3/12 - 3/15 Toledo Bend Report...

So, we have had these 4 days picked out for the Toledo Bend trip for about a month now...and of course, they're probably the worst 4 days of the month to be there. It was rainy and cold every single day. We didn't even get to fish on Friday because it rained from morning til night, non-stop. I know some TOBI guys fished that day and caught em, but I wasn't about to go get out there in 40 degree weather with pouring down rain.

Starting with Thursday, we were able to fish for most of the day that day besides about a 3-hour period of time in the afternoon where it decided to rain pretty hard. We fished some areas in Palo Gaucho/Alpine area in the morning up until about lunch...then it started raining so we took out and went and ate something at one of the local restaurants...then went back to the camp in Negreet and fished over there for about an hour in the afternoon. My Dad and I ended that day with 17 fish and 6 keepers.

On Friday, as I said above, we didn't do nothing but watch basketball at the camp...too wet and cold.

Saturday...we started the day fishing near Negreet and ran across the lake over to Alpine/Palo Gaucho around 11:00. Oh..and just as a sidenote, the boat lanes on the Texas side SUCK!! There are markers every 10 feet on the LA side..but as soon as you cross mid-lake to the texas side, it's like you're in the middle of nowhere. It took us forever to get to Alpine because we didn't know which way the boat lanes ran over there. This is only our 2nd trip to Toledo Bend. But anyway, it started raining on Saturday around 4:00, so we took out of the water then. We ended Saturday with 14 fish and 11 keepers.

Sunday, we went and launched back over at Palo Gaucho and fished until about 11:30AM...only caught 4 that morning...3 keepers.

So total tally for the trip for Dad and I was 35 fish with 20 keepers. We each caught a 4 lber, and I caught one Sunday morning that went 5.1 lbs(see pics below). But most of the largemouth we caught that were keepers were around 2.5 lbs..we didn't catch hardly any 14 inchers.

Baits we caught the most fish on were lizards, brush hogs, and senkos...but we did catch a few on shallow cranks and traps. Most of the fish were in 4-10 feet of water...only caught a couple real shallow. My 5.1 lber did come from a grass flat in about 3 feet of water though(red trap).

Of course now that we're back home, the next 3 days look perfect for weather on T-Bend But oh well..at least we did still catch some fish..

Here's some pics I took while we were there....

5 lber..

5 lber again(close-up of fish & bait)..

5 lber & 2.5 lber from last day...

Pic of Palo Gaucho...

2nd Pic of Palo Gaucho...

-------------------------------------------
    Justin Mayers

2. Member
    Forgot to mention...that 5.1 lber is still swimming...let her go to finish her spawning..which she'll probably do in the next week or two with the warm weather coming...

-------------------------------------------
    Justin Mayers

3. Member

Re: (frogpond11)

Justin-sent you an IM. Eddie

Re: 3/12 - 3/15 Toledo Bend Report... (frogpond11)

Nice pics! Looks like a good time.
    2000 Xpress X56
    125 Mercury

5. Member

Re: 3/12 - 3/15 Toledo Bend Report... (dmayers)

Good report.

I will probably head to my camp Thursday night and fish the weekend.