Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks Don will get this one load tested then follow your instructions.

Just get a little worried when out on Lake Erie and engine doesnt want to turn fast enough to start.
    2019 Crestliner PT 20 - Mercury 200 Pro XS 4s - Columbus, OH

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonsweb View Post
    Don,

I got caught out on Lake Erie yesterday and noticed my engine was having trouble starting. Merc Smart Craft showed 14.1 while running but when I started you seen it drop down to 11.6. I then ran back near ramp and fished out day.

Battery that is installed is Deka Marine Master 24M7 unfortunately I have no room to upgrade in my Crestliner PT20 with 3 trolling motor 27's, 1 Power Pole, Charger there is not any more room for a larger cranking battery.

I just installed Lowrance 3D, Hydrowave plus have two HDS Carbon 9's and one power pole with airrator running all day I can see where I am having some issues.

The Deka Marine Master is just 13 months old.

So what options do I have with a 24 size battery? Does a 34M offer me anymore capacity?

I been looking at Cabelas x-900 or Battery Plus X2? Any other option?
    The 34M and 24 are the same physical size, difference is the "M" has standard auto style terminals and threaded stud. If you have to stay with a 24 size battery pick the one with the highest CCA, RC, and warranty.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Which battery should I go with that is the least expensive yet still meets the requirements? 08 250 pro xs, graphs, livewell, etc.

Can this Battery thread be updated to include Lithium Starting Batteries?

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper1 View Post
    Which battery should I go with that is the least expensive yet still meets the requirements? 08 250 pro xs, graphs, livewell, etc.
    The cheapest battery that meets the requirements probably won't be very good in a bass boat. The requirements in this thread pertain to operating the outboard and associated equipment which means 800CCA and 135 minute RC. An Interstate 24M-XHD meets that requirement for $123, but you will not be happy with it if you have electronics and try to run livewell pumps and shallow water anchors etc..

The Duracell 31 marine AGM from Sams is the cheapest I'd even consider at $180, but if you put much of a load on it may not last a long time. 800CCA and 200 minute RC.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Member
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...1p30/2100010-P

Dont let the Farm and Truck label fool you. This is one powerful battery ( check the specs only ) and you get another 25% off if you give them your email.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Can this Battery thread be updated to include Lithium Starting Batteries?
    Not at this time, as some engines referencing this thread cannot be used with Lithium Batteries.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    I was advised by Battleborn Lithium batteries that their lithium batteries, although have worked, they still would not advise them as a starter battery. Trolling motor batteries only.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not at this time, as some engines referencing this thread cannot be used with Lithium Batteries.
    Could you update those engines that cannot use lithium starting batteries?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    Could you update those engines that cannot use lithium starting batteries?
    V-6 and V-8 Fourstroke Models Specifically REQUIRE AGM Batteries- and are not suitable for use with Lithium Batteries. Since the original post is not about Lithium Batteries... that's about all we should add here.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    I've got a limited amount of room where I can put my cranking battery. I need a battery that has a max length of 12". '08 250 pro xs, power poles, livewell, graphs. Is the odyssey pc1500 my best bet?

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I've got a limited amount of room where I can put my cranking battery. I need a battery that has a max length of 12". '08 250 pro xs, power poles, livewell, graphs. Is the odyssey pc1500 my best bet?
    You are just over the threshold with that battery, so it’s not a good choice considering it’s $300 IMO. But if space is that tight you might not have a good choice. If you don’t tournament fish, don’t have a big electronics load and you run the outboard a lot, you might be okay. Otherwise you need to figure out a way to get a bigger battery in there.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You are just over the threshold with that battery, so it’s not a good choice considering it’s $300 IMO. But if space is that tight you might not have a good choice. If you don’t tournament fish, don’t have a big electronics load and you run the outboard a lot, you might be okay. Otherwise you need to figure out a way to get a bigger battery in there.
    What I need is a good group 34, then a short fat tractor agm to run in parallel. That should get me what I need.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What I need is a good group 34, then a short fat tractor agm to run in parallel. That should get me what I need.
    Not a good idea. Don't recommend parallel batteries for cranking- certainly not batteries that are not identical.

Good idea to open a separate post for your engine/boat, perhaps post a picture or two of your battery compartment for suggestions.

15. Member
    Currently have an Interstate 24M-XHD, which came from the factory on a new '18 Nitro Z19 Sport with a Merc 150 fourstroke. I have tons of room in the rear compartment for a larger battery. Just installed a Noco Genius to charge/maintain. Pretty vanilla setup.

I've outfitted the boat as a striper machine, and when I go out the average trip will be 8 to 12hrs. Don't really want to depend on alternator charging, as it's often been the case that long runs are infrequent.

I want to ensure that my battery will be able to crank the 150 a few times and at trip end, considering the following draws:
    - HDS Carbon 12, operating for 8 to 12hrs;
    - StructureScan 3D module, operating while Carbon is on;
    - 30 gallon standalone bait tank for shad (powered by 500gph pump, ran nearly constantly);
    - standard marine stereo, no amp, for background tunes; and
    - boat's LED navigation lights, usually on all night long while striper fishing.

I'm thinking the factory battery isn't gonna cut it, and I don't want to risk a 5+, or many more, mile limp back to the landing with the trolling motor.

I want to stick with lead acid for consistency with my TM bank. Thinking that a decent 31 size cranking battery would be a worthwhile upgrade. Max budget is $250. Any advice? Thanks.

16. Member
    X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 34M Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Marine & RV Battery. You won't be disappointed.

Batteries Plus, 10% off when you buy online and pick up in store.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...ls/sli34agmdpm

Throw in a set of jumper cables just incase.
    Last edited by Ed R; 01-13-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post
    X2Power Premium AGM BCI Group 34M Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling) Marine & RV Battery. You won't be disappointed.

Dang - that's a heckuva battery. Looks great. Thanks for the recommendation -- this is what im getting.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed R View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Greywalls View Post
    Dang - that's a heckuva battery. Looks great. Thanks for the recommendation -- this is what im getting.

Quick follow up question: Guy in one of the stores seemed to suggest that the X2Power 34M wouldn't be significantly different than my current Interstate 24M-XHD, and that maybe it was the X2Power 27M or, certainly, the 31M that was being recommended. Thoughts? Thanks!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greywalls View Post
    Quick follow up question: Guy in one of the stores seemed to suggest that the X2Power 34M wouldn't be significantly different than my current Interstate 24M-XHD, and that maybe it was the X2Power 27M or, certainly, the 31M that was being recommended. Thoughts? Thanks!
    Get the 31M.....

SL131AGMDPM
    Last edited by Savage; 01-29-2019 at 07:02 AM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Get the 31M.....

SL131AGMDPM
    +1. The NOCO Genius doesn't care about your TM batteries, each individual charger bank is independent of the other and will automatically detect correct profile for battery that bank is connected to. I've had a Gen 3 on my boat for 7yrs connected to a PM-1 (now Northstar 31AGM) and two wet cell, lead acid batteries for my trolling bank. Contact NOCO (what I did when installing the Gen 3) and you'll get the same info.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast