Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Performance problems? Read Here and Upgrade Fuel Supply System FIRST!

If you have been referred to this post by a link- Please read this FIRST POST- and perform ALL RECOMMENDED ITEMS, AT THE SAME TIME, THE FIRST TIME AROUND!!!!!!

If you DO NOT perform ALL recommended items at the same time, you are VERY LIKELY to spend WEEKS or MONTHS chasing problems around your fuel system, wasting your time, money, and countless board posts on "mystery problems".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's a little information on what's happening to some of the "non-current" fuel lines (some even on 2010 or later rigs). This is not due to any defect- to put it simply, these lines were never designed to carry the levels of Ethanol that we're seeing in today's fuels!

GRAY FUEL LINE (especially Gray w/RED or ORANGE Print) is very susceptible to the inner liner de-laminating and breaking into pieces, or being sucked closed.

gray-red-print-line.jpg
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspect your fuel line between the bulb and the engine. If you have this line... (Gray line with RED or ORANGE PRINT) it's probably a VERY good idea to replace it (even as a preventative measure):

Recommended replacement line: Mercury or Quicksilver "EPA APPROVED" Line. This line is available in BULK lengths, either 5/16" or 3/8" Inside Diameter (we try to always keep plenty in stock). The NEW, EPA APPROVED line is GRAY, with BLUE PRINT on the line.

We now also carry A1-15 Low-Permeation line for below-deck installation.

3/8" Line from TANK TO BULB, and 5/16" Line from BULB TO FUEL PUMP INSIDE COWLING (normal installations).

Example Pictures:

Don't forget to CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER, primer bulb, and REBUILD THE PULSE (diaphram-type) FUEL PUMP if there's any question that the old line was deteriorating!

Here's another example of debris, including some REAL good pictures (LOOK):

http://www.bbcboards.net/zerot...32712

Another picture of a fuel sample that came from a deteriorated line:

fuel-line-sample.jpg

Yet another line sample picture from GA CHAMP203:

Example of deteriorated line in the Pulse Fuel Pump:

pulse-pump-fuel-line.jpg

NEW-STYLE, LOW PERMEATION PRIMER BULB:

The new-style (low permeation) Mercury Primer bulbs are actually a DUAL layer bulb. Appropriate bulb will accept EITHER 3/8" or 5/16" line (specially sized barbs).
    See example below (a bulb cut open to demonstrate:

primerbulb.jpg

*** IMPORTANT NOTE: There were a limited number of 8M...... primer bulbs and lines that made it out with "stainless clip-style" clamps on the primer bulb assembly itself. The APPROPRIATE clamp is a full-banded Oetiker Clamp.

If your primer bulb was an 8M....... part number, and the black rubber of the bulb appears to be "bunched up" under a clip-style stainless clamp (rather than an Oetiker-clamp), contact any Authorized Dealer for a replacement bulb (bulb would be replaced under Mercury's Parts and Accessories Warranty). Proof of purchase required.

DO NOT add additional inline filters or water separators to your system. Doing so can introduce a fuel-supply RESTRICTION. Additionally, standard production (and all recent years High-Perf) EFI and Optimax engines are ALREADY EQUIPPED with a water separating fuel filter.

Just a quick reminder about the B1-15 Gray w/Blue Print fuel line:

ALWAYS keep a coffee cup of PIPING HOT (heat in the microwave) water on hand, so you can put the end of the line into the water for 20-30 seconds, shake the water from the line, and then install the new line onto the nipple.

Following this practice drastically reduces the odds of hanging up on the inner lining and damaging the brand-new line you are installing.

The pictured piece of line was precisely this: It appeared to be installed correctly, and when cut off you could see light through it (with what appeared to be some distortion of the inner liner).

HOWEVER: When you sliced the sample open, that nipple TOTALLY missed the target, and ended up forced between the liner and the outer line.

Following the above recommendation would have prevented this, as well as the frustration that an 80% fuel restriction caused.

Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 07-01-2021 at 11:55 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (EuropeanAM)

Thanks Don..

I think I have one section in front of the bulb that is regular automotive fuel line..... will replace it all....

3. Member

Don, I don't have a Grey line on my '03 TR21. Mines black all the way from the tank to the motor. Are there issues with these lines?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (03TritonBill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 03TritonBill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don, I don't have a Grey line on my '03 TR21. Mines black all the way from the tank to the motor. Are there issues with these lines? </TD></TR></TABLE>

My boat is getting the new EPA approved OEM line BEFORE IT'S EVEN STARTED for the season!

I see the results.... and I'm not taking ANY chances, myself.

And I'll add.... my lines are only 10 months old....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I agree

If there are issues with a $20.00 fix verses major problems later ?????

6. Member

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (fishnfireman)

That line looks familiar!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (rovngmblr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rovngmblr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That line looks familiar! </TD></TR></TABLE>

One of those SHOULD look very familiar....

8. Member

Hi Don. Quick question please? What about the line from the tank to the bulb? Mine is very difficult to get at. Should I be concerned? Boat is 2002 Stratos Magnum 21XL with the Pro XB 250. Thanks.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (oldgeezer)

Although SOME lines used in this location MAY be suitable for continued use.... since I cannot "see" and identify the line, I will always recommend replacement FROM THE TANK, ALL THE WAY TO THE ENGINE.

Don, My line is grey with black specification letters...says "Canada 23:48 Alcohol Resistant".
    Is this OK?

Mike Pruett
    Carolina Skiff
    75 HP Optimax
    2007 Ford Expedition EL

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (Hydrasports196)

Went and cut 4" off my fuel line after the bulb to ck for any break down... there was none, this line has been in the boat since mid 06, also the same bulb... What I did notice was a very fine whit residue, and this was after the motor had been run..

My ? is,,,,,,,,,,, what kind of shape is the fuel line that is pre bent and rigged in the motors?? Mine has been there since 04

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (Largemouthlou)

Lou, Don and all:

I know I have been talking for a long time about how ethanol gas came to the North East a few years back and I've hated dealing with it but I wanted to show you this picture from my new boat last fall when Bob at USA Marine and I received it to rig with my Merc. The boat was originally rigged in 08 at Hydro Tec by Wayne and his great team. The lines in the boat were all black in color I don't remember much but as a rule we felt it was best to cut ALL the fuel lines and replace with the Merc ethanol line Don is referring to in this post.

Please keep in mind this was rigged as recent as 08 from one of the best of the best shops My boat per Hydro Tec's preference has a high volume water separator in the line in addition to the VST, just look at what we found in the filter canister That is the rubber of the fuel line disintegrating into a fine black powder and that's what was going to the motor that was on it before mine

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (esdbass)

Thanks for that picture Eli..

I only have the one fuel/water seperator on mine and do ck it every 6 months by empting it out like that..

Don is there another filter in the high pressure pump (VST) that you know of??

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (Largemouthlou)

The "primary" filter is the one in the VST (or if yours is an earlier model, the spin-on cannister).

Eli's pictures denote one of the common occurances with the "black" fuel lines.

The hoses utilized INSIDE the engine cowling are much less likely to give problems.

As for the question on "Canadian Fuel Line".... I do not have any specifications on line manufactured with this designation. Because of this.... I would recommend going with the old saying "if in doubt- throw it out".

The fuel line from my bulb to the engine is gray with orange lettering, but the line stops short of the engine and connects with a black line that goes to the engine. I'm having a hard time seeing it because there is the hard conduit that the lines go through and i can't pull it back enough to get to it. It looks like there is a part connecting the gray and black line.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EuropeanAM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a little information on what's happening to some of the "non-current" fuel lines. This is not due to any defect- to put it simply, these lines were never designed to carry the levels of Ethanol that we're seeing in today's fuels!

I've replaced nearly a dozen fuel lines in the last couple of weeks... they all looked like this (or worse):

Note the loose inner linings! These can either be sucked closed, OR pieces can shed loose (as did in this line), and be trapped in fittings, fuel pumps, etc:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspect your fuel line between the bulb and the engine. If you have this line... (Gray line with RED or ORANGE PRINT) it's probably a VERY good idea to replace it (even as a preventative measure):

Recommended replacement line: Mercury or Quicksilver "EPA APPROVED" Line. This line is available in BULK lengths, either 5/16" or 3/8" Inside Diameter (we try to always keep plenty in stock). <U>The NEW, EPA APPROVED line is GRAY, with BLUE PRINT on the line.</U>

</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EuropeanAM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a little information on what's happening to some of the "non-current" fuel lines. This is not due to any defect- to put it simply, these lines were never designed to carry the levels of Ethanol that we're seeing in today's fuels!

I've replaced nearly a dozen fuel lines in the last couple of weeks... they all looked like this (or worse):

Note the loose inner linings! These can either be sucked closed, OR pieces can shed loose (as did in this line), and be trapped in fittings, fuel pumps, etc:

Recommended replacement line: Mercury or Quicksilver "EPA APPROVED" Line. This line is available in BULK lengths, either 5/16" or 3/8" Inside Diameter (we try to always keep plenty in stock). <U>The NEW, EPA APPROVED line is GRAY, with BLUE PRINT on the line.</U>

</TD></TR></TABLE>

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (stephens2516)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stephens2516 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The fuel line from my bulb to the engine is gray with orange lettering, but the line stops short of the engine and connects with a black line that goes to the engine. I'm having a hard time seeing it because there is the hard conduit that the lines go through and i can't pull it back enough to get to it. It looks like there is a part connecting the gray and black line.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I usually replace the line ALL THE WAY into the cowling (connected directly to the pulse fuel pump). This removes another "potential restriction point" (the rigging fitting you spoke of).

Would an auto parts story carry that kind of line or will i need to order it online? Thanks for you help. Oh and is there a way of taking the conduit off to work on the line.

18. Member

What is the per foot price for the 2 sizes? I am looking into replacing the line from the tank to the bulb and the bulb to the fuel pump on my 2001 TR-19.

Thanks

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

19. Member

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (GBhoss)

I'll be replacing my lines next weekend...just need to figure out how many feet and what diameter line I need for my 2007 Triton 215X and Merc 250 ProXS.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by stephens2516 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Would an auto parts story carry that kind of line or will i need to order it online? Thanks for you help. Oh and is there a way of taking the conduit off to work on the line.</td></tr></table>

You will NOT be able to get this line from an auto parts store.

We carry both sizes: By the foot (you specify length). Orders over $100 may qualify for BBC discount and free shipping (some product discount limitations apply).

Best way to order is through our parts department. Email address would be:
    "parts at europeanmarine dot org" (use appropriate symbols for emails).

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast