Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Recommended Annual Maintenance for Optimax Engines

Many have asked about Winterizing and/or performing Annual Maintenance on their Optimax Engines.

Here's a list of what we perform here in our shop (and recommend) as "Once per year, or EVERY 100 HOURS, WHICHEVER OCCURS FIRST" (Items in RED are related to winterization, and may be skipped if doing maintenance during the boating season):

-Computer Diagnostic (to read Run History and Freeze Frame "Fault" History). Run cylinder misfire test (*A compression test here is also a good idea).

-Ensure fuel is properly stabilized

-Test run engine long enough to get stabilizer through system. At idle: 30 minutes! In the water, under load: 10+ minutes.

-Test or inspect Thermostats. Verify proper cooling (including telltale stream)

-Verify Engine Mounted oil tank COMPLETELY full (if not, BLEED AIR from the tank)

-Inspect fuel lines, oil lines, belt and tensioner

-Inspect Air Compressor Filter (not used on all models), and compressor inlet strainer. Clean or replace as necessary.

(Air Compressor Strainer Cleaning Instructions): <<<-Click on Blue Text

-Replace water separating filter (inspect for water and debris)
    *While filter is out.... it's a good idea to add about 2 tsp of Quickleen & 2 tsp of Mercury Quickstore to the filter housing. Pump primer bulb firm, and run engine for at least 5 minutes on flush attachment.

-Replace spark plugs *** See note below if storing over 45 days.

-IMPORTANT- PROPER SPARK PLUG GAP: Wire gap tool, absolutely ZERO force between firing pin and arm (ever).
    Use the "Go and No-Go" method.

-Grease all zerks on engine with 2-4-C Grease

-Grease balls on ends of trim rams (short trim rams)

-INSPECT STRIKER PLATES- REPLACE if worn or damaged

-Remove propeller

-Change Gear Lubricant w/Mercury High Performance Gear Lube

-Grease Prop Shaft, and Retorque Prop Nut

-Retorque Engine Mounting Fastners, Jackplate Hardware, Gearcase Hardware and Steering Hardware

-Check fluid level in Hydraulic Steering (if equipped)

-Replace water pump impeller and gaskets (at a minimum) *** See note below if storing over 45 days. Check gearcase mounting hardware (ALL) with a TORQUEWRENCH.

-Perform a careful visual inspection of the engine

-Drain water from speedometer and water pressure tubing (blow backwards through tubes to expel water) for protection from freezing.

-Treat/Protect livewells and pumps to prevent freezing damage

-Park boat with engine in the "full down position"

-Turn off, or disconnect batteries (unless you choose to charge them regularly).

IF ENGINE WILL SIT FOR MORE THAN 45 DAYS:

*Note: If putting the engine up for more than 45 days, it is a good idea to hold off on spark plug and water pump replacement until AFTER storage. Fogging of the engine is best accomplished by:

-Remove the spark plugs, and place approximately 1 teaspoon of Mercury or Quicksilver Premium Plus oil into each spark plug opening.

-(Optional... but I prefer to do this): Remove top flywheel cover. Place 8-12 DROPS of 2-stroke oil into the 1/2" ID Air Compressor Inlet. NOTE: ONLY 8-12 DROPS... too much oil is a BAD thing. This is done to help prevent internal rusting of the compressor's cylinder. SEE BELOW LINK:

LUBRICATING COMPRESSOR- WITH PICTURE

-Remove Lanyard Switch (disable engine ignition)

-Ground spark plug leads (with a spark tester, or with jumper wires... second precautionary measure to prevent ignition)

-Place an old towel across the back of the engine to reduce oil splashing.

-Spin the engine with the starter for 2-3 revolutions to distribute oil evenly.

-Reinstall spark plugs.

-Replace spark plugs and water pump when the boat is "recommissioned".

Additional Recommendations:

-
    Once every 3-4 years, it's wise to consider having your Fuel Rails and Injectors Cleaned/Serviced. If you're interested in this service: www.integrityinjection.net/injectorservice.html
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 08-17-2023 at 06:10 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Banned

Re: Recommended Annual Maintenance for Optimax Engines (EuropeanAM)

JUST ANOTHER REASON WHY THESE FOLKS ARE THE BEST MERC PEOPLE GOING AND COMING

3. Member

Re: Recommended Annual Maintenance for Optimax Engines (bobski)

additional things too look at can be :

poppet valve

t-stats

waterstrainer

(There is a strainer that needs to be cleaned if you are finding shell in your pee tube. There is a water hose that comes off the lower port side of the block and runs to the lower end of the port fuel rail. Remove the hose at the block and then remove the barb fitting from the block. The strainer is part of that plastic barb fitting. This is very important as that flow cools the compressor and they have been known to be heat sensitive)

4. Member

Re: Recommended Annual Maintenance for Optimax Engines (Menno)

thanks for the info!!!!

Re: Recommended Annual Maintenance for Optimax Engines (lambdamoose)

When it says to "Park boat with engine in the "full down position"" does that mean trim all the way down? I usually park my boat with the engine trimmed down but not "all the way down". Thx

Woops...sorry guys it appears that this thread is no longer a "sticky thread". Did I do something wrong?

Modified by Ranchdip at 4:57 PM 2/28/2011
    2022 Skeeter FXR21 Apex
    Helix 15/ Helix 12 / Garmin 1222 / LS34 Livescope

Jer. 33:3

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Recommended Annual Maintenance for Optimax Engines (Ranchdip)

This thread is pinned via the "Commonly Asked- Commonly Used" thread, at the top of the forum.

Your engine is designed to self-drain the ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM when the trim is ALL THE WAY DOWN (full down position). Any position "shy" of ALL THE WAY DOWN may not fully drain properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member

Re: Recommended Annual Maintenance for Optimax Engines (EuropeanAM)

THANK YOU soooo much! You guys are the best!

EuropeanAM that is great service you offer and I'm sure the guys in SC appreciate your work!

8. Member
    What would the average cost be on that maintenance ?

9. Member
    I think I will print this out with Don's permission and give it to my dealer as a check list this fall,

thanks for the information

Mike

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeinAlabama View Post
    What would the average cost be on that maintenance ?
    Lee... you've got a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shortstick
    I think I will print this out with Don's permission and give it to my dealer as a check list this fall
    You're more than welcome to. :thumbup:

11. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    This is great info and I too would like a rough idea of the cost. Thanks

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You've got a PM, Jim.

13. Member
    I too would like the appx cost of the annual maintenance. I'm Considering purchasing a new Pro XS and as I understand, the annual maintenance must be performed by a certified tech to comply with warranty requirements.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Phil.... you've got a PM.

15. Member
    Thanks Mr. Don !

16. Member
    I would like to know the cost of this service as well. Thanks for the info!!

Thanks for your help

18. Member
    EuropeanAM, Could you PM me approx cost of annual maintenance?
    2002 G3 HP180
    2013 250 Pro XS-Jet converted

2001 Tracker Targa 18

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lennyg3 View Post
    EuropeanAM, Could you PM me approx cost of annual maintenance?
    PM sent.

I would like to know the cost also.

Thanks

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast