Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (EuropeanAM)

I just received new lines from Don and installed them on my 2009 250 ProXs. Both the line from the tank to the bulb and from the bulb to the motor were coming apart inside. This was on a Triton 20x3. It only took me about thirty minutes tops and was a pretty simple operation overall. Hopefully these new lines hold up better but I may just make it an annual winter maintenance item. Thanks Don for letting us know to look for this.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (sro114)

You're welcome. Once you've upgraded to the newer, "EPA Approved" (low permeation) hose, I would expect several years service from it (based on 10% or less ethanol content fuels).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (03TritonBill)

I saw 03Tritonbill @ the ramp this week. (I am the guy with the tan Ranger 520VX @ Orwood) Hearing his story & thinking about the possible damage made me revisit the motor forums! Last time I read up on the ethanol issues, I thought my lines would be okay. There should probably be a note attached to the sticky on Ethanol in the 'Mercury' forum. I added a post referring people to this thread

Anyway, since I had to take the boat apart to figure out the lengths, I ended up buying fuel lines locally. Was pretty easy to do. If anybody else is installing new lines on a Ranger 520VX, you can check out my post to get an idea on lengths needed.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=544610

Don, as others have already said, thanks for getting the info out!
    2003 520VX 225 Optimax

4. Member

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (civicrr)

I replaced my lines about 2 weeks ago...took about 2 hours. Cut the old lines open and they actually looked fine (this was on a 2007 rig with low hours), but it was money well spent...one less thing to worry about.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

5. Member

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (rpr)

Glad I found this thread. I have an 08 Nitro z7 . Bought new last April. Once last year and once already this year my water sperating filters alarm went off. I drained filter both times. But didnt check for any dirt. Saw this post and went out and took my fuel filter off and drained to check. It was full of gray gum and flakes from the gray line in the pics. Also alot of black chunks! Apparently ALL my lines are deteriating. As well as alot of water once again. My boat will not be ran again til I get ALL lines changed out. It has also lost of its power.
    I also googled ethanol in outboards and found alotta horror stories. I'm not here to sell anything, just want to share my story and hope that everyone at least checks their lines. This has happened to a boat that only been used for 1 year!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (shidoshiho)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by shidoshiho &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Glad I found this thread. I have an 08 Nitro z7 . Bought new last April. Once last year and once already this year my water sperating filters alarm went off. I drained filter both times. But didnt check for any dirt. Saw this post and went out and took my fuel filter off and drained to check. It was full of gray gum and flakes from the gray line in the pics. Also alot of black chunks! Apparently ALL my lines are deteriating. As well as alot of water once again. My boat will not be ran again til I get ALL lines changed out. It has also lost of its power.
    I also googled ethanol in outboards and found alotta horror stories. I'm not here to sell anything, just want to share my story and hope that everyone at least checks their lines. This has happened to a boat that only been used for 1 year!</td></tr></table>

Make sure you pump that fuel tank BONE DRY... and start with a FRESH load of fuel.

Don't forget to change the fuel filter, also.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (Heavy D)

that is the same thing my 225 optimax was doing . i changed the spin on filter and the fuel line from the primer bulb to the motor and it run fine now.. Thank GOD!!!!!

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (TimothyCone)

Got something I want to pass along. I've been wanting to replace all my fuel line for some time. I had been having problems determining exactly what I need and where to buy. Started finding everything I needed to know on BBC mainly from EuropeanAM. To make a long story short. I sent Don an email requesting a quote for everything I needed on the 31st. I received all my parts today. That's what I call Customer Service Thanks Don .

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (mlh1955)

You're very welcome, Michael!

10. Bob G's pool boy

This thread needs a bump. Maybe a sticky on all the Merc forums like the "Cold running an Optimax" thread. Great information.

Modified by billspence at 8:29 AM 11/21/2010

"I am going to Eufala to just idle around"
    -Haus

***NEW*** 2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4 cause I am such a baller.
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s with a bent ass trailer
    HDS16 live- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 live W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

Instagram @brettcarnright. Teamviewer: bCarnrite@33

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (billspence)

Thanks for the bump.... and if it's ever needed, it's pinned in the "Commonly Asked- Commonly Used" sticky at the top of this forum (along with dozens of other useful items).

I have an 01 Triton with an 01 Merc 225 Opti. I was running down the lake Saturday at 4500 rpm and she just died. Started right up but I knew I had a problem and headed to the shop with it.

The VST is full of crud and they will be replacing all the lines and cleaning things up. I asked them to add an external fuel filter I can watch. Anything else I need to do?
    Thanks

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (Painter1)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Painter1 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I have an 01 Triton with an 01 Merc 225 Opti. I was running down the lake Saturday at 4500 rpm and she just died. Started right up but I knew I had a problem and headed to the shop with it.

The VST is full of crud and they will be replacing all the lines and cleaning things up. I asked them to add an external fuel filter I can watch. Anything else I need to do?
    Thanks </td></tr></table>

Fuel lines, primer bulb, clean out VST and replace fuel filter.

EXTERNAL (additional) filters are NOT RECOMMENDED..... as they can (in and of themselves) introduce an additional fuel supply restriction.

This is what mine looked like...... all replaced and ready to go for the spring....

15. Member

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (Heavy D)

http://i1141.photobucket.com/a...7.jpg

Checked my line after reading this, no wonder i'm having problems. Down at Dale hollow running full speed and suddenly bogged down. computer diagnostics @ idle showed no problems @ marina. Should've had them do load test while on computer. Is there any reason to believe the pieces went beyond the water separator/fuel filter?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (phinphan)

Your water separating filter will USUALLY trap this debris. However, keep in mind, that on most of these engines, the PULSE (diaphram) fuel pump is located PRIOR TO the filter (meaning that it's a good idea to remove it, clean it, and install a diaphram/check valve kit).

Good catch!

17. Member

Don, ordered ball, new line, fuel pump rebuild kit, impeller kit from your shop last week. Thanks for the great cust service and speedy delivery. Installed it all today,(pump FULL of debris) checked for leaks and operation in the driveway and took it to the lake. Altho my wholeshot is without hesitation now, my top end is still only about 55mph max, was 70plus. As stated in previous thread, marina checked system on computer while @ idle while in Tennessee and said engine was perfect. Only 50n hrs on 2002 200hp opti. Don't know if problems are related but seemed to all happen @ same time. Thanks in advance for any help!

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (phinphan)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by phinphan &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Don, ordered ball, new line, fuel pump rebuild kit, impeller kit from your shop last week. Thanks for the great cust service and speedy delivery. Installed it all today,(pump FULL of debris) checked for leaks and operation in the driveway and took it to the lake. Altho my wholeshot is without hesitation now, my top end is still only about 55mph max, was 70plus. As stated in previous thread, marina checked system on computer while @ idle while in Tennessee and said engine was perfect. Only 50n hrs on 2002 200hp opti. Don't know if problems are related but seemed to all happen @ same time. Thanks in advance for any help!</td></tr></table>

Sounds like you've addressed your fuel line problems.... why not start a new thread on your problem, and we'll go from there. Don't forget to mention what you replaced (precisely) and why....

19. Member

So, I have inspected all of my fuel line and it is Merc with red writing, however, it was ordered new from Merc mid-'09. Just want an opinion if I should change it as a precautionary measure, but the pieces I cut out seem to be okay. My fuel line is gray all the way through. There is no color changes (solid color gray) while looking at a cross-sectioned piece of hose. There is no liner and it looks as if the hose is only made of one material all the way through - no layers. Is this how the blue labeled hose is? Could my hose be okay with the ethanol?

Just don't want to spend the $ unless necessary. Thanks!

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (cwolffman)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by cwolffman &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">So, I have inspected all of my fuel line and it is Merc with red writing, however, it was ordered new from Merc mid-'09. Just want an opinion if I should change it as a precautionary measure, but the pieces I cut out seem to be okay. My fuel line is gray all the way through. There is no color changes (solid color gray) while looking at a cross-sectioned piece of hose. There is no liner and it looks as if the hose is only made of one material all the way through - no layers. Is this how the blue labeled hose is? Could my hose be okay with the ethanol?

Just don't want to spend the $ unless necessary. Thanks!</td></tr></table>

Your answer was in the very first post on this thread:

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by EuropeanAM &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Here's a little information on what's happening to some of the "non-current" fuel lines (some even on 2009 or later rigs). This is not due to any defect- to put it simply, these lines were never designed to carry the levels of Ethanol that we're seeing in today's fuels!
    I've replaced nearly a dozen fuel lines in the last couple of weeks... they all looked like this (or worse):

Note the loose inner linings! These can either be sucked closed, OR pieces can shed loose (as did in this line), and be trapped in fittings, fuel pumps, etc:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspect your fuel line between the bulb and the engine. If you have this line... (Gray line with RED or ORANGE PRINT) it's probably a VERY good idea to replace it (even as a preventative measure):

Recommended replacement line: Mercury or Quicksilver "EPA APPROVED" Line. This line is available in BULK lengths, either 5/16" or 3/8" Inside Diameter (we try to always keep plenty in stock). The NEW, EPA APPROVED line is GRAY, with BLUE PRINT on the line.

Don't forget to CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER, primer bulb, and perhaps rebuild the pulse (diaphram-type) fuel pump if there's any question that the old line was deteriorating!
    </td></tr></table>

I would STRONGLY recommend replacement of any gray with RED OR ORANGE PRINT LINE.... preferably BEFORE problems are noted.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast