Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
  1. Member
    +1 really, might be drag boat runnin 140 octane
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Why are you cutting heads?

Those heads should bolt right on there. That should put you at 125-130 lbs cylinder pressure.
    I guess I read it wrong. Looks like the 250 heads need to be cut and not the 300. I guess it would depend on how much is slightly less on a 225EFI.

#1 -You must do the heads. 300 heads(67 cc) work well and will bump compression to about 130 pounds on a 250XB(slightly less on a 225EFI), but getting the 250 heads cut to 61 cc will give you about 140 pounds of compression(MADEFI can cut your heads for about 170.00 a set). That's about the max you can do on pump gas(93 octane). FYI the 225 EFI heads cannot be cut enough to help much on compression. Simon does some nice heads with interchangable chambers but I haven't tried them.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just be careful- I would recommend aiming for 130 psi (tops). It's been my experience that much higher than that and you have an engine that is VERY prone to detonation. And very unforgiving when it comes to fuel octane.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks Don, I'm expecting the 300 heads to get me around 125 as a bolt on. I did a compression check today in preparation and I had 110 on 4 cylinders, 109 on 1 and 112 on the other so I think my motor is a good candidate for the mods.

5. Member
    Can you add the higher compression heads with the stock 225 EFI ECU.

6. Member
    Also can anyone let us know who does the reflashing of the ecm’s now. I’m not sure that Simmons does it anymore. Anywhere else you can find any of this stuff?
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I don't believe you're going to find anyone that's modifying ECM's on these now.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thanks Don
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

9. Member
    So what are the racers going to do for reflash now?

10. Banned
    I’ve loved my 250 Xb on my champ- but now it bogs and won’t get on plain. Been slowly be coming an issue but has always got on plain after a brief lug. Now it’s a no go. At full down trim it sputters when hit the throttle- but if raise trim the rpms come
    up- but not enough juice to lift it out of the hole. Any ideas before I take it to the mechanic?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Showard View Post
    I’ve loved my 250 Xb on my champ- but now it bogs and won’t get on plain. Been slowly be coming an issue but has always got on plain after a brief lug. Now it’s a no go. At full down trim it sputters when hit the throttle- but if raise trim the rpms come
    up- but not enough juice to lift it out of the hole. Any ideas before I take it to the mechanic?
    Please take a moment to review the Forum Announcements, and open a separate thread for your engine (with engine serial number). Thanks!

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PULSARE1974 View Post
    Can you add the higher compression heads with the stock 225 EFI ECU.
    Yes. I run 300PM heads, 225 EFI fuel, 300PM ignition ECMs on a fishing boat. Not going to see much difference on top end, but it adds quite a bit of punch to mid-range. Port work is necessary to really see any top end benefits.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    Yes. I run 300PM heads, 225 EFI fuel, 300PM ignition ECMs on a fishing boat. Not going to see much difference on top end, but it adds quite a bit of punch to mid-range. Port work is necessary to really see any top end benefits.
    Thanks.

14. Kllr bee
    Showard,you need to check your reeds. Sounds like you broke one or it is a bad sparkplug

15. Kllr bee

Shocking

I can't believe the stuff I did so long ago is still relevant. I am glad I helped so many fellow nutburgers
    Richard

16. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kllr bee View Post
    I can't believe the stuff I did so long ago is still relevant. I am glad I helped so many fellow nutburgers
    Richard
    You gave us lots of good information. Only difficulty I ever had was finding a 250XB or 300PM fuel ECM that would work. Most would fall flat on their face at 5KRPM's, including modified Simon ECM's . They were all proven ECM's that I tried. I finally found one and the difference was night and day. That 2000 motor is still running with several thousand hours on it.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011