Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PM Sent.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    Hey Don could you send me a PM with the cost also?

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bolton_brian View Post
    Hey Don could you send me a PM with the cost also?
    You've got a PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Hey Don, Could you send me a PM with the cost also?

5. Member
    Don, approximate cost estimate if you please......

1st PHOENIX in Michigan

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You both have PM's.

7. Member
    Don, could you please pm me the cost also. Thanks

8. Member
    Now I need to know too!! Whats the cost??

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    PM's sent.....

10. Member
    Don i was told that it wasn,t recomended to fog or need to anymore. Is this true i havent for the last three motors. I run stabil threw it change filter add some stabil to rez do my lowerunit and trim it down and put her to bed.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phil2 View Post
    Don i was told that it wasn,t recomended to fog or need to anymore. Is this true i havent for the last three motors. I run stabil threw it change filter add some stabil to rez do my lowerunit and trim it down and put her to bed.
    Phil:

Not sure who told you this.... your engine still has steel/iron-based cylinder sleeves. If the engine will sit for over 45 days, it's strongly recommended.

Just picture a cast iron frying pan left out under the back porch for 1.5 months....

12. Member
    I had both local merc dealers tell me this so i havent. Ill break out the can of fogging oil this year.

13. Member
    Don,

When you have time can you pm me approximate cost?

Thanks in advance

14. Member
    Hi Don. Is it the exact same routine for a 300x? Just picked up a 2003 with low hours. Could you PM me with the cost of this service and the cost of your fuel injector cleaning service, as I do not think it has been done yet. Thank you very much.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Phil:

Not sure who told you this.... your engine still has steel/iron-based cylinder sleeves. If the engine will sit for over 45 days, it's strongly recommended.

Just picture a cast iron frying pan left out under the back porch for 1.5 months....
    Don, looking to clarify this not trying to debate...because I really don't know crap...but this is what the Merc site says on fogging..

Why is Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor not recommended in the newer EFI and OptiMax engines?

Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor uses a thick base designed to protect the internal engine surfaces. In some applications we have seen a build up of the thick base inside the injectors, causing the injectors to stick or operate incorrectly. On these models we recommend Quickleen and 2-cycle engine oil as a replacement for Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor. Quickleen is used to clean the injectors. The engine oil lubricates, as well as prevents rust from forming. We continue to recommend Fuel System Treatment and Stabilizer to help prevent the formation of varnish and/or gum in the gasoline. Always follow the storage procedures outlined in your Operation, Maintenance & Warranty manual and Service manual.

I probably should ask what the local marina where I had my motor winterized what they do so I know what is happening with my engine....I just assumed that everyone followed the Mercury recommended procedures... They are "outboard certified" for Merc...

Don, when you say "Fog" do you mean this procedure or were you referring to the stuff in the can..??? which I assume is what they mean by storage seal rust inhibitor...

Never Mind,,,I went back and read your initial post and you clearly state just to add a couple of drops to the cylinder....Thanks...

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Don, looking to clarify this not trying to debate...because I really don't know crap...but this is what the Merc site says on fogging..

Why is Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor not recommended in the newer EFI and OptiMax engines?
    Never Mind,,,I went back and read your initial post and you clearly state just to add a couple of drops to the cylinder....Thanks...
    You were correct that Storage Seal Rust Inhibitor is not recommended for fogging EFI or Optimax Engines, for the reasons stated above.

However, use of Premium Plus (or even Optimax/DFI) oil in the cylinders is just fine.

Another method is offered as well, which involves a VERY, VERY oil and stabilizer rich fuel supply to the engine. However, it's time consuming (and the supplies are not something most every DIY'er would have on hand).

17. Member
    What about draining the fuel from the tank. I usually like to do this if boat has sits for over a month, even though I am using the "cocktail". Just to always have fresh non-eth fuel in it. What do you think? What about 3 months which is more like what I will be storing. I don't want to fill the tank all the way up if I don't absolutely have to.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel tanks are best stored (two options, in order of PREFERANCE):

-BONE Dry (absolutely no fuel in the tank)

-Full (eliminating any air space) and properly stabilized.

With either option, it's always best to start with a FRESH load of fuel when putting the boat back in service (so you're actually going to be pumping the tank anyway).

19. Member
    Don,
    I would like to know the cost also.

Thanks

20. Member
    I know you might be sick of doing this, but could I get a PM of the estimated cost as well? Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast