Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (EuropeanAM)

One of the issues i would have in replacing the fuel line is the conduit that the lines go through from the back of the boat to the engine. I'm guessing i would have to cut it unless there is another way. Also how could i go about buying some fuel line from you and a new primer bulb. I have a 2004 Mercury EFI

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (stephens2516)

replaced mine yesterday....
    1996 EFI mercury 225.....
    went straight to lake and IT WORKED....NEVER had to PRIME bulb after the first time....fished all day and never once lost prime...
    the line i replaced was one of those from W-mart that "SAYS" it was for a MERCURY...i had just put it on back in February...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by stephens2516 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">One of the issues i would have in replacing the fuel line is the conduit that the lines go through from the back of the boat to the engine. I'm guessing i would have to cut it unless there is another way. Also how could i go about buying some fuel line from you and a new primer bulb. I have a 2004 Mercury EFI</td></tr></table>

You've got an IM with email link.

I've found that it's sometimes easier to utilize a 1' long piece of "1/4 inch coated plastic cable" from your local hardware store. Insert the piece of coated cable into the old line, and into the new line (leaving approximately 1" gap between them).

Utilizing electrical tape, tape the old line, cable, and new line together. Take your time.... secure it well (but don't ball up too much tape).

Then, feed the new line through as you "pull the old line out".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar

I cut off a amall piece of mine going to the motor......2008 250xs......it looked o.k. but I took a screwdriver and scraped the inside of the line and an orange colored goo came out on the screwdriver

let's just say a replacement hose is in the works

Modified by jclark408 at 9:15 AM 5/4/2010
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

5. Member

Could this be why my boat runs great then all of a sudden bogs if u let off throttle it continues to run if u give it more throttle it kills it lets say i take off and start running it will go for like 30,45 seconds then bog out then il let out of throttle for 30 seconds then u can go again this a 86 merc 175

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS? UPGRADE YOUR FUEL LINE ... (Heavy D)

Certainly possible....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don

If your replacing back to the motor what size is the connector? Do you have to change anything if uping from 5/16 to 3/8th hose?

Q.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (Quantum)

You'll want to use 5/16" between the primer bulb and the engine (engine connector is 5/16").

3/8" can be used between the tank and the primer bulb.

The 13330Q07 primer bulb will accept EITHER size of line with ease.

9. Member
    After replacing the lines and the bulb, is there any special way to get the air out of the lines? Do I just need to squeeze the primer bulb?

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (GBhoss)

In most cases, point the arrow for the primer bulb "up" (skyward), and pump the bulb until firm.

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by GBhoss &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">After replacing the lines and the bulb, is there any special way to get the air out of the lines? Do I just need to squeeze the primer bulb?</td></tr></table>

I had to remove the fuel line at the motor and pump a few times to get the air out. I pumped till my hands were tired and the bulb wouldn't get hard but after I removed it from the motor it took only about 2 pumps and fuel came out. Then hooked it backed up and pumped 1-2 times and the bulb got hard. Hope this helps.

Oh, Thank you European Marine for the fuel lines and bulb.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

12. Member

Re: (tonka)

Don and Rhonda, Also, thanks for the lines and the bulb... what a quick shipment....

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

13. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

I assume this line change will not cost to much correct? also, if you use the "cocktail" is it even an issue sine your gas is being treated? Thanks
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (Puma Jim)

The "cost" is directly dependant on the "length of the lines".

Although I highly recommend the use of proper treatments (preferably the cocktail), today's fuels ARE attacking these lines, and I would highly recommend you strongly consider retrofitting BEFORE problems occur.

15. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Re: (EuropeanAM)

Don, what can I expect to pay for such a service. I am thinking this is a simple job and should not cost all that much correct? Thanks
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: (Puma Jim)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Puma Jim &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Don, what can I expect to pay for such a service. I am thinking this is a simple job and should not cost all that much correct? Thanks</td></tr></table>

MANY folks simply do it themselves. As far as the LABOR is concerned- that varies immensely from one rig to another. I've seen some where the whole thing can be done in 20 minutes (from the tank to the engine), and a few where you end up pulling seats, panels, and dozens of tie-wraps along the gunnel to get the old line OUT.

Generally speaking, I'd say the "average" would be somewhere in 1 hour range.

Re: (EuropeanAM)

I just did mine two days ago. Took me about 2 hours but that includes removing the seats and replacing the fuel lines from both tanks to the control valve as well.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

TTT as a reminder- we're seeing MANY with problems in this area!

I installed a new fuel line from the bulb to the engine and that seem to have fixed the lag problem i was having but now its idle not so well. Is it getting to much fuel fed to the engine? It seems like i have to throttle up as soon as i start it to keep it running. Is there a idle adjustment?

20. Member

FYI....I have an 03 Triton that has the solid rigging tube (not split loom) between the engine and the splash well. I got a few pinhole leaks in my black fuel line running through the rigging tube. Who knows how long it was there. This leak disintegrated my engine oil lines from the outside resulting in a leak that filled the rigging hose with oil untill it filled and poured back into my bilge area!!! I had to cut off the rigging tube, replace the oil lines and fuel hose. I also rebuilt the fuel pump just in case. Thank God they don't put the steering hoses through this tube also...I can't imagine what may have resulted from that! Prior to this I was experiencing the 3k rattle noise in the engine a lot of the Pro XS guys are concernede about. The noise is gone now. I can only think it may have been a lean knock from the lowered fuel pressure at certain throttle positions.
    You older Triton guys need to replace your fuel lines ASAP!!!!
    Posted this to the Triton Forum also.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast