USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

bad coil - imagine that

Been out of town for a couple of weeks but I pick up my boat this morning. Dealer said I had a bad no 2 coil which had all of 10 hours on it. Maybe I can go another 10 hours before another one goes bad. Wonder how far I will be from the ramp the next time. Very disappointed in the 2008 pro XS.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: bad coil - imagine that (Puma Jim)

Sorry to hear that! Please be sure you participate in the "coil poll"

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Re: bad coil - imagine that (EuropeanAM)

I did Don. Merc really needs to fix this coil issue or at least tell their customers something. I'm sure it is a good motor but I lost faith in it since I only got 10 hours on it and can't trust it anymore. Too much money for this motor to have problems like this.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Re: bad coil - imagine that (EuropeanAM)

Don, I ran my 2009 250 pro xs today (built 12/08) with approx 8 hours on motor. Holeshot was sluggish early, then got worse with a miss during the heat of the day. The motor would not turn enough rpms to plane off. I bumped the trim up a couple of times and the prop slipped enough to let the motor rev and plane off. This afternoon I removed the plugs from the 27 tempest prop, and the motor seems to run fine. does this sound like an early symptom of a coil problem? Thanks, Jerry

5. Member

how about 6 at one time

My boat is in the shop now. Test on the motor show all six coils have shorted. Since 1/20/07 with this makes 11 coils. This last time it was two long beeps and a short beep. You have a lot to look forward to. It has 240 hours and I have lost 6 months of fishing during the last two years.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: bad coil - imagine that (alabamaphoenix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alabamaphoenix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don, I ran my 2009 250 pro xs today (built 12/08) with approx 8 hours on motor. Holeshot was sluggish early, then got worse with a miss during the heat of the day. The motor would not turn enough rpms to plane off. I bumped the trim up a couple of times and the prop slipped enough to let the motor rev and plane off. This afternoon I removed the plugs from the 27 tempest prop, and the motor seems to run fine. does this sound like an early symptom of a coil problem? Thanks, Jerry</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to get yours in and have it checked.

Yes, a failed or failing coil is a possibility- as is a spark plug, fuel filter, tracker diaphram, leaking air or fuel pressure diaphram, direct injector, various sensors, etc. etc.

Starting with the basics (spark test and spark plug inspection, followed by air/fuel pressure tests & compression test) will yield the best results.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Re: how about 6 at one time (oldmanbasscat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oldmanbasscat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My boat is in the shop now. Test on the motor show all six coils have shorted. Since 1/20/07 with this makes 11 coils. This last time it was two long beeps and a short beep. You have a lot to look forward to. It has 240 hours and I have lost 6 months of fishing during the last two years. </TD></TR></TABLE>

"Six coils shorted (at one time)" has a probability way out there "in the stars".

I'd be looking for a harness issue, a faulty kill switch (or improperly wired kill switch), a faulty CPS, or possibly a PCM issue.