to bulb and where can I order it. Thanks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter08 View Post
    Hi,

I recently purchased a 2001 ranger 681VS w/ a 2001 Mercury 135hp Optimax serial number OT343374 205 engine hours. It ran bad at lower RPM's say 800 to 1200 and would idle rough and spudder and die. So I replaced the fuel line and bulb to the pump and external canister water fuel separator filter. Bulb line was badly degraded. I also rebuilt the diaphragm pump found 2 small particles lodged in diaphragm nothing much. Drained and filled fresh fuel with quickleen and quickcare additive. new set of NGK IZFR5G plugs gapped to .040 (was told by mercury dealer in town to gap them to that) I've heard different gaps from various sources.. Ran great for 2 outings then started acting up again having intermittent spudder and miss (not near as bad as original rough idle and miss) at low speeds idle is still okay but not perfect. checked coils and wires they are good. Checked tracker valve no tears and looks good. Anyone have any advice on what else to do? I'm at a loss here. Maybe replace fuel line from tank to bulb? Check VST internals? Is there a filter inside VST? Maybe regap plugs? Any help would be great. What size fuel line do I need from tank to bulb and where can I order it. Thanks
    You've got this posted in the 2.5L forum (what your engine is) and replied to. Suggest we work through this with you there.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Okay great thank you

12. Member
    I would like to order some Fuel lines for my boat. The line from the the tank to the Primer bulb. Can someone point me in the right direction?

13. Member
    Please see the link I posted to your topic in the 2.5L forum.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskyhunter08 View Post
    I would like to order some Fuel lines for my boat. The line from the the tank to the Primer bulb. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    I have a brand new boat and the fuel lines are black with gray writing. Should this all be changed out? If so i will take it in and let them know im not happy with what they installed.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havenman View Post
    I have a brand new boat and the fuel lines are black with gray writing. Should this all be changed out? If so i will take it in and let them know im not happy with what they installed.
    Before you get into that, let's open a separate thread for YOUR engine, and provide the required info. Some engines may differing requirements.

17. Member
    I’ll revive an old thread to say Thank You. My Tracker 175 txw had the orange letter line from the bulb to motor. After buying this boat used with little use, I’ve only been to the lake 4 times within a month and started experiencing priming issues. Sure as can be, the fuel connection at the motor clogged up with all sorts of orange plastic goodness. Gotta man up and try rebuild8ng the pulse pump but fuel lines, bulb, and new filters are on the way.
    Ive been ethanol free but little can be said for previous owner.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tritonman917 View Post
    Don, quick question, my motor idles fine and runs fine up to about 30 mph, but when you open it up, it wont run but about 45 to 50 mph. You can feel it kinda boggin down and up and hear it also. Replaced plugs and large fuel filter, but no change. Will lines cause this? It is a 200 ProXS. It ran about 65 when new. You mite remember me, I bought it from you, and had the Merc Smart gauge put in it when new. I think it is a 2013 yr model. Tommy
    Please review the Forum Announcements (at the top of the forum), and open a separate thread for your engine. Be sure to provide the required info with your new post.

19. Member
    I looked at my fuel lines and they seem to be solid gray. Would you suggest changing them out.

20. Member
    Yes.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast