Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    I ordered the X2 Group 31 from Batteries Plus this morning. It has to come from their warehouse and takes a week. There is also a 10% discount.
    picked mine up today also

2. Member
    I just put in a new battery with a standard 34D battery with 1000 CA and 800 CCA. The boat cranks and runs immediately, unlike the previous starting marine battery with 600 CCA. The previous battery starts very hard.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevechumo View Post
    I just put in a new battery with a standard 34D battery with 1000 CA and 800 CCA. The boat cranks and runs immediately, unlike the previous starting marine battery with 600 CCA. The previous battery starts very hard.
    Hard to keep an Optimax happy with a battery that doesn't meet engine required minimum of 800CCA. More is always better and also why, for fishing applications, 925 - 950CCA is recommended.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Question on why the X2Power group 27 930CCA isn't recommended for my Verado 350?

Reason asking is my dealer put a cheap group 24 600CCA starting battery in my boat. Haven't had any issues starting in 2yrs of ownership but want to change out to a better battery. House battery is a group 27 that runs all electronics and pumps. I don't have room for two group 31 X2 batteries. Wanting to replace both batteries to the 27 X2. I can combine both batteries by switch to aid in starting engine in case of emergency. Any reason why this shouldn't work?
    2019 Blackjack 256
    Mercury Verado 350

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PATRO View Post
    Question on why the X2Power group 27 930CCA isn't recommended for my Verado 350?

Reason asking is my dealer put a cheap group 24 600CCA starting battery in my boat. Haven't had any issues starting in 2yrs of ownership but want to change out to a better battery. House battery is a group 27 that runs all electronics and pumps. I don't have room for two group 31 X2 batteries. Wanting to replace both batteries to the 27 X2. I can combine both batteries by switch to aid in starting engine in case of emergency. Any reason why this shouldn't work?
    If you read Don’s first post, he recommends 975CCA for your motor. While being slightly undersized probably won’t be an issue, the recommendation has to have a threshold.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PATRO View Post

Tjat 600 CCA battery was terribly under-rated, and in all honesty, not "just" an inadequate cranking battery: A potential SAFETY concern as well.

The engine's charging system is designed and intended for ONE (1) AGM Battery, with ample rating. If you intend to use more than one battery, the correct way to do that is install an approved Battery Isolating system.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having ample capacity properly connected to these Digital Throttle and Shift engines. Those systems cannot function properly without adequate voltage (under ALL circumstances).

If you would like further assistance with this, feel free to open your own (separate) thread for your engine, and provide the engine serial number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 76Champ View Post

Picture as an example - you still have threaded stud that can and will get corrosion on it and will still require cleaning.
    I think we can all just agree that however you do it we all should probably be checking and cleaning any connector.
    Where can I find these at?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    From what I see in that picture... looks like there "may" be some steel components in that terminal.

One that's come out and is built VERY well is offered by T&H Marine (Part# HYBT-320-DP). I would simply remove the thumb nuts from the post being used for the engine cables (and replace with a stainless locknut).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    From what I see in that picture... looks like there "may" be some steel components in that terminal.

One that's come out and is built VERY well is offered by T&H Marine (Part# HYBT-320-DP). I would simply remove the thumb nuts from the post being used for the engine cables (and replace with a stainless locknut).
    thank you sir!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Hard to keep an Optimax happy with a battery that doesn't meet engine required minimum of 800CCA. More is always better and also why, for fishing applications, 925 - 950CCA is recommended.
    I definitely agree with you that's more is better. I just thought the 800 CCA is the only size that can fit in the compartment. After bringing it home, I found out that I could fit a bigger one in there. I removed the red plastic cap of the terminal, so Autozone didn't let me exchange it. I'm stuck with the 800 CCA. I think the 800 CCA is adequate to start the Optimax, because it starts instantly just like cars. I also have a second deep cycle battery for accessories.

11. Member
    Some good info on galling with stainless steel nylon locking nuts

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...d-galling.aspx

Where can I find the required CCA requirements for my 200 Optimax (2004)? I’m thinking about switching to lithium for my starting battery and see a wide range of CCA rating from the various manufacturers. Any concerns with using lithium for the starting battery.
    Last edited by Skandy35; 12-15-2020 at 09:44 PM.

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandy35 View Post
    Where can I find the required CCA requirements for my 200 Optimax (2004)? I’m thinking about switching to lithium for my starting battery and see a wide range of CCA rating from the various manufacturers. Any concerns with using lithium for the starting battery.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....5#post11551215
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandy35 View Post
    All Optimax engines require 800CCA minimum, engine only no accessories. For recommendations see the very first post to this topic. CatFan's link is something you should read as well.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    All Optimax engines require 800CCA minimum, engine only no accessories. For recommendations see the very first post to this topic. CatFan's link is something you should read as well.
    Man, I agree!!!!!!! I just ordered a Vexus AVX2080 w/ the 200 Merc Pro XS... As part of my deal, I would be bringing the batteries, I was just going to get 3 of the Sam's Club 31 AGM's (800 cca), but looking at CatFan's info, I'll be getting the Batteries Plus X2 Power w/ 1150 cca's for the cranking battery! Thanks a bunch for this info!!!!
    2021 Vexus AVX2080
    Sapphire Blue
    Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Garmin Force
    Garmin ECHOMAP Ultra 126sv (2)
    Garmin LV34
    Ionic 125/100 lithium batteries

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to thank CatFan... he put a lot of time and effort into re-vamping the batteries list.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Be sure to thank CatFan... he put a lot of time and effort into re-vamping the batteries list.
    Yep, that's who my shout out was to..... u and CatFan!!! great info!!!!!!
    2021 Vexus AVX2080
    Sapphire Blue
    Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Garmin Force
    Garmin ECHOMAP Ultra 126sv (2)
    Garmin LV34
    Ionic 125/100 lithium batteries

18. Member
    XCA31-1400 AGM Iveco Group 31

Does anyone have experience with this battery on a 250 4 stroke? Seems to be about $100. less expensive than the others..

Thanks
    Dave

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bass57348 View Post
    XCA31-1400 AGM Iveco Group 31

Does anyone have experience with this battery on a 250 4 stroke? Seems to be about $100. less expensive than the others..

Thanks
    That’s the VMAX listed at the top. Where did you find it that cheap?
    nothing else matters.​

So the BPS pro series x-900 could run all my accessories and crank my 200 HPDI? 2 - 12" graphs 1 - 9" and pumps?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast