Don, I'm confused on my level 1 Merc Monotor / NMEA 2000 wiring

My boat has two Lowrance HDS units that have built in antennas. I want to have engine information readout on them, so you got me the level 1 Merc Monotor. I'm hooking it all together with 4 black tee's. Two for the HDS units, one for the Merc Monitor and one for the power node that goes to + and -. (also two resistors on each end.)

My confusion is the Merc Monitor wiring harness also has wires that are labeled "External power harness for 2K network". Do I run those to + and - also? That seems like I'm powering the system twice, once thru the direct wires and once thru the NMEA 2000 backbone. If I only use one, which one?

Thanks

Mercury 200hp V6 DTS #2B590854

2. Member

Re: Don, I'm confused on my level 1 Merc Monotor / NMEA 2000 wiring (Baja 252)

Baja, I have the same mercmonitor as you and all you need to hook up for the mercmonitor harness is the ground lead to the boat ground and the NMEA 2K into a "T" in the network backbone. Your NMEA 2K network is powered already. Once you have everything connected, you will need to go into the Mercmonitor settings page and turn on the NMEA function and the rest is history! The data will be availble for the HDS units. Remember the NMEA 2K network is or supposed to be on a switched power source, so ensure it's on when setting it up.

3. Member

Re: Don, I'm confused on my level 1 Merc Mono ... (jaystein21x)

Thanks
    Mercury 200hp V6 DTS #2B590854

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Don, I'm confused on my level 1 Merc Mono ... (jaystein21x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaystein21x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Baja, I have the same mercmonitor as you and all you need to hook up for the mercmonitor harness is the ground lead to the boat ground and the NMEA 2K into a "T" in the network backbone. Your NMEA 2K network is powered already. Once you have everything connected, you will need to go into the Mercmonitor settings page and turn on the NMEA function and the rest is history! The data will be availble for the HDS units. Remember the NMEA 2K network is or supposed to be on a switched power source, so ensure it's on when setting it up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

There is a fuse in the MercMonitor's Harness that you would normally REMOVE when connecting to an "already powered" NMEA-2000 network.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Last edited by ejn1111; 07-23-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Moved to new thread

6. Member
    Best to open a new thread for your particular questions. Adding to someone else's thread, especially one that's 7yrs old, is considered post hijacking.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax