Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT

Was reviewing KS fishing regs for 2012 and came across a couple of things that MIGHT be new:

Regs require that all bilges and livewells be drained before leaving the lake and operating on any highway (not sure but this MAY only apply when you are leaving waters that have been designated as harboring invasive species)

When leaving any waters that have been designated as harboring invasive species, you may not possess ANY live fish.

Guess that means those crappie and catfish that seem to hang on for an hour or two out of water might get you in trouble?!

I think my plan going forward when fishing is to put the crappie/catfish I catch in a cooler on ice and make sure my live wells and bilge are drained when I leave the lake.

Don't forget new licenses needed for 2012!!! Happy New Year!! Bob J

2. Member

Re: Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT (FSH4EVR)

Yep those are new and causing quite the commotion with crappie fishers. Kinda hard to have that law when you don't have fish cleaning stations at but just a handful of lakes. I clean mine at the lake anyway do not an issuer for me, but will be interesting how it is enforced.
    2019 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

3. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by FSH4EVR &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Regs require that all bilges and livewells be drained before leaving the lake and operating on any highway (not sure but this MAY only apply when you are leaving waters that have been designated as harboring invasive species)

When leaving any waters that have been designated as harboring invasive species, you may not possess ANY live fish.</td></tr></table>

Not possessing any live fish. This could present an issue during a tournament when trailering with fish in the livewell, if they have to be dead before you leave.

Re: Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT (kstatebass)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by kstatebass &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Not possessing any live fish. This could present an issue during a tournament when trailering with fish in the livewell, if they have to be dead before you leave.</td></tr></table>shouldn't be leaving a tx with fish anyway, only going to a weigh-in and then the fish are released

5. Kansas Bass Club Moderator

Re: Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT (War Eagle1)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by War Eagle1 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">shouldn't be leaving a tx with fish anyway, only going to a weigh-in and then the fish are released</td></tr></table>

This is true.

Re: Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT (H2O_Fowl)

thanks Bob!

This may not be in the regs yet but if you fish some of the lakes with what State has deemed Aquatic Nusiance Species you need to take a certification course. It is free and takes about 10-15 minutes to complete. Once completed take the test and print your certificate.

https://reserve.ksoutdoors.com...ation

Larry Freesemann
    TBFKS President
    Larry Freesemann

8. Member

Last year because of the heat i would just pull the plug and drain and put a couple bags of ice on the fish in the live well till i could get home to clean. That way i didnt have to mess with bringing a cooler just for the fish.

9. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar

Re: Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT (War Eagle1)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by War Eagle1 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">shouldn't be leaving a tx with fish anyway, only going to a weigh-in and then the fish are released</td></tr></table>

Several of LBC tx's we are allowed to put our boats in any part of the lake, just be @ the official ramp for the weigh in. However since we aren't fishing any KS lakes this year we'll be ok. Like Bob was saying it's the catfish & crappie that will get you in trouble.

10. Member

Re: Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT (Rodney Bledsoe)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Rodney Bledsoe &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

Several of LBC tx's we are allowed to put our boats in any part of the lake, just be @ the official ramp for the weigh in. However since we aren't fishing any KS lakes this year we'll be ok. </td></tr></table>

That's what I'm talking about, I've fished tournaments where you can put in at other ramps/parts of the lake if its windy, then bring your fish back to the main ramp. Example would be an ABA at El Dorado, tournament was out of Shady Creek and we trailer up north to another ramp. So you are taking your fish from the lake.

11. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar

Re: Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT (kstatebass)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by kstatebass &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote"> So you are taking your fish from the lake.</td></tr></table>

No all alive fish will be released and our weigh in site.

12. Member

Re: Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT (ksgoodfish)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by ksgoodfish &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">This may not be in the regs yet but if you fish some of the lakes with what State has deemed Aquatic Nusiance Species you need to take a certification course. It is free and takes about 10-15 minutes to complete. Once completed take the test and print your certificate.

https://reserve.ksoutdoors.com...ation

Larry Freesemann
    TBFKS President</td></tr></table>

I went on line and took the certification test (easy), printed my certificate and this is what it says:

"You must have this document in your possession while boating at certain Kansas lakes. A list of lakes requiring certification are listed on the KDWP website."

Looking through all of the fishing locations shown thru page 27 in the reg summary, only Council Grove lake shows a requirement for this certification. There are lots of others with ANS warnings, so the "drain" and "no live fish" rules probably apply. So better be safe, cause I expect to see more "certification" requirements in the future. Bob J

13. Member

Re: Kansas Fishing regs IMPORTANT (Rodney Bledsoe)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Rodney Bledsoe &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

No all alive fish will be released and our weigh in site.</td></tr></table>

I wasn't talking about your club/tournament. Just making a point that when trailering you are taking live fish from one place to another and our wonderful KDWP would probably consider that transferring live fish.

14. Member
    I went to KDWP site and read it.

If I interpret it correctly......If you launch from another area and you transport fish from the site & leave State grounds.....you are now in Violation of the reg.

Meaning.....if you are on another road or hwy to go to weigh-in.....you could be breaking that new Reg.......according to how it is written.

Sop lets say you were at Milford lake & weight in was at Thunderbird Marina but you lauched/loaded from Rush Creek and then transported back to T-bird area......you would be in Violation....................From the way I read it.

but thats only if Milford was designated as harboring invasive species.........otherwise Your OK.

In the case of ElDorado having Invasive Species.....then yes...you are in Violation under those circumstances.....Technically