Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bb45 View Post
    Free shipping, it is a heavy battery but I run everything listed below and lots of night fishing and has done well so far. Had the Sam's duracell and it only lasted 2 years, but that was the minimum and it gave a low voltage alarm in winter at 1st start up, within the first year of service. Added a house battery for electronics then bought this.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/VMAX-XCA3...tery/759005824
    Pay close attention to charge requirements

"Minimum Charging Current: 20A, Charging Voltage: 14.4-14.9V, Float Voltage: 13.5V-13.8V"

"Warning: Do not use a charger with smaller amperage than the recommended Charging Current shown above.Maintainers should ONLY be used to maintain a fully charged battery but NEVER as a charger."
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

2. Member
    where are recommendation for old 2.5 with stator ?
    No AGM;s right.
    Last edited by Zx175Bassman; 09-06-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: more info

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zx175Bassman View Post
    where are recommendation for old 2.5 with stator ?
    No AGM;s right.
    3L Forum Post. But yes, you are correct that AGM batteries are not recommended with the older 2.5L (stator-type) charging systems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Don, I have a question about your post. You don't say anything about the 975 CCA's needed that is in the new Mercury V8 4 stroke Operational Manual that Mercury has documented. Yes, 800 MCA is minimum for (SAE). so theoretically if I was to get one at 1000 MCA's I think I would be good. The next line it says "International (EN) 975 CCA's. Your post says nothing for that.

I live up here in MN and we fish from April to Oct. In April you can still have some chilly mornings and in October I have fished in 32 deg weather days with a pile of snow on my front deck all the while still catching fish. the point is we have some cold weather so CCA's are critical to our motors. I'm lost as to knowing what the right battery should be for this new 2019 motor. The MCA's should be a higher rating than the CCA's but Mercury's Operational Manual has that reversed and it confusing a couple of battery companies I've called seeking a battery per the manual. Mercury even called me back confirming their operational manual requirements.

Something isn't right.....

5. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trytonman View Post
    Don, I have a question about your post. You don't say anything about the 975 CCA's needed that is in the new Mercury V8 4 stroke Operational Manual that Mercury has documented. Yes, 800 MCA is minimum for (SAE). so theoretically if I was to get one at 1000 MCA's I think I would be good. The next line it says "International (EN) 975 CCA's. Your post says nothing for that.

I live up here in MN and we fish from April to Oct. In April you can still have some chilly mornings and in October I have fished in 32 deg weather days with a pile of snow on my front deck all the while still catching fish. the point is we have some cold weather so CCA's are critical to our motors. I'm lost as to knowing what the right battery should be for this new 2019 motor. The MCA's should be a higher rating than the CCA's but Mercury's Operational Manual has that reversed and it confusing a couple of battery companies I've called seeking a battery per the manual. Mercury even called me back confirming their operational manual requirements.

The document is pointing out that the SAE way of measuring CCA is different from some other countries as designated by the EN rating.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trytonman View Post

You are reading a thread in the 3L 2-stroke Forum, and attempting to apply it's specifications to a 4-stroke engine model.

The V6/V8 engines need a BARE minimum of 975 CCA, in an AGM BATTERY. Yes, as you mentioned a different spec is provided under "SAE", but it is virtually (or perhaps even absolutely) impossible to have a battery that would be 975 CCA and 800 MCA. REVERSE those two figures and it's possible.

It's a typographical error that's in a TON of manuals. Unfortunately, we must apply a common sense factor sometimes- the engine is going to require the same capacity AGM battery regardless of where it is located (only difference being the rating method applied).

We stick with the CCA Ratings, regardless.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Has anyone had any issues with the X2 PowerPremium 31M 1150 CCA batteries from Batteries Plus? I’ve had two go bad on me (starting battery on 5 battery config 300HP V8 Verado & kicker) in the past 5 months with essentially no use. Found them both in a ~5V discharged state and my 80A Schumacher charger gave me the dreaded “Bad Batt” indicator.

These batteries are supposed to be one of the best out there. Even if there’s a parasitic draw somewhere that really shouldn’t completely kill it so it won’t take a charge, correct? The last one was confirmed to be bad by Batteries Plus after they tried to get it to take a charge over a 24-hour period with no luck. They replaced that one with this one about 5 months ago. I wonder what they’ll say this time.

Is there anything in particular you guys would check re:wiring?
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rpr View Post
    Has anyone had any issues with the X2 PowerPremium 31M 1150 CCA batteries from Batteries Plus? I’ve had two go bad on me (starting battery on 5 battery config 300HP V8 Verado & kicker) in the past 5 months with essentially no use. Found them both in a ~5V discharged state and my 80A Schumacher charger gave me the dreaded “Bad Batt” indicator.

These batteries are supposed to be one of the best out there. Even if there’s a parasitic draw somewhere that really shouldn’t completely kill it so it won’t take a charge, correct? The last one was confirmed to be bad by Batteries Plus after they tried to get it to take a charge over a 24-hour period with no luck. They replaced that one with this one about 5 months ago. I wonder what they’ll say this time.

