Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats

Hey guys I am looking to get a new boat. I have had a tracker 175 and I am ready to get a boat with more storage, bigger front deck and more power than my little 50 I had.

I have been looking around and found a Nitro X-5 with a 115 Merc. I am looking for more of a entry level/small bass boat like this. I do not want a 20' with a 200hp boat. This to me seems like a good start for me and I REALLY like the larger deck and storage options for a boat this size.

I just wanted to see if any you have this boat or similar boats this size (17'4) to see what + or - you had about them.

I do most of my fishing on KS lakes but do like to make a trip to LOZ, the Rock or Grand now and again. But most of the time I make those trips during the week to try and stay away from all the boat traffic.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
    2019 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

2. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (chadku)

Buy a good used BIGGER boat and be done with it, What turn around in 2-5 years just to buy another one.

3. Larry Stoafer

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (Rodney Bledsoe)

Don't think you want a Nitro.....the price on those things directly reflect there quality....They just aren't made all that well. Check out how the lids fit the boxes and the flex in the lids and boxes......I spent a couple hours a week or so back with the regional Ranger rep going through there boats from bow to stern.....The Z100 series is a high quality entry level boat...http://www.rangerboats.com/models.cfm?gid=30&mid=6015

4. Member

my boat is for sale if your interested......VERY low hours (under 100 hours) and taken care of. There are a few guys on here that have seen my boat......seems like my boat fits your needs......and as it is now......it will save you about 10K over a new boat right now too!!

let me know if you need more information.

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (R.D.)

i have seen Ryan's Boat and it's a nice one

6. Member

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by chadku &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">I do most of my fishing on KS lakes but do like to make a trip to LOZ, the Rock or Grand now and again. But most of the time I make those trips during the week to try and stay away from all the boat traffic.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. </td></tr></table>

I have fished the exact same way since 2005 with my boat. It has been on Table Rock, Truman, Milford, Mozingo, a lot of T/M only lakes or no wake lakes......I dotn see anything wrong with it......Granted it doe not have a 200+hp motor so it wont go 65+mph.....but it will get you to same locations as any other boat.

7. Member

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (R.D.)

Sent you a PM Ryan

Thanks for the advice on the Ranger....I imagine those are just a little more than I can afford. The Nitro I found was at the max I wanted to spend and it was just a little less than others that I have seen....I have been going back and forth between used and new, but it seems like every time I see a used one I would like its gone just that quick....
    2019 Triton 18 TRX

8. Moderator

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (Lsto19)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by Lsto19 &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">Don't think you want a Nitro.....the price on those things directly reflect there quality....They just aren't made all that well. Check out how the lids fit the boxes and the flex in the lids and boxes......I spent a couple hours a week or so back with the regional Ranger rep going through there boats from bow to stern.....The Z100 series is a high quality entry level boat...http://www.rangerboats.com/models.cfm?gid=30&mid=6015

</td></tr></table>

I'll play devils advocate. Wish All do respect, I'll have to respectfully disagree. I have seen plenty of nitros that look and perform very well. I've just noticed that alot of the ones I see are rode hard and put away wet. As for any boat, if you take care of it, they will take care of you.. All boats are well built these days. Yes, some better then others, but nitro has come a LONG way...I would not hesitate to buy one, and I've fished from about every brand out there.....

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (dukhntr)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by dukhntr &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

I'll play devils advocate. Wish All do respect, I'll have to respectfully disagree. I have seen plenty of nitros that look and perform very well. I've just noticed that alot of the ones I see are rode hard and put away wet. As for any boat, if you take care of it, they will take care of you.. All boats are well built these days. Yes, some better then others, but nitro has come a LONG way...I would not hesitate to buy one, and I've fished from about every brand out there.....</td></tr></table>
    Might be the second time ive ever agreed with you.

10. Member

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (ALF1)

Go with a Z7

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (taly-ho)

If it was me I look at the boat 4 sale board and buy used myself, but if you want a new boat then I look at the startos.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

12. Larry Stoafer

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by dukhntr &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">

I'll play devils advocate. Wish All do respect, I'll have to respectfully disagree. I have seen plenty of nitros that look and perform very well. I've just noticed that alot of the ones I see are rode hard and put away wet. As for any boat, if you take care of it, they will take care of you.. All boats are well built these days. Yes, some better then others, but nitro has come a LONG way...I would not hesitate to buy one, and I've fished from about every brand out there.....</td></tr></table>

No doubt RJ....we will have to disagree on the Nitros......I have crawled around on a few of them as well......They have gotten better but .....I would agree with your statement on other major brands...but not them...It's simple economics how do they keep there prices below the other major brands....part of it is you have to pay for almost every accessory that come standard on other lines.....the other inferior parts...check out how the lids seal and how flimsy the storage boxes are...

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (Lsto19)

and wasn't it Ranger just the other day they was talking about stepping through the lids?????

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (bigfishingstud)

look around and get the best boat you can afford, don't buy into that BS of entry level, you will be wanting a better boat in a year or two, so get it now and be done looking. Why buy a boat that you are gonna want to sell in a couple years IMHO

15. Member

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (War Eagle1)

Didnt mean to here. I am glad to hear all the reponses and opinions. I don't think of it as a boat that I would want to turn around and upgrade in 2-3 years. I know I said a good start, but I want a boat I could have for atleast 10 years probably. Going in to looking I did not think I could afford a new boat, but I think I found one at a price that I can make work in that X-5. It caught me off guard a little at that price because others I saw where 2-3k more. So that is why I wanted to get eveyone's thoughts.

I have a buddy who has a 99 Nitro and has had it since he bought it brand new. So I know if you take care of it then you can make it last. I understand not everything will be top notch but because of my budget I have to understand what I can afford vs what I would like. It does suck that alot of the options like the TM depthfinder at the console etc are less than what I would like to have. So I have to take into consideration there will most likely need to be some upgrades with teh new boat that I may not have if I buy used if they are in good shape...atleast not right away hoepfully.

Just a lot of things to consider and things like the seals on the storage is something I havent even thought about. So any feedback you all have I certainly apprecaite. I am going to be pretty patient and I think I will be happy with whatever I get.

I really appreciate it!
    2019 Triton 18 TRX

the one thing I can say about buying a new boat , is that taxes are going to be a killer. I would guess that if you could find a dealer that would work with you on your opitions, but thats going to cost extra.
    Cheaper to keep a kid in tourney fishing than paying attorneys to keep them out of jail !!

17. Member

I'll play devils advocate. Wish All do respect, I'll have to respectfully disagree. I have seen plenty of nitros that look and perform very well. I've just noticed that alot of the ones I see are rode hard and put away wet. As for any boat, if you take care of it, they will take care of you.. All boats are well built these days. Yes, some better then others, but nitro has come a LONG way...I would not hesitate to buy one, and I've fished from about every brand out there.....</td></tr></table>+1

18. Member

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (whoza_daddy)

<table width="90%" cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 align=center><tr><td>Quote, originally posted by whoza_daddy &raquo;</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">If it was me I look at the boat 4 sale board and buy used myself, but if you want a new boat then I look at the startos. </td></tr></table> +1 I have beeb looking thru a lot of used boat ads and sites, there are some deals if you look around.

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (John Br.)

Chad if you get back down this way next weekend there will be a Nitro X-5 at Albers Fishing and Hunting show for you to check out.

20. Member

Re: Nitro X-5 Boats/Other Smaller Boats (Richard F.)

Doubt I make it down there but that was the one I saw

But I am running across a lot of boats for less that are just a few years older and that may give me an extra foot and some better options with the TM, electronics etc out of the gate so I am starting to lean going that way.
    2019 Triton 18 TRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast