Don--- Updated, Coil test results from previous post.

Don

I was not able to get the computer to do the on water WOT missfire test. But i was able to get 2 new coils which i swaped out and ran each new combination. I was not able to tell any difference running the new coils in any combination.

Merc has sugested we get into the power head and see if a sleve in the cylinder is crooked.

Im going to try to record the data at WOT if I can get the tech with me on the water this week.

I spoke to you a few months ago about my 250proxs climing to 5,600ish RPM and cutting out. You got with my TECH on the phone and determined that the PCM was flashed wrong. He got with his Merc rep and they sent me a new PCM. Well it didnt fix the problem.

We changed all 6 injectors and spark plugs yesterday (as advised by merc) and ran it this morning but it didnt change anything. We were going to change the fule rails but I didnt have time to keep messing with it today.

Merc also said something about takig the power head off and looking into the cylinders to see if a sleve was crooked? that one is above my engine IQ.

Do you have any more guesses on things we can try? Were going to try to get Billy Powell down to look at it if we cant solve this soon. thanks again Don

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: Don--- Updated, Coil test results from previous post. (Stephen Mills)

Stephen:

The WOT Cylinder Misfire Test will help to narrow down any possibility of a "rotated sleeve" (as you have described it).

IF a sleeve is rotated, the affected cylinder would have "less RPM drop when compared to other cylinders" when that cylinder is selected for a WOT "misfire test".

Then you would know "exactly" where to look.

That would be my recommendation- it will, however, require that the boat be run on the water, with EITHER the Computer Diagnostic System or a DDT attached to the engine.

Be sure to report back....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor