250 PRO XB Octane requirement

I filled up with 91 Octane and I just found on google that these XB 250s require 93 octane with 92 minimum. Is this correct or am I OK with premium 91 octane ??

2. Member

Re: 250 PRO XB Octane requirement (canadablazer)

I always use the 93 octane for my 250XB....

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: 250 PRO XB Octane requirement (canadablazer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by canadablazer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I filled up with 91 Octane and I just found on google that these XB 250s require 93 octane with 92 minimum. Is this correct or am I OK with premium 91 octane ?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Although 92 or higher octane is required.... there are a few areas where it's simply not available.

In such a case.... I would strongly urge you to run "the highest standard pump octane available". Be sure to note the "octane formula" used (there are several different formulas.... most "pump" octane ratings utilize: R+M/2).

Keep in mind.... fuel left in your tanks over the winter will degrade in octane. On engines that require high-test fuel, I would recommend pumping the tank(s) in the spring, and refilling with FRESH fuel BEFORE running the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Re: 250 PRO XB Octane requirement (EuropeanAM)

FYI

ACES Octane Booster. Many of the HP guys over on Scream and Fly use and provide testimonials on the quality of this product. Jay Smith of Jay Smith Racing Engines endorses it.
    Since you only need to bump the octane level up by several points, a little will go a long way.

Contact information:

BND Automotive
    Brian Schubert
    440-821 9040

I run a 225EFI with 300 heads and 300 ignition module on 91 Octane fuel, performed numerous plug and piston top inspections, and found no evidence of lean burn. 3.0 EFI motors tend to run rich anyways, so I suspect that octane one or two points low will not adversly affect longetivity or performance, but the ACES may be good insurance and give peace of mind.

Gman
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

5. Member

Re: 250 PRO XB Octane requirement (Gamblinman)

High octane gasoline burns slower than low octane gasoline. The slow burn prevents engine knock when cylinder pressures are high.