Is there anything in particular you guys would check re:wiring?
    You either have a charger problem or aren’t charging them often enough. If the Schumacher is the only charger you are using, it is a very, very poor choice.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    I have a MinnKota 460PC for 4 batteries (including the starting battery) and a 110PC for the 5th aux battery in the boat. The Schumacher was only used to try to get the starting battery back up to charge from the depleted 5V state since the 460PC goes into safety mode whenever the charge drops below 10.4V.

The other 4 batteries were all fine, this has happened to my starting battery twice in the past 5 months.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I have a MinnKota 460PC for 4 batteries (including the starting battery) and a 110PC for the 5th aux battery in the boat. The Schumacher was only used to try to get the starting battery back up to charge from the depleted 5V state since the 460PC goes into safety mode whenever the charge drops below 10.4V.

The other 4 batteries were all fine, this has happened to my starting battery twice in the past 5 months.
    The starting battery can’t drop below 10.4V unless the charger is broken or not plugged in.
    nothing else matters.​

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Rich- I'd be checking for a rather extreme parasitic draw (beyond the small one the engine may have).

Also- make sure that your cranking battery has CLAMP style terminals installed on the big posts- place the ENGINE cables, Clean-Power and Charger leads ON the Marine Clamp-Style Posts.

Anything else can go on the threaded ones, which are in some cases affected by vibration and can give some rather strange results (in testing). While this battery is constructed much better than the old Sears Die-Hard 31M was... we learned from those that utilizing this type of terminal will save you a lot of hassle in the long run.

^^^^^^^ and then try this before condeming the battery
    Rich if that battery is down to 5 volts, connect the charger to it, jumper the battery to one that is charged up, then turn on the charger, after a few minutes disconect the jumpers from the host battery (no sparks please) and see if the charger then continues to charge the battery. Some charger will do this and not start the charge process when voltage is very low. It may take while before the charge rate starts climbing and voltage begins to drop.
    I agree with CatFan in regards to that charger though
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    Thanks guys. I should have been more specific that the on board chargers were not plugged in for approx. the past month. Everything was fully charged last month, but the boat has been in the driveway since then and not plugged in. I figured the batteries would deplete slightly but did not expect to find the starting battery down to 5V. This was essentially a rinse and repeat of the same scenario about 5 months ago.

After my above posts I also found that some water made its way into the starting battery compartment, including the battery tray. Seems like any rain water that gets through my cover runs along the top lips of the storage compartments and pools in the starboard stern area, right where the battery compartment is. I drilled several holes in the battery tray to prevent it from pooling at the base of the battery, but this is clearly not a good thing and I’m thinking this is probably the issue. Don’t know how I can redirect this water away from that area.

Many thanks for the other suggestions. I do have a clamp style connector on the positive post but it does not have one on the negative post (came from the factory this way). I’ll definitely get a clamp connector on that negative post.

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Thanks guys. I should have been more specific that the on board chargers were not plugged in for approx. the past month. Everything was fully charged last month, but the boat has been in the driveway since then and not plugged in. I figured the batteries would deplete slightly but did not expect to find the starting battery down to 5V. This was essentially a rinse and repeat of the same scenario about 5 months ago.

After my above posts I also found that some water made its way into the starting battery compartment, including the battery tray. Seems like any rain water that gets through my cover runs along the top lips of the storage compartments and pools in the starboard stern area, right where the battery compartment is. I drilled several holes in the battery tray to prevent it from pooling at the base of the battery, but this is clearly not a good thing and I’m thinking this is probably the issue. Don’t know how I can redirect this water away from that area.

Many thanks for the other suggestions. I do have a clamp style connector on the positive post but it does not have one on the negative post (came from the factory this way). I’ll definitely get a clamp connector on that negative post.
    Your problem is just lack of charging. The water has nothing to do with it. Your outboard will drain the battery some. If you have a GPS receiver connected without a switch, that could add to the drain, but the bottom line is you need the charger on more. If you don’t want to leave it on all the time, plug it in once a week for 24 hours.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    100% agree ^^^

16. Member
    Thanks guys.

17. Member
    I was told by the counter guy at Napa that NAPA batteries are made by Deka. So the Napa battery in the list should be the same battery as the Deka. I just had to replace my car battery and the batteries from Napa(unlike the Auto parts chain stores) carried a 60 month warranty. Well Group 31 batteries never had a long warranty though. I believe I may go pick up a Napa 7236.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I just have not read through all 35 pages of this thread.
    Last edited by Cyrus; 07-07-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Added info

CatFan do you something I don't about this battery

Napa commercial BAT 7234 is my choice in that class, far stronger battery at 1125 CCA and 195 minutes reserve
    I think most Napa battery's are all east penn these days, For sure the commercials are
    Last edited by lpugh; 07-07-2020 at 09:06 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Napa 7235 has the better posts for using the recommended clamp on terminals.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The sheer number of East Penn commercial batteries is a problem. Terminal types, orientation and battery performance. I’m not sure how to handle them. I went into a store and noted the ones they had on the shelf and then looked up the specs.
    nothing else matters.​

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